S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Driving in snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tires tires tires, dedicated winter set, just like trucks most people ignore the capabilites of a winter tire...
Old 10-23-2010, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

re: winter tires...
I don't think you could safely run the standard 19" performance tires in the snow. For winter, I'm running 18" Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's (the Audi Wheel package). The Dunlops seems like a nice balance between performance and snow traction. The S4 was still new enough last year when I got them that wasn't clear what would actually fit at the time. There are a lots of tire and wheel choices now.

I was just saying that my B7 A4 with the stock all-seasons (think they were Continental) seemed to have a bit more traction. Could also have been because it had less HP starting out and an AT vs. the MN6 that I have on my S4. Anyway, the S4 does fine in the snow so don't worry about that at all.

re: seat heaters
The B7 A4 did a better job heating one's lower back. (got a bad back and miss that feature a lot)
Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My B6 A4 really heated my backside. Have not tried the option in S4 yet but will find out soon. Agree with the 18" and have some Blizacks on the way with new rims!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kyee
Do you need to install chains in the Tahoe area? Or does the Quattro/all wheel drive allow you to go without them?
They usually do not stop AWD cars but sometimes they check to see if you have M&S rated tires. The OEM summer performance tires don't have this rating. They really suck in the snow anyway. Technically you are supposed to have chains in your car. Sometimes they require chains on 4wd/awd cars but usually they close the roads by then.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kyee
Do you need to install chains in the Tahoe area? Or does the Quattro/all wheel drive allow you to go without them?
The S4 will get going from a stop in snow with the stock " summer-only " tires only on flat roads ( have two places on the Lake and go there from Bay Area ) ,BUT...it ...will...not...stop ..if you have snow/ice on the road ( unless you are creeping at 5 mph only ) with the OEM rubber , nor will you feel any confidence on hilly roads ( which is Lake Tahoe ) rolling or stopping.
Switched to second set of wheels /Nokian WR ZR rated tires ( which drive fine in Bay Area ) and used to laugh with glee as I did tight high speed do-nuts in the emptier Squaw Valley ski resort parking lots. Since it can snow at Tahoe from Oct-May-used to have to keep the winter tires on 9 out of 12 months of Bay Area driving. Their handling was decent but they groan at 20 mph neighborhood driving.
Nowadays , too lazy to switch out by season and my ZR rated Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons on stock wheels are just fine.

If conditions are bad enough in trans -Sierra highways requiring AWD cars with M&S or Winter tires to also put on chains, the roads would be closed anyway , per CHP sources .

Last edited by Inclined; 10-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

last year I got caught in the blizzard that hit the east coast with my 07 A4. I could not have asked for better performance in the snow even with all season tires. I was elated with the performance. The only issue I had was the lack of ground clearence compared to the depth of snow. It had me in the dealership replacing my belly pan shroud at a cost of $300.