S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Does tinting affect wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AgisA
I just got my S4 tinted.
I seem to hearing abit more of wind noise. Could this be related to the installation of window tint?
Often, windnoise detected in the cabin - by driver - is originated at Door Mirrors. There's 'no' connection with the tint (think everyone agrees that tint is concidental to latest hearing of windnoise), BUT to eliminate the Mirrors as potential cause I suggest you use masking tape or similar across the entire cutline of Mirror Housing (breakaway gap between Mirror Housing and Base), both Driver and Passenger. See if the noise is still audible when driving? If it is still auduble then you know this particular potential cause is not the problem this time. If noise is gone then you've got a gap / seal problem in that area which needs to be addressed i.e. Dealer. Process of elimination you can use at your discretion with Mirror Turn Signal, ....and basically work way through 'any' obvious steps and gaps - sunroof sealing, front windshield side run channels etc., that may have been nudged even minutely out of place since getting car, by whoever. [A o.5mm sharp edge surface step / offset facing into the direction of drive is enough to create windnoise - though typically that would be whistle effect ......a more dull windnoise effect is probably something more evident from a larger leading edge having been nudged out of design position somewhere.....or if you've added some sightly protruding 'stick-on' feature that wasn't there when you bought car.

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 05-11-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your good input.
I verified from the tint installer that no modification to window seals was done when applying the film nor any door panels were removed so what I was hearing was probably wind noise that the AUDI dealer should look into. I plan to do this Friday when I take my S4 for its first 'baptismal' 5000 miles service.
Thanks everybody for your comments.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your good input.
I verified from the tint installer that no modification to window seals was done when applying the film nor any door panels were removed so what I was hearing was probably wind noise that the AUDI dealer should look into. I plan to do this Friday when I take my S4 for its first 'baptismal' 5000 miles service.
Thanks everybody for your comments.
PS.

Add Door Handles as check item too i.e. any change in designed seal / fit performance on car body_which could be a lot I know!....but as you say AUDI actually need to cover that issue as the problem sounds abnormal [coincidental pun;-)]and not created by anything you've done to car. Am sure that you will get it resolved in due course - happy driving!

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 05-11-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
It's physically impossible for any material installed on the inside on the vehicle to cause wind noise. Clear bra is a non issue as well, because it's simply too thin. I think the OP has encountered a somewhat stronger wind, perhaps from a different direction.
We have seen ClearBra material on the outside mirrors to (at times) to cause a whistling noise... Even the mirror housing (stock) can cause noise (as we've replaced one or two due to wind noise, with another STOCK unit, and the noise went away).

Tinting, on the other hand, like mentioned will NOT cause noise
Old 05-12-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I won't tint my S4 when it comes in so girls will have a better view of me driving it
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's physically impossible for any material... on the inside on the vehicle to cause wind noise... bra is a non issue as well...
So I should tell future dates they must remove their bra when they exit the vehicle?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

It's physically impossible for any material installed on the inside on the vehicle to cause wind noise. Clear bra is a non issue as well, because it's simply too thin. I think the OP has encountered a somewhat stronger wind, perhaps from a different direction.
I guess you've never seen tint installed. They pop door panels off, and fiddle with your windows quite a bit. They could easily have reefed on something and bent it a hair. Happened on my old IS300...had bad window noise after install from my driver's side door (window frame was bent back and noise went away).
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just got my S4 tinted.
I seem to hearing abit more of wind noise. Could this be related to the installation of window tint?
Yes, the wind noise is now darker