S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting

After clocking only about 300 miles so far, I've received a number of messages indicating not to downshift above 1300 rpms. While I've been driving a manual for decades including my most recent A4, I often downshift to brake, not at ridiculously high rpms, but reasonable. Any insight on why this car prefers me not to do this practice? (1300 seems extremely low vs. 2500-3000 which seems more appropriate.)

Thank you
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckeye S4
After clocking only about 300 miles so far, I've received a number of messages indicating not to downshift above 1300 rpms. While I've been driving a manual for decades including my most recent A4, I often downshift to brake, not at ridiculously high rpms, but reasonable. Any insight on why this car prefers me not to do this practice? (1300 seems extremely low vs. 2500-3000 which seems more appropriate.)

Thank you
I downshift above 1300rpm all the time as I use the gearing for breaking as well. What messages are you referring to? The shift indicator in the DIS shows the optimum gear for lowest fuel consumption but often it would frequently tell me to be two gears higher (5th when in 3rd) than where I like to operate the engine. It seemed so ridiculous at times that I turned it off. Is this what you're referring to?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sworksone
I downshift above 1300rpm all the time as I use the gearing for breaking as well. What messages are you referring to? The shift indicator in the DIS shows the optimum gear for lowest fuel consumption but often it would frequently tell me to be two gears higher (5th when in 3rd) than where I like to operate the engine. It seemed so ridiculous at times that I turned it off. Is this what you're referring to?
Yea it's an effiency thing, trying to tell you what to do for the best fule economy, nothing else.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yea it's an effiency thing, trying to tell you what to do for the best fule economy, nothing else.
Is that a common message? If it was efficiency, then a lot more people would be seeing it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iono
Is that a common message? If it was efficiency, then a lot more people would be seeing it.
The efficiency program was not active (but is on the MMI) for 2010 models, so unless someone unlocked it with vag-com, they won't see it there anyway. It's one of about 5 screens you can display on the DIS between the speedo and tach, many people I have found either don't know you can show other screens and leave it where it's at from the dealer delivery, or choose a screen and leave it there - typically either Trip 1 or the large digital Speedo and never cycle.

I'm sure many have seen this screen and just don't comment, this screen will also tell you things like when to upshift and skip gears for economy, closing windows, turning off the A/C etc as well.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
The efficiency program was not active (but is on the MMI) for 2010 models, so unless someone unlocked it with vag-com, they won't see it there anyway. It's one of about 5 screens you can display on the DIS between the speedo and tach, many people I have found either don't know you can show other screens and leave it where it's at from the dealer delivery, or choose a screen and leave it there - typically either Trip 1 or the large digital Speedo and never cycle.

I'm sure many have seen this screen and just don't comment, this screen will also tell you things like when to upshift and skip gears for economy, closing windows, turning off the A/C etc as well.
If there is a way to turn this on and off at will, that sounds pretty awesome.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

There should be an option in the MMI to disable the shift suggestions, which display which gear your are in and will display an arrow with the suggested gear.

I keep mine on, though I usually ignore what it suggests unless if I want to get decent mileage out of my car
Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
There should be an option in the MMI to disable the shift suggestions, which display which gear your are in and will display an arrow with the suggested gear.
There is. I set mine to be off.