S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drove another B8 S4 - manual this time

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no lag with the supercharger. It feels almost like my 405 hp corvette without all the drama of the real wheels spinning freely. My only complaint is that a v6 just does not have the nice sound of a v8. But with the future CAFE rules we will all be driving small turbo v4's anyway.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

drop the car on suspension and tint it with stock 19s and it looks amazing. People have asked me if its an RS4 model lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I feel no lag at all. However in normal mode (I have DCT) the car is definitely set up for MPG and shuffles up the gears very quickly.

Drop it into Sport and give 1/2 of more throttle and the car launches forward better than anything I have owned since my E46 M3 (when you had the revs past 3000 rpm)

I really hope my car lasts because I don't like what I see on the horizon with the new Cafe rules. 50+ mpg required average by 2025, just 14 years away.

IMO this is going to be like going back to the 80's and new cars are going to suck until the technology (carbon fiber, super light weight materials etc) catches up.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dreaddontdie
Wondering if you meant "stock" instead of "tune" here?
well, it's a new stock car and it is tuned...by Audi. Stock tune. I guess people aren't picking up what I'm talking about. Not 'turbo lag' feel or anything like that. It's all in the ECU and how the ECU delivers power when it's requested. Case in point:

When the gas pedal is just sitting there without touching it, let's call that zero percent. If you mat it to the floor, let's call that 100%. If you press it half way to the floor, lets call that 50%.

When my car was stock, if I wanted exactly 50% of the power available, I'd have to go well past the 50% pedal position...and it would still feel like it would take a little while for the request to 'catch up'. Audi has it roll in nice and easy so it's not jerky and too 'hot'. Don't forget most people who buy an S4 don't want the car to be ***** to the wall. They just want something nicer and bigger engined than a 2.0T. Forum guys are not the norm.

When my car was tuned, the first couple of days I would put my head through the headrest and then my face through the windshield while bucking in first gear because the JHM tune on my car would give me EXACTLY what I was requesting...and it just showed me that the stock tune was super-laggy and nannied up. I've done vagcom logs to check throttle etc and the JHM tune is spot on what I'm requesting with my foot. The stock tune...way off.

Driving the B8 the other day reminded me what that's like. I have driven a tuned B8 as well, and its very similar. Did APR not change the throttle response etc? I think it's very possible, as its tough to make too many changes on the B8 Simos box without triggering the ECU's security features.
Originally Posted by helix139
Did the car have the sport diff and was it in dynamic? If not, there are a couple tenths alone in just enabling dynamic, whether through VAGCOM or using the drive select buttons, and there is a really big difference in response.
great point - he has no sport diff and no ADS. Maybe that VAGCOM mod is something I'll look into for him. What's the best VAGCOM site for the B8 S4? He has NAV so I guess there are a few things he can enable vs. no nav.

Originally Posted by primetime
You buy a B8 S4 and I'll pay for your first visit Have only paid out two people so far...

As for the comments on the car, as others have said was it in dynamic mode?
lol the more likely forced induction Audi you'd find my buying is the 4.0T S6 or 7 (if I could get over the hunchback). Man, imagine the effects of a tune on that engine. Hell stock on the S8 it's 100hp and 75 tqs up.

Last edited by sakimano; 09-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakimano
great point - he has no sport diff and no ADS. Maybe that VAGCOM mod is something I'll look into for him. What's the best VAGCOM site for the B8 S4? He has NAV so I guess there are a few things he can enable vs. no nav.
Here's my go-to list when I need to look up a mod:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list

I think the coding you'll want is below, but I could be wrong:

Set ADS to specific preset Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual
[09 – Cent. Elect.][Security Access - 16]
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 63
Set to 01 - Comfort, 02 - Auto, 03 - Dynamic or 04 - Individual
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 64
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 65
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 66
*Note all four channels needs to be set to the same value.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by helix139
Here's my go-to list when I need to look up a mod:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list

I think the coding you'll want is below, but I could be wrong:

Set ADS to specific preset Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual
[09 – Cent. Elect.][Security Access - 16]
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 63
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 64
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 65
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 66
*Note all four channels needs to be set to the same value.
so non-ADS cars can do this? That's nuts.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

so non-ADS cars can do this? That's nuts.
Yes, they can and it makes a real difference. Like I said, not positive that is the correct coding for the mod I'm referring to or if you need something additional for non-sport diff cars, but I know the mod I'm referencing can be done and has produced measurable results. I think Neal knows what it is and has done it for other people, but obviously I've had no reason to do it on my own car. Keep in mind (for your friend's sake) that driving around in Dynamic all the time will make the gas mileage go to ****, so fair warning.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

^^^ thanks very much helix...that's great info.

I'll change it for him...right after we race . It'll actually be a cool before after test. He'll get tuned eventually too, but probably not till next year when (hopefully) some other offerings start pushing the existing options to be better. B8 needs tune competition badly.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^^ thanks very much helix...that's great info.

I'll change it for him...right after we race . It'll actually be a cool before after test. He'll get tuned eventually too, but probably not till next year when (hopefully) some other offerings start pushing the existing options to be better. B8 needs tune competition badly.
Actually I did a little more searching, and here is a better thread for solely that mod:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Select-VAGCOM
Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Case in point:
When the gas pedal is just sitting there without touching it, let's call that zero percent. If you mat it to the floor, let's call that 100%. If you press it half way to the floor, lets call that 50%.
A sprintbooster might help.

Quick Reply: Drove another B8 S4 - manual this time