S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Default screen on engine startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope so, and radio default to presets...
Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by asm777
But with VCDS, I understand people have figured out how to default the ADS to "Individual"
You can actually change the default to either Individual, Comfort, Auto or Dynamic.

I too wish you could do the same for the satnav.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
This must be Regional Navi setting 'programming', but you would suspect that same development thought process / logic would apply regardless of market region. In my case (Japan Navi) it does what you are suggesting. What gives so??:-(
S4Tokyo, to confirm, so if you had your MMI screen on MAP when you turn off the car, the next time you turn it on, the MMI starts up on the MAP screen not the "Enter Destination" screen?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

S4Tokyo, to confirm, so if you had your MMI screen on MAP when you turn off the car, the next time you turn it on, the MMI starts up on the MAP screen not the "Enter Destination" screen?
That's what I get .... apart from I think short breaks in driving keep it how it was.... I think.

Normally it's at the Enter Destination screen. Perhaps it depends if you're mid jouney or not and 9 times out of 10 I'm not.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi asm777, YES this is correct - when / if MMI is switched off, when I switch IGN back on a) the MMI remains at default Navi screen and b) [obviously I guess] remains at GPS location which I'm at for that given point in time, whether following destination program or not. Put another way, Navi screen is default, if I want other 'Media', 'Settings' etc., then I need to move from Navi to those screens.

[IF I wanted one of those other screen to be default at IGN ON however - which I don't - then thinking of where you're coming from, I don't know of any user interface way to do so....maybe VAG, I'm guessing]
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a difference between Navi screen and MAP. There are several screens associated with the Navi screen, there is one MAP screen. Mine always boots to the "enter destination" navi screen.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default MMI Navi - "Enter Destination" vs. "MAP" screens

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
There is a difference between Navi screen and MAP. There are several screens associated with the Navi screen, there is one MAP screen. Mine always boots to the "enter destination" navi screen.
Agreed. I've attached two images that hopefully help us get to the bottom of this.

AFAIK, in the US, if you had your car in "NAV" mode when you turned it off, the next time you start the car, you'll always see the "Enter Destination" screen (First attachment - MMI_start.jpg). What most of us would like for the default behavior to be would be to start back on the "MAP" screen (Second attachment - MMI_map.jpg).

Scotty (UK) and S4Tokyo, are you seeing the "Enter Destination" or the "MAP" screen of the NAV when you boot up?
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Scotty (UK) and S4Tokyo, are you seeing the "Enter Destination" or the "MAP" screen of the NAV when you boot up?
You're killing me! .......................... kidding;-)

Think I have it. As I see / understand it now, in Japan (not sure about Scotty in UK), we don't have a 'Enter Destination' default screen at boot up i.e. IGN ON, it's simply goes straight to a MAP default screen ...what I was previously referring to as Navi default.

Attached is pic or Navi (MAP) Screen that defaults at IGN ON, whether starting new journey or interrupting guidance (car/IGN stop) at some point along a destination route. My case I just happen to have split the map to 2 views, one permanent at a preset (1km) fixed scale and the other I scale in / out as I drive according to location and scale need.

For some overkill I've added some screen dumps of NON default pages which I call up as and when I need to use Navi.

OT maybe but a feature I like - not sure it applies to US Navi - is being able to call up any business / establishment address by simply inputting the Ph. No., which traces right to the establishments GPS address. Saves a lot of otherwise address input detailing;-) Hopefully the pic names are self explanatory.
Attached Images     

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 01-15-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed. I've attached two images that hopefully help us get to the bottom of this.

AFAIK, in the US, if you had your car in "NAV" mode when you turned it off, the next time you start the car, you'll always see the "Enter Destination" screen (First attachment - MMI_start.jpg). What most of us would like for the default behavior to be would be to start back on the "MAP" screen (Second attachment - MMI_map.jpg).

I get exactly the same as you in the US i.e. it starts in "Enter Destination" where as I'd like it to start in the Map view.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

S4Tokyo, why does Audi make your car's Navi default to Map and make the rest of us in the US (and the UK at least) quite envious of how Audi decided to program your car? =)

I wonder if there's some way we can compare your car's programming vs. ours... I think we need Ross-Tech or David (of Audienthusiasts.com) to help us!

Quick Reply: Default screen on engine startup