S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Do you keep your valet key in the glove box ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you keep your valet key in the glove box ?

Since I have my car ,I never pay attention to the valet key .
I had my car parked by valet but just gave them the regular remote key .
Yesterday ,I decided to explore the valet .
I start the car with the valet key ,it works only if the plastic key is inside .
I tried to start the car with the valet remote and no plastic key inside ,car does not start ,the display on dash board say “remove the key “
I did not drive the car with the valet key ,
So my question is : If you give the valet key to the valet, he can park the car but he also can open your glove box or trunk because he has the plastic key inside the valet key remote .
What about ,you leave your car without locking the doors ,anybody who know Audi can just open the passenger door ,take the key from the glove box and start the car !!!!
How ,you guys deal with the valet key ? Mine in at my house .
Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patinsd
Mine in at my house .
That is how I handle mine as well. I plan to get an APR tune when it comes out and I'll just put it in Valet mode before handing it over and problem solved for me.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you are not quite doing it right - the fob in your glove box is your emergency housing and only works with the plastic "wallet" key inside as you noted. this is for emergency use only, not valet parking.

To valet park your car you turn the switch in the glove box to valet, lock the glove box with the metal key inside your fob, then hand the valet the fob minus the key core. You can use the key to lock your trunk and seats as well to prevent access.

At least that it is how it was explained to me at delivery, never tried it.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BSBG
I think you are not quite doing it right - the fob in your glove box is your emergency housing and only works with the plastic "wallet" key inside as you noted. this is for emergency use only, not valet parking.

To valet park your car you turn the switch in the glove box to valet, lock the glove box with the metal key inside your fob, then hand the valet the fob minus the key core. You can use the key to lock your trunk and seats as well to prevent access.

At least that it is how it was explained to me at delivery, never tried it.
It's working the way you discribe but if you have your fob in the glove box ,with the plastic key inside ,everyone can start the car if the door are open.

May the fob is here just in case of the regular remote does not work .
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's working the way you discribe but if you have your fob in the glove box ,with the plastic key inside ,everyone can start the car if the door are open.

May the fob is here just in case of the regular remote does not work .
You can carry the plastic key as a spare - in your wallet or briefcase. If you lose your primary fob, you can open the door with the plastic key, stuff it in the fob and drive home.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can carry the plastic key as a spare - in your wallet or briefcase. If you lose your primary fob, you can open the door with the plastic key, stuff it in the fob and drive home.
I think that's the only thing you can do .
I was just curious what if people use the fob or have it at home .
But i am with you NWS4guy on the tune how has valet mode ,it's another security .
Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I start the car with the valet key ,it works only if the plastic key is inside.
This does not sound right. I assume you have Audi's "Advanced Key"

I have an A6 w advance key but its a bit different.

Does not the key fob split..top is small metal key.. bottom is plastic transponder.

don't u just have to activate valet mode (locking trunk, glove box flue door) split the key..then u keep plastic fob...valet keeps metal key... metal key does not open secured areas with out fob transmitter... please let me know if im inccorrect

ALSO this is wildly misunderstood.. i had one for a 1999 A4 1.8 this is not a valet key..its a emergency wallet key
http://www.apollo-auto.com/car-keys/...alet-key-blank

Not all (sales)men are created equal... some do a nice thorough "Delivery" explaining a lot of basic features people use often and some do not.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's the only thing you can do .
I was just curious what if people use the fob or have it at home .
But i am with you NWS4guy on the tune how has valet mode ,it's another security .
Not to mention APR Valet mode nerfs performance and puts in a speed limiter to 45 MPH
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do the same. With all the horror stories I have heard about valets taking cars for joy rides or damaging the cars while parking, I would never consider using a valet. NEVER!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plastic keyfob casing is to be kept in your glovebox for emergencies. You keep your plastic "wallet" key outside of the car (at home or in your wallet).

For valet:

You take you metal key core out of your regular keyfob remote. You then push the valet mode button in your glovebox, lock the glovebox with your metal key, and take your metal key with you.

That way, the valet can't get into your glovebox or your trunk since the trunk release won't work (I forget if you need to lock the rear seats in place, too).

Quick Reply: Do you keep your valet key in the glove box ?