S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Default screen on engine startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asm777
S4Tokyo, why does Audi make your car's Navi default to Map and make the rest of us in the US (and the UK at least) quite envious of how Audi decided to program your car? =)

I wonder if there's some way we can compare your car's programming vs. ours... I think we need Ross-Tech or David (of Audienthusiasts.com) to help us!
Can't help asm777, need one of the IT guys on board to perhaps suggest direction.

My guess is that yes it's just a line code that calls up whichever screen at boot up, but whether that code is accessible through VAG is a different question. My 'non-IT head' tells me that it's a line code within the Navi S/W which Audi have directed to local Navi maker to provide but which VAG cannot reach?

I worked on a BMW OEM development of Electronic Toll Collection product application for example, [different system to NA / EU types I understand] and know from that experience that 'BMW Japan' proposed to AG in Germany as to what the Japan interface etiquette should be. Taking from that I'm guessing Audi Japan did likewise w/Ingoldstadt for our Navi....it's a different Navi package to NA afterall.

Perhaps Audi NA, UK etc just took what Ingoldstadt set up from beginning, which was to 'package in' a Tier3 Supplier source map system, on what I believe (from Audi Tech here) is a Nav H/W system supplied by a company called Aisin. In addition the boot up screen sequence is likely carried over from old US / UK mkt Navi's and nobody in Ingolstadt has been asked to review with possibility of changing?

Back to modifying that setup however ....your guess is as good as mine, clearly;-) Think it's do-able though, not talking about writing pages of code, right:-) Good luck!

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 01-17-2011 at 03:04 PM.