S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drove another B8 S4 - manual this time

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove another B8 S4 - manual this time

I've spent some time behind the wheel of other B8s, but both were with a salesman or the car owner in the passenger seat...a.k.a. not letting me really get the feel of the car. One was all highway, so useless really. I never really noticed this before...the tune is so laggy. Typical stock Audi stuff...laggy and muted and as it comes out of each gear it really takes a dog's age to realise you're telling it to scoot. The fact that guys are running 12s STOCK is even more amazing to me. There's more in the car just in the driving dynamics alone.

If someone can figure out the security in the ECU, and is able to change more than just the very basics in the APR and Stasis tunes, this car will be even more of a retarded over-achiever. I'll bet there's about 2 tenths in the dynamics alone. We'll get some races lined up between this car and my B7 for fun...and we'll get his car out to the dragstrip when it's cooler out.

I have to also say I am starting to like the looks of the B8 a lot more than I did originally. It seems to sit lower and more aggressive than past S cars, and the 255s look awesome. This car was black with black Silk Nappa leather, and carbon fibre + nav etc. Really looked killer. The owner came out of an Infiniti G35, and he is ecstatic with the car.

p.s. Is primetime's dragstrip offer still valid? lol
Old 08-31-2011, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
...the tune is so laggy. Typical stock Audi stuff...laggy and muted and as it comes out of each gear it really takes a dog's age to realise you're telling it to scoot.
Really? Coming out of my B6 and into this was night and day. Both 6mt's and the B8 has very minimal lag compared to the b6 when you get on it. DBW has come a long way. I do not need to wind out the B8 like I did the B6 to realize good acceleration.

I guess to each his own and perception is reality, etc....

With an actual tune I am sure the B8 will be even better.

Mike
Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
Really? Coming out of my B6 and into this was night and day.
Don't forget that your current B8 has a massive torque advantage over the B6...302 vs. 350-360 stock)

That can make up for a lot.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't forget that your current B8 has a massive torque advantage over the B6...302 vs. 350-360 stock)

That can make up for a lot.
I get that... But I guess I am failing to see/experience the Lag you are experiencing.

Mike
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lag? Huh? This isn't a turbo, I have a 6mt, there is no lag.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

...the tune is so laggy.
Wondering if you meant "stock" instead of "tune" here?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the car have the sport diff and was it in dynamic? If not, there are a couple tenths alone in just enabling dynamic, whether through VAGCOM or using the drive select buttons, and there is a really big difference in response.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Did the car have the sport diff and was it in dynamic? If not, there are a couple tenths alone in just enabling dynamic, whether through VAGCOM or using the drive select buttons, and there is a really big difference in response.
2x.

It's really a completely different car in Dynamic mode...Sports diff is the best $1100.00 I have ever spent on an option.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

p.s. Is primetime's dragstrip offer still valid? lol
You buy a B8 S4 and I'll pay for your first visit Have only paid out two people so far...

As for the comments on the car, as others have said was it in dynamic mode?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by troposphere
2x.

It's really a completely different car in Dynamic mode...Sports diff is the best $1100.00 I have ever spent on an option.
Agree! In dynamic, the car seems to leap ahead when upshifting. In auto, it just feels a little sluggish. Can't imagine what comfort might be like since I never use that setting.

Quick Reply: Drove another B8 S4 - manual this time