S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY: Protection screen for intercooling radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyknosis
I think I saw somewhere that some company makes one of these for the B8...am I imagining things?
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. It's GMG, apparently I completely overlooked it on the audizine thread.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great writeup NWS4Guy! I plan to do this too!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
No, GMG has one but it's excessively costly, I think about 450?
Wow. Is that a joke? How could it possibly be that expensive?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

It looks like the GMG mesh is one where you would need to remove the front bumper and apply it to any exposed areas. This is much more involved than the original poster's DIY project.

I could be wrong, but just appears that way looking at their pics.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyknosis
Wow. Is that a joke? How could it possibly be that expensive?
I know it's at least 250, but for some reason 450 is what I remember - I could be wrong. Compared to less than $10 for my home version, no thanks. The GMG looks great, it not heavy and overkill. Looks like black pointed expanded metal, heavy guage stuff.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I know it's at least 250, but for some reason 450 is what I remember - I could be wrong. Compared to less than $10 for my home version, no thanks. The GMG looks great, it not heavy and overkill. Looks like black pointed expanded metal, heavy guage stuff.
Geesh -- just looked at my intercooler tonight after washing the car and there have to be 50 little dents in the fins. I have less than 3000miles on the car, but recall getting blasted by a salt truck on a freeway one time. The driver turned on the salt spreader as he was going onto the freeway's off ramp, just as I was about to pass. It looked (and sounded) like it was hailing. That's probably the cause of the fins getting bent. Fortunately I only found one small paint chip after that event.

This looks easy enough to do, won't take much time and will do the job. Fortunately, my late father-in-law (a mechanical engineer and avid experimenter) had a 3' sheet metal stomp sheer in the basement (now our basement), so I can easily cut the mesh in just a couple of "stomps", instead of using dykes! I was thinking of using of using some plastic door edge guard on the edges of the mesh to keep the sharp edges covered. Pretty inexpensive and readily available. Here's one source: http://www.bellautomotive.net/index....hk=1&Itemid=48 May need to fasten with silicone sealant.

Thanks for the great "mod" - it's one that doesn't cost much but can prevent some very costly damage.

PS - Just read the other post with discussions on mesh size. I just found a source for 1/4" black polycoated galvanized mesh at that TWP website. See http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/product...4D0250W48X10BL

I would have to buy a 4' x 10' roll at $75 though. Going to contact them and see if they could slit a roll into two 2' x 10' rolls (so I can use my 3' shear to make six 24"x34" pieces). Shipping was under $20 for a full 4' roll, so this should still be relatively inexpensive. More to follow!

Last edited by GUEST123; 03-17-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Discussions about the mesh size and coatings is why I encourage everyone considering this to read it all and gather information to help them decide what to go with for their car.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just called GMG. 395 plus S/H. Must take front bumper off to put it on. I think too much work and price compared to the minimal mod we can do on this post.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

you can always find nicer grill mesh around on the internet compared to the home depot version. Just depends on how much $$ you want to spend on this i guess.

i'm sure all the sites that sell Honda body kits sell the stuff.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just bought some 1/8" hardware cloth. Found a local hardware store that sold for $2.75/foot. I put a quarter underneath of it just for size reference
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: DIY: Protection screen for intercooling radiator