S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drove a 335 xDrive Today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a 335 xDrive Today...

being a long time BMW owner, I felt I needed to give the 335 a shake as I consider new cars. I have an S4 on order (prestige, sport diff, 6MT) -- but I want to be absolutely sure.

The BMW was really nice - very smooth and great handling. Though it didn't feel quite as sporty driving as the S4 (the power felt more "controlled" if that makes sense).

I like the exterior stying of both cars - the BMW has the M Sport Package - so it has great wheels and more agressive front end. Our BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer - for $2K they can do a remap to provide 385HP and over 400 ft-lb of torque (not sure I'd do it, but the numbers are nice).

As for the interior, I like the S4 seats better, but I think the BMW dash is cleaner and simpler (and it doesn't have that crazy silver trim). The nav was nice too - it has the great 3d view that the Audi has.

Tough decision here for sure. Anyone have experience with both these cars have any advice? I'm going to go drive the S4 again to be sure.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
being a long time BMW owner, I felt I needed to give the 335 a shake as I consider new cars. I have an S4 on order (prestige, sport diff, 6MT) -- but I want to be absolutely sure.

The BMW was really nice - very smooth and great handling. Though it didn't feel quite as sporty driving as the S4 (the power felt more "controlled" if that makes sense).

I like the exterior stying of both cars - the BMW has the M Sport Package - so it has great wheels and more agressive front end. Our BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer - for $2K they can do a remap to provide 385HP and over 400 ft-lb of torque (not sure I'd do it, but the numbers are nice).

As for the interior, I like the S4 seats better, but I think the BMW dash is cleaner and simpler (and it doesn't have that crazy silver trim). The nav was nice too - it has the great 3d view that the Audi has.

Tough decision here for sure. Anyone have experience with both these cars have any advice? I'm going to go drive the S4 again to be sure.
Both are amazing cars -- from a previous BMW owner.
A few things to consider:
- Equally equipped S4 should be cheaper
- I like the SC over the TT -- no turbo lag
- The HF Pump issue that the 335 has will not be solved (instead, the BMW extended the warranty on that part).
- The E90 is due for a redesign in 2012
- If you're talking the 6MT, Audi's is much better; DSG beats Tiptronic
- BMW steering is more natural, I like it better...
- I like the exclusivity of the S4
Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll also add that you can not get the sport suspension on the 335i xDrive, this was one of the deal breakers for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can always put an aftermarket suspension (e.g. Stasis) on the 335xi. That's what I looked at when I was looking at 335xi. Both 335xi and B8 S4 are fine automobiles.

Bruce
Old 12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AvantB8
Both are amazing cars -- from a previous BMW owner.
A few things to consider:
- If you're talking the 6MT, Audi's is much better; DSG beats Tiptronic
I own a 2007 335i with the 6mt...
are you saying the S4 mt is better than the 335i mt?

the S4 DSG is lightyears ahead of steptronic which i hated when i was given a loaner 2010 335i.

I am very interested in the S4 and test drove an S5 cabrio with DSG today-cause they didn't have an S4....it felt lathargic to me and had a noticeable clank when i shifted manually.

I had driven an S4 about 3 weeks ago and it felt better without any noises.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

From my point of view (my opinion), the problem with the BMW 335xi or xDrive now, even if its a fine car, is that its a car that has been designed as a RWD car and they added an AWD system on it to answer to some market demand and to fill up a gap that the competition had. Also, the xDrive technology was designed for safety perposes instead of sport level as the Torsen technology gives. Finally, you don't have a sport suspension option, even if its always possible to add an after marker one and there is also no sport differential option. So, at the end, the 335i xDrive doesn't compete with the S4.

Cheers!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2010S4Fan
I own a 2007 335i with the 6mt...
are you saying the S4 mt is better than the 335i mt?

the S4 DSG is lightyears ahead of steptronic which i hated when i was given a loaner 2010 335i.

I am very interested in the S4 and test drove an S5 cabrio with DSG today-cause they didn't have an S4....it felt lathargic to me and had a noticeable clank when i shifted manually.

I had driven an S4 about 3 weeks ago and it felt better without any noises.
I traded in an E90 with 6MT.
YES, the S4 6MT is MUCH better than on the 3er. It is smoother, it is as precise, and shorter throw. I also had a short stick on my E90 that helped a little bit...
Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kwikwi
From my point of view (my opinion), the problem with the BMW 335xi or xDrive now, even if its a fine car, is that its a car that has been designed as a RWD car and they added an AWD system on it to answer to some market demand and to fill up a gap that the competition had. Also, the xDrive technology was designed for safety perposes instead of sport level as the Torsen technology gives. Finally, you don't have a sport suspension option, even if its always possible to add an after marker one and there is also no sport differential option. So, at the end, the 335i xDrive doesn't compete with the S4.

Cheers!

Need to add the fact that most of the suspension parts on the B8S4 and the 335i are made of aluminum but that doesn't apply to the 335i xDrive.

Last edited by kwikwi; 12-03-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky

Tough decision here for sure. Anyone have experience with both these cars have any advice?
I've had my RWD 2007 335i for about 2-1/2 years and it has been very reliable (except for some oil consumption which is apparently normal). My brother got essentially an identical car but with Steptronic around the same time. He has had issues with his fuel injectors on several occasions and the dealer has replaced 3 out of the 6 already under warranty. It may have been caused by the Costco gasoline he's used to pumping (he has since switched to Shell or Chevron), but it doesn't give you great confidence when such a major engine component fails several times at less than 25K miles.

As for the interior, the only aspect of the Bimmer I prefer is the wood trim strip on the dash. Otherwise, the B8 A4/S4 interior is much nicer, the contrast especially obvious at night when the A4/S4 interior is all nicely lit up in white & red versus the plain interior of the 335i in orange which I have never grown to like. BMW's steering feel and effort is nicer. The 6MT gearbox on the Bimmer is better than my old B7 A4 2.0T's but the shift throws are on the long side.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll echo the interior (which is where you do spend most of your time. my G35 coupe has orange on black, and I never EVER had liked that. My favorite interior up to the S4 has been my 2000 Jetta TDI. This was a very comfortable car, and I loved (and stil do) the dark blue/violet instrument lighting. Very easy to look at in the dark.

Quick Reply: Drove a 335 xDrive Today...