S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Declined tire insurance - tire blowout at 500 miles!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Declined tire insurance - tire blowout at 500 miles!!

Tonight, I hit a deep pothole in NYC horrendously winter ravAged roads. Called Audi roadside asst and flatbed arrived in 30 minutes. Only 500 miles on odometer. I was expecting much longer before regretting not taking tire insurance! Any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I assume these were your snow tires, right?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Embarrassingly summer tires pzeros on 19 inch titanium rims. I know the comments will start to fly. But I did not have option to get all seasons and I have no place to stow extr set of winters. Not sure what to do. Do they make run-flats for this wheel?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a similar problem with less than 1000 miles on my tires. It was a piece of 1" wide steel strap (some kind of hanger) stuck into the tire. Couldn't be fixed.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That flat tire will be the least of your problems if you actually continue to drive in the snow with summer tires...
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mjc_123
Embarrassingly summer tires pzeros on 19 inch titanium rims. I know the comments will start to fly. But I did not have option to get all seasons and I have no place to stow extr set of winters. Not sure what to do. Do they make run-flats for this wheel?
My 335 came stock with 19" runflat Potenzas, so I'd have to assume they could be found for the Ti wheel.

Though I dislike Runflats. They muddy the feel and are heavy, though having a flat without a spare is... annoying.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would not kick my self on the tire insurance if I were you. Personally, I do not insure anything but catastrophic risks (house burn down for instance). My theory is that I become the insurance company for those other risks. Unless I am very unlucky, I may lose money on any one purchase where the insurance would have paid (tire blow out after 500 miles), but it is more than offset by the savings on all the other things I did not insure where there was not a problem (cell phone, refrigerator, TV, high deductible on car insurance, tires on all my other cars....). You may lose any one role of the dice, but like vegas, you become the house and I expect to win over my lifetime. With tires for instance, between my wife and myself, we have been driving about 30,000 miles/year for 30 years. We have had two tire replacements between us. This is my philosophy anyway. Hope it eases your mind.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JJsLegacy
That flat tire will be the least of your problems if you actually continue to drive in the snow with summer tires...
+1 - you are just asking for an accident. You should ask your Audi dealer if they will store your Summer tires and wheels during the Winter months. ALL of the German dealerships do this for their customers, and that's where my Ti rims and Summers are currently sitting.

If that's not an option, then you need to get all-season tires asap. Just order them from tire rack or whatever. It's pretty easy to get all-season tires if you try.

Last edited by xxShadowxx; 01-27-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
+1 - you are just asking for an accident. You should ask your Audi dealer if they will store your Summer tires and wheels during the Winter months. ALL of the German dealerships do this for their customers, and that's where my Ti rims and Summers are currently sitting.

If that's not an option, then you need to get all-season tires asap. Just order them from tire rack or whatever. It's pretty easy to get all-season tires if you try.
+1

I recently needed to replace two of my OEM summer tires due to potholes as well and it was cheaper to replace all four tires with all season Conti DWS tires than to just replace the two OEM tires.

If you don't have a place to store a second set of wheels/tires, take this chance to replace all four with A/S and perhaps sell your OEM tires to at least recoup some of that cost. With only 500 miles, they're practically new. =)
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing happened to me.... well almost.... I actually put the spare on and drove to the tire store.... Cost me around $400 to replace.... live and learn....

Quick Reply: Declined tire insurance - tire blowout at 500 miles!!