S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DRL/Blinker question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL/Blinker question

Hey guys, so once again, another somewhat silly question.. I know I know I'm sure a big percentage will not be happy with me, but I am not big into modding, in fact, just about the only thing I can do on a car is change a tire, check the oil, tire air pressure, the basics.. but I do work hard and like to buy myself nice toys.. hence the new 2012 Moonlight Blue S4 Prestige on order, hopefully to take delivery in October..

I happen to take notice on all the new A4/S4's that it seems like when the blinker is turned on, that the DRL(Leds) seem to shut off on that particular side of the car and a separate blinker turns on.. something I see as being a bit cheesy..

I could be wrong but I happened to read some of the users speaking about this calling it the DRL Wink, or something along those lines, adding that there is a software/hardward for something called VAG-COM to program this to not happen.. now for a guy like me, this is all chinese..

So in preparation for my hopefully October delivery, my question is, is there something I will have to do so that the DRL(leds) stay on while using the turn signals, or is it standard for this on the new 2012's??? And if there's something I need to do where do I start, steps 1,2,3.. please help.. thanks again!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy a VAG-COM from Ross Tech http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html ..also do a search on this topic there are plenty of threads! Also find someone in your area to do it for you! Need a VAG...it's a must!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
Buy a VAG-COM from Ross Tech http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html ..also do a search on this topic there are plenty of threads! Also find someone in your area to do it for you! Need a VAG...it's a must!!!
looks like the systems range from 300-1200 in price, really don't know where to start, is it possible to find someone with this type of equipment and have it done for me, for the most part this is really the only thing i was looking to have done, for me the car is perfect otherwise, just those silly leds turning off when signaling as i said just looks so cheesy, again i appreciate the help
Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by papertrade15
looks like the systems range from 300-1200 in price, really don't know where to start, is it possible to find someone with this type of equipment and have it done for me, for the most part this is really the only thing i was looking to have done, for me the car is perfect otherwise, just those silly leds turning off when signaling as i said just looks so cheesy, again i appreciate the help
it costs $350... i have one sitting right here (ordered from europaparts - free shipping) so i can disable winking on day ONE. there are also lots of other things you tweak/enable/disable...for example - pressing and holding the unlock button on the key fob to roll down all windows. check them out here: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html

if you don't want to buy the cable, you need to keep an eye out for someone in your area who has a cable and is willing to vag you, lol. a lot of times people will put it in their signature here, but you can also post a message in a regional forum here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/regional-acna-discussion-176/. what area do you live again?

buying the cable allows you to make these tweaks on your own (lots of non-technical folks have done it if that is a concern) and run scans/diagnostics before going to the dealer, and other things listed on rosstech site... i'm not a mechanic by any means, but i find some peace of mind having this relatively inexpensive cable for my new car.

hope that helps!

Last edited by dreaddontdie; 09-13-2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-13-2011, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Put out the word where you live, I'm sure someone in your area would be happy to help, I have done it for a couple of other people. I'm in Chicago area.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreaddontdie
it costs $350... i have one sitting right here (ordered from europaparts - free shipping) check them out here: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176. what area do you live again?

hope that helps!
huge help!! i was concerned with the actual connection to the car, how it works, if i had to take apart the car, but spoke with a mechanic and he told me its just a simple plug in, so i think i will make the investment, one last question, do any of these changes affect or screw with warranty? i leased the car only because i wanted to have the option to get out of it and upgrade to something newer in a few years if i completely fall in love with a newer line(all audi of coarse)but i dont want to run the risk of screwing with the computer and next thing you know they find a way to stick it to me?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

what area do you live again?

im in the new york, long island area, so if anyone is from the area let me know, thanks again. this has been a huge help!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by papertrade15
huge help!! i was concerned with the actual connection to the car, how it works, if i had to take apart the car, but spoke with a mechanic and he told me its just a simple plug in, so i think i will make the investment, one last question, do any of these changes affect or screw with warranty? i leased the car only because i wanted to have the option to get out of it and upgrade to something newer in a few years if i completely fall in love with a newer line(all audi of coarse)but i dont want to run the risk of screwing with the computer and next thing you know they find a way to stick it to me?
no, you should be safe. if there was an issue of some kind that happened to be related to the vag change, the dealer would most likely reset those values and see if the issue repros. in fact, sometimes the VAG settings get wiped when your dealer does a software update to a component or something.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can move the headlight **** to a setting between 'auto' and 'headlights on' for parking lights which includes the LEDs in front and the tailights on in the back. The LEDs stay on when the turn signal is on in this mode. Cheap fix! It does turn on the yellow marker lights in the front corners too though which may not be desireable for some. I use this setting often as having lights on around the car make you more visible. I've never liked using the 'auto' setting on cars where the lights turn on and off on their own to match the lighting conditions.

The MMI only allows you to turn the LEDs on or off when the headlight switch is set to off, so at some point I do want to pick up the VAGCOM cable though some day to adjust some settings such as the 'wink' when driving with just the LEDs on. You can also adjust the intensity of the LEDs with the cable from what I read in a forum thread.