S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

did not realize "pulley swap" changes diameter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on guys, not everyone is up on the latest news...

But to the OP, keep in mind if you go through with an ECU Tune, Audi will now be able to tell it's been done and will flag your car so that you lose your powertrain warranty.

Gotta pay (read pray) to play!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
So I was talking to the nice guys over at 034 Motorsport about my brakes and the discussion changed to horsepower. It went something like:

"How about we reprogram your car?"
"Uh, I think it has enough power."
"But if you change the pulley..."
"Yeah, this isn't a Honda. I think Audi used high quality light weight pulleys."
"No, it's not the weight. We change the diameter so it turns more times per belt pass."
"..." [thinking]
"Oh, and we bought the computer from APR so we can reprogram it on site."
"..." [thinking]

It also turns out that APR released version 2 of the software in February. It's basically $1500 for the software, $550 for the pulley assembly, and 3 hours labor @$110. I called them on 3 hours of labor to install 1 pulley but apparently it is a complicated assembly that you have to very carefully extract. It wasn't meant to be removed so you have to pull out other components underneath with it and replace them all.

Essentially the extra turns of the pulley force about 20% more air into the engine. If you don't flash the software these simply blow out of the bypass valve. The new software helps make the same power about 800-1000 RPM lower than stock, and at the high end you get a completely different car (a monster).

With a pulley, APR calls it "stage 2". Seems to be a better offering than STASIS.

Sorry, I had to!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK OK, I'm living in silicon valley. I'm focused very narrowly on a couple of things. If it's not news about cloud computing or startups, I completely miss it. I have a very expensive TV that I do not watch. I only get my news from Twitter. And sometimes I don't drive my Audi (or any car) for two months. It sounds a little crazy but I guess you have to be in it to understand it.

Anyway, I've been getting back to the track so now I'm catching up on this.

Do you bench racers know how the pulley install actually happens? They told me they have to put the assembly in an oven to 375 degrees on the shop floor, and then they have about 10 seconds to slide it on before it cools and the center shrinks.

Just so happens when I was picking up my car the APR rep was in town from Alabama. We chatted at length about the B8. Really knowledgeable guy.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
Do you bench racers know how the pulley install actually happens? They told me they have to put the assembly in an oven to 375 degrees on the shop floor, and then they have about 10 seconds to slide it on before it cools and the center shrinks.

Just so happens when I was picking up my car the APR rep was in town from Alabama. We chatted at length about the B8. Really knowledgeable guy.
Just giving you a hard time. No need to call us bench racers seeing as several of the guys on here actually installed it in their own garages. I had a shop do mine though I do know the process. When it was first released, a few shops posted up pictures of the install. 034 might have actually been one of them.

The pulley really changes the car dramatically. I cannot imagine driving without it. The graphs don't do justice for how significantly different the car feels with the pulley + tune vs. just tune.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Half of my thread:
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Installation instructions for the pulley:

http://www.goapr.com/support/pulley_30tfsi.pdf
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man, good to see you posting again Pulley takes 1 hour or so to install. I've watched my local shop's tech put the car into service mode in about 15 min tops. There are 4 torx to remove a simple plastic skirt up front, then literally about 8 bolts or less to loosen which slides the bumper away from the front end - the bumper is NOT removed. From there you take about 2-3 minutes to remove the belt and old pulley.

New pulley has to be slowly heated in an over at a certain temp to get the metal to expand so it will slide easily on the nose of the pulley shaft - around 2+ hours, but charging labor for sitting around waiting on a pulley to heat when they can do other work while waiting is BS. New pulley goes on in less than 10 seconds and cools fast, snugging down tight on the shaft of the supercharger. Another 15 min to put the belt and front end back together.

ECU takes 5-10 min to remove, another 5-10 min if it's 6MT for the shear bolts, then they have to pry it open and flash it - however I will tell you that 034 does NOT have the gear yet to flash B8 S4 on site. They have the new computer to do most all ECU's but no B8 S4 stuff that this computer uses has shipped out yet, APR is targeting April, so they will soon. I'd say under an hour for ECU work to remove, flash, and reinstall if they are talking everything.

2 hours is fair, 3 is pushing it to pad the bill IMO.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Hey man, good to see you posting again Pulley takes 1 hour or so to install. I've watched my local shop's tech put the car into service mode in about 15 min tops. There are 4 torx to remove a simple plastic skirt up front, then literally about 8 bolts or less to loosen which slides the bumper away from the front end - the bumper is NOT removed. From there you take about 2-3 minutes to remove the belt and old pulley.

New pulley has to be slowly heated in an over at a certain temp to get the metal to expand so it will slide easily on the nose of the pulley shaft - around 2+ hours, but charging labor for sitting around waiting on a pulley to heat when they can do other work while waiting is BS. New pulley goes on in less than 10 seconds and cools fast, snugging down tight on the shaft of the supercharger. Another 15 min to put the belt and front end back together.

ECU takes 5-10 min to remove, another 5-10 min if it's 6MT for the shear bolts, then they have to pry it open and flash it - however I will tell you that 034 does NOT have the gear yet to flash B8 S4 on site. They have the new computer to do most all ECU's but no B8 S4 stuff that this computer uses has shipped out yet, APR is targeting April, so they will soon. I'd say under an hour for ECU work to remove, flash, and reinstall if they are talking everything.

2 hours is fair, 3 is pushing it to pad the bill IMO.
Thanks. APR was saying end of May for the on site B8 flash when I talked to the rep. I figure Memorial Day.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 03-18-2012, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
lol

Quick Reply: did not realize "pulley swap" changes diameter