S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Door Speakers 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need a very sophisticated multichannel audio processor in order to integrate properly with the factory amplifier to get all the audio and not lose content. It's not impossible, but it's a very complicated task to do right.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
You'll need a very sophisticated multichannel audio processor in order to integrate properly with the factory amplifier to get all the audio and not lose content. It's not impossible, but it's a very complicated task to do right.
Not really that difficult. I currently use a programmable processor now that is software driven to smooth out the sound curve as well as controlling time and phase.

Probably going to go this route so I can leave the H/U intact and basically make it a simple control unit.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...trol-DQXS.html

This will allow me to control frequency response as well as crossover points and time delay.

Coupled with this: http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/c...ne-pdx-v9.html

And finally these (could not use these in my BMW and dying to put them back in service)
http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/c...s-pro60se.html

http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/c...s-pro50se.html

Now you can see why I want to find out the measurements as I currently have all this gear minus the processor.

It's simpler than using the Orban processors that radio stations use which will control attack and release times as well as a multitude of other things.

Still though, it looks like I have to retro engineer this in order to get the diameter and depth of the door mounts. The rear deck is easy as it uses a shallow depth (low profile) sub and I have a Boston Acoustics DVC 10" that will drop right in.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
I expected better from the Audi S4 crowd as a large amount are ready to tweak performance and handling. This is no different.

So if can anyone tell me the doors speaker sizes I would be appreciative.
I'll be sure to tag your name and ignore all future posts then. If you have such a history in sound and come here for help perhaps you should pop a door panel off and borrow a tape measure.

No need to dump on people giving their opinion, even if it is not what you wanted to hear!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not really that difficult. I currently use a programmable processor now that is software driven to smooth out the sound curve as well as controlling time and phase.

Probably going to go this route so I can leave the H/U intact and basically make it a simple control unit.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...trol-DQXS.html

This will allow me to control frequency response as well as crossover points and time delay.

Coupled with this: http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/c...ne-pdx-v9.html

And finally these (could not use these in my BMW and dying to put them back in service)
http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/c...s-pro60se.html

http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/c...s-pro50se.html

Now you can see why I want to find out the measurements as I currently have all this gear minus the processor.

It's simpler than using the Orban processors that radio stations use which will control attack and release times as well as a multitude of other things.

Still though, it looks like I have to retro engineer this in order to get the diameter and depth of the door mounts. The rear deck is easy as it uses a shallow depth (low profile) sub and I have a Boston Acoustics DVC 10" that will drop right in.
I'm not sure you've got enough channels in that gear. There are more than 6 speakers (14 on the B&O) though I'm not sure how many actual channels of amplification there are.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by StevehamS4
I'll be sure to tag your name and ignore all future posts then. If you have such a history in sound and come here for help perhaps you should pop a door panel off and borrow a tape measure.

No need to dump on people giving their opinion, even if it is not what you wanted to hear!
I'll make sure to reciprocate. Was not dumping on anyone until provoked. And even then stated that the B and O was nice, but not what I was inquiring about.

Since people here readily change their exhaust, ECU, etc... I had no idea it would be such an affront to people's sensibilities to mod the sound system.

Simply trying to find a door size and people keep going off topic to the B and O system which I never commented on. You may notice the vehicle is on order or I would have.

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-17-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not sure you've got enough channels in that gear. There are more than 6 speakers (14 on the B&O) though I'm not sure how many actual channels of amplification there are.
Actually there would only be 5 channels. One for each door and the sub.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually there would only be 5 channels. One for each door and the sub.
I think you're missing some speakers there. Like the center channel in the dash, and the speakers in the rear deck. You're also assuming there are passive crossovers everywhere and no bi-amplification. That may or may not be true.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

B&O or not, same speaker fitment on the vehicle. The available thread just happened to B&O. It was not off topic.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

how much time do you spend in your car that makes all this trouble worth it

home theater, i can understand. car, meh.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think you're missing some speakers there. Like the center channel in the dash, and the speakers in the rear deck. You're also assuming there are passive crossovers everywhere and no bi-amplification. That may or may not be true.
You're assuming I am keeping the same config as them. Nope I will be using the doors only and the rear deck. I will then use a software program that uses a pink noise generator on 12 different frequency repsonses that will test the acoustics of the car and help me set the imaging and timing, alleviating the need for the speaker in the dash or deck (other than sub).

Sometimes I spend upwards of two hours one way to work. Living in DC-Metro classified as some of the worst traffic in the US.

Honestly, it blows my mind that people here have no problem spend thousands of dollars and hours on vag-mods or exhausts, intakes, ecu flashes, etc... but mention changing a stereo and you are marked as a pariah.

Seriously, forget I asked. I'll figure it out myself when I get the car.

Quick Reply: Door Speakers 2013