S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drove S-Tronic and 6MT back2back-Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove S-Tronic and 6MT back2back-Now what?

Had fun yesterday driving 2 S4s.
Too bad it was the usual short test drives(about 2-4 miles)unfortunately.

I've been considering switching out of my 335i 6MT and into the S4 S-Tronic.
As the most sports-oriented automatic, when I'm in traffic I can just sit back and relax or with it's responsiveness and manual mode, have fun the rest of the time.

But the 6MT is a lot of fun to drive and better than my 335i's 6MT.

So what do I do?

BTW, one S4 had the nasty, high pitched brake squeal but the other S4 did not...interesting.

Also, I got an email from another local dealer and was SHOCKED to read that they are offering to loan me an S4 for for a day or two, and will drop it off at my home or office...Wow....what a difference from a few weeks ago when we couldn't even get an to test drive.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am in the same boat. Trying to arrange a back to back drive of both transmissions so that I can make a decision on ordering a car for either the 2010 or 2011 MY.

When I get a chance to compare them I will let you know.

Currently my A4 is simply a pleasure cruiser since I have a company vehicle that I can drive for normal day to day stuff. That could change in the future though, so the S-tronic has a bit of appeal for dealing with stop and go traffic as well as the wife approval factor (WAF).
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only you can decide. I love the DSG, coming from a 6MT for 5 years. Just as you said I can sit back in traffic or have shifting fun. A quick double tap and I drop 2 gears faster than any manual could, upshifts likewise are insanely fast, plus a 7th gear to get great econ on the highway.

Not at all missing the 3rd pedal here.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Only you can decide. I love the DSG, coming from a 6MT for 5 years. Just as you said I can sit back in traffic or have shifting fun. A quick double tap and I drop 2 gears faster than any manual could, upshifts likewise are insanely fast, plus a 7th gear to get great econ on the highway.

Not at all missing the 3rd pedal here.
Yup, and I came from a DSG-equipped VW R32 and went with a 6MT S4.

Both are GREAT transmissions...I would have been happy with the 7-speed DSG in the S4 as well but wanted to get back into a manual.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

New member here. Thanks for your patience! First Post.
I drove a 6MT and the dual clutch back to back yesterday. I went in thinking MT and went home knowing I want the auto. This is a sweet transmission, every bit as good as the DCT on my 911.

Question: Is it normal to hear a pronounced exhaust note during upshifting? Not unpleasant, kinda cool. Just wondered. I am agonizing over this car versus 335xi.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GUMan
New member here. Thanks for your patience! First Post.
I drove a 6MT and the dual clutch back to back yesterday. I went in thinking MT and went home knowing I want the auto. This is a sweet transmission, every bit as good as the DCT on my 911.

Question: Is it normal to hear a pronounced exhaust note during upshifting? Not unpleasant, kinda cool. Just wondered. I am agonizing over this car versus 335xi.
Yup! The S-Tronic "burps" on upshifts. I love that noise! This is noticeable with other Audi models as well. I had it with my previous A3 2.0T with DSG (S-Tronic).
Old 01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GUMan
New member here. Thanks for your patience! I am agonizing over this car versus 335xi.
I struggled a bit with this same comparison. The 335 is a great car. However three things pushed me over the edge to the S4:
  • The 335xi does not come with sports suspension. The S4 suspension is much better.
  • The S4 power comes on much quicker and smoother than the 335.
  • Sport Differential FTW (no more needs to be said)
Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No lose scenerio, pick the one you like best. I drove 6MT and DSG back-back and ran with the 6MT.

Bruce
Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the sport suspension thing is trivial on 335xi. get aftermarket (eg. Stasis suspension).
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently driving a 335i 6MT coupe. Just ordered an B8 S4 6MT. But I have had the opportunity to drive the M3 with the DCT trans. Very remarkable. The trans shifted instantaneously. But I would not want it. Not the same as driving the 6 MT. I would recommend it for 1) people who want an AT. 2)Those that have a lot of stop and go driving. 3)Those that really want to race or track their cars.4) Owners whose significant other won't drive a MT IMHO, those who love driving a MT will not be happy after the novelty wears off.

Quick Reply: Drove S-Tronic and 6MT back2back-Now what?