S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Difficulty of JHM Short Shifter Inst

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty of JHM Short Shifter Inst

I'm considering the JHM short shifter. How difficult a DIY is it really? I've viewed the instl video and it doesn't look too bad, but that's someone who has done hundreds of these and knows the ins and outs. How tough is the alignment to get right?

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but a bit apprehensive about tearing apart the interior and shifter. I can imaging having it partially installe then running into problems with it being undriveable.

Any coaching or tips from those who've done this is appreciated.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Installed mine June last year. Overall it went very well. The video instructions from JHM are good. I wrote out key steps and followed while doing the install. The only snafu was that I changed the spring based on the video and did not read the insert with the product that shipped indicating they had already gone to the middle firmness (vs the soft).

If you decide to change the spring, get a retention clip tool to remove and replace the lock ring. Also, once installed, it takes 2 people to change the spring with the shifter in the car. One to hold the shifter up (spring compressed) and the other to place the lock ring.

The shift is much nicer than stock. These cars should come with a short shifter as standard.

My recommendation is that you get it.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad at all, and much easier if you have 2 people, but can be done with one. It will likely take a couple hours by yourself. The magnetic inclinometer that the guy I installed it with got from home depot stopped functioning halfway through so I was able to finish it up with measuring tape. You'll know if it isn't right because you won't be able to get the car into reverse. I also had the dealership check mine at the 5k service and the alignment was within factory spec.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did mine yesterday, took about 2.5 hrs by myself. The only problem I had was I accidentally knocked the linkage in gear and was trying to do the alignment while in gear (instead of neutral). Otherwise, it was not too difficult. I had my laptop in the passenger seat with the video loaded up to reference while I did it.

I agree with other posters, shifting is much better with it. It is a must mod. I am sorry I waited this long to do it.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

here's what I've noticed after years of watching JHM shifters sold/installed:

if you DIY it and are patient and thorough (a.k.a. you tend to read instructions and do what a man in an instructional video tells you), it's not that tough, but just takes time to get right. Once you are done, you'll report back that it is a fantastic part that has transformed your right hand's connection to the car in a 100% positive way.

if you DIY it and are impatient, it will be a bit of a pain, and you'll probably rush it and not do it right...then you'll complain that the JHM shifter doesn't work.

if you take it to a shop, in 8/10 cases, that shop will rush it and **** up the install...then you'll complain that the JHM shifter doesn't work.

No matter which course you follow, the part is fantastic...and has been proven in thousands of Audis over the past 5 years.