S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Driving in snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in snow

Hi folks,
I'm planning to replace my 2K A4 with an S4, I live in Canada, anyone with experience driving the S4 in snow? What's the ground clearance of the S4, can't find that figure anywhere. Do you end up plowing snow with the front end of the car before they clear the roads? My A4 was not too bad with a ground clearance of about 110mm. Is the sport differential noticeable on snow?
Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No problem

Had no issues in alaska last year, the ground clearance can be figured out by looking at the standard A4 ground clearance (which audi published) and subtracting the height difference between the S4 and A4 (which audi published(in the brochure for 2010 at least) - ground clearance is around 100 MM
Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had no problems at all last year in New Hampshire. My '08 B7 A4 had just a bit more traction in snow (and much better seat heaters) but the S4 does just fine.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandy S
I had no problems at all last year in New Hampshire. My '08 B7 A4 had just a bit more traction in snow (and much better seat heaters) but the S4 does just fine.
same experience...no issues with the seat heaters though
Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live near Lake Tahoe in California and we had a pretty big snow year last year. I put some Blizzaks on mine and never had a problem. I never purposely took the car through anything deeper than 6 inches. I was worried about the Blizzaks because I'm used to studded tires but I think the Blizzaks did better. Plus I didn't have to listen to the metal spikes in dry conditions. Overall I think the S4 is a great snow car with the proper tires.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kostas_os
Hi folks,
I'm planning to replace my 2K A4 with an S4, I live in Canada, anyone with experience driving the S4 in snow? What's the ground clearance of the S4, can't find that figure anywhere. Do you end up plowing snow with the front end of the car before they clear the roads? My A4 was not too bad with a ground clearance of about 110mm. Is the sport differential noticeable on snow?
Thanks
I have a 2001 A4 2.8QM as well as a 2001 S4 Avant 6M. The S4 has about an inch less ground clearance. I got stuck in about 3 feet of snow once The road was narrowed by the drifts and it was either that or hit the car coming at me. It's quite a snowmobile even with A/S tires. I've come and gone in/out of the driveway after a plow came by without much issue. However, my front bumper has seen it's better days.

The ESP/EDL can get confused (maybe it's just the brakes overheating) when trying to get going in 4"+ snow uphill. I've had it shutdown on me in different years on the same road. The fix is simple: turn the car off and back on. Just keep an eye out for the ABS light since your ABS goes out when the ESP or EDL does.

My A4 doesn't have ESP so it's a bit trickier to pass on 2 lane roads when driving in snow behind that car doing 25 in a 55 than if it did. However, it pushed bumper to bumper a new Beetle 1.8T through 6 inches of snow for 1/2 mile to a road that was plowed. The Beetle was floating on the snow. It was essentially a 2600 pound sled.

However since you mention the sport diff, this is mostly irrelevant as it seems you are in the market for a new one. I checked the Audi site a week ago or so and the dimensions on the A4 and S4 are the same. Ground clearance is not listed but if all else is equal, I think it would be fair to assume the same ground clearance.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sandy S
My b7 seat heaters would get hot enough to cook an egg on, the ones in my b8 s4 just get warm. I will miss those seat heaters.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick71692
My b7 seat heaters would get hot enough to cook an egg on, the ones in my b8 s4 just get warm. I will miss those seat heaters.
My 05 TT and 07 GTI seat heaters burn my ***, S4 seat heaters warm at best. However, they heat up very quickly.

Last edited by seinsmeld13; 10-22-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tahoskier
I live near Lake Tahoe in California and we had a pretty big snow year last year... Overall I think the S4 is a great snow car with the proper tires.
Do you need to install chains in the Tahoe area? Or does the Quattro/all wheel drive allow you to go without them?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kostas_os
Hi folks,
Thanks
I live in Maine - S4 with snows is a very capable car. Not really any issues with clearance, depending on the snow fall. What you really have to be careful of, is what we lovingly refer to as the death cookies up here. They are tightly packed ***** of ice and snow. I've hit a number of those with the front spoiler - not much you can do about that.

Bottom line is it's a sport sedan, not REALLY designed for heavy snow driving, IMHO, but it is very capable.

Quick Reply: Driving in snow