S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dealer Tire Swap 2010 S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Tire Swap 2010 S4

Has anyone had a successful experience with a dealer swapping the summer tires for all seasons. Car expected to arrive end of January. Also would appreciate hearing recommendations on all seasons , leaning toward Michelin Pilot Sport Plus.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor

The Pilot Sports are a pretty good all season. What kind of budget were you working with for tires?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am running Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The OP is asking about getting the dealer to SWAP the tires on the car for all seasons, IE he doesn't want to pay. I can tell you...good luck with that! Some dealers may do it for a fee because mounting and balancing isn't free. Just a question if they have a wheel/tire exchange policy. I can tell you we don't
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK. I asked about this and was told no (not free). It was mentioned that I might be able to get somebody who an B8 A4 to swap wheels/tires with me.

Bruce
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not recommend the Michelins. Not because they are not good tires, but there are other A/s tires that are just as good for less money. I have personally used the Conti Extreme Contacts on my B4 S4 and on my daughter's Lexus Is 250 AWD. I was very happy with them. I also had a set of Kuhmo Ecsta ASX on the S4. They were cheaper than the Contis, but didn't go quite as well in the snow. Conti now has an Extreme Contact DWS which has a better treadwear rating. That will be the tire I put on my wifes Lexus IS250 AWD. Seems to be an improved version. Another tire that I would consider is the Pirelli P Zero M+S. Don't be confused about the Pirelli P zero neros. There is a P Zero nero summer tire, a P Zero M+S, and a P Zero nero all season. The All season and M+S are the same tire just renamed.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrGP
I would not recommend the Michelins. Not because they are not good tires, but there are other A/s tires that are just as good for less money. I have personally used the Conti Extreme Contacts on my B4 S4 and on my daughter's Lexus Is 250 AWD. I was very happy with them. I also had a set of Kuhmo Ecsta ASX on the S4. They were cheaper than the Contis, but didn't go quite as well in the snow. Conti now has an Extreme Contact DWS which has a better treadwear rating. That will be the tire I put on my wifes Lexus IS250 AWD. Seems to be an improved version. Another tire that I would consider is the Pirelli P Zero M+S. Don't be confused about the Pirelli P zero neros. There is a P Zero nero summer tire, a P Zero M+S, and a P Zero nero all season. The All season and M+S are the same tire just renamed.
Check this out http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 01-11-2010, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, the Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, the Yokohama ADVAN S.4. and now the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS. These are all good tires that have been in the top portion of the tire rack UHPAS ratings over the years.

I have some friends that are running the Conti Extreme DWS tires and they like them.

Bruce
Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

The real question is why Audi doesn't give you a choice of A/S tires. I know this is a performance model and many prefer an summer winter set up. But for those of us who lease and and don't really want snows, A/S tires are a viable alternative.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All the S4's I have bought DrGP have come new with summer tires. It has always hacked me off. I only run one set of tires all year long and I do alot of skiing. Most of the nice UHPAS tires are copies of nice summer tires with reasonable snow traction.

I may draw some fire here, but I find a good A/S tire to be fine in the snow. Crap, I have been driving here in the mountains (skiing) for 38 years now. I used to run 4 wheel studded snow tires with 2WD, but these AWD cars are better in the snow than my old 2WD setup with just A/S tires (this is my 4th AWD car). The key is to drive within your traction limits.

Bruce
old, crabby, and still working

Quick Reply: Dealer Tire Swap 2010 S4