S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drum roll...so Audi calls it a "sound actuator"

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
I understand that BMW does the same thing with the M5!
I heard the M5 system is actually even more embarrassing. BMW saves the exhaust sound clip in the computer and plays it through the car audio system.

So the 100K super sedan becomes a freaking giant mp3 player and people probably can adjust the base, treble and surround level of your "exhaust note".
Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinHee
I heard the M5 system is actually even more embarrassing. BMW saves the exhaust sound clip in the computer and plays it through the car audio system.

So the 100K super sedan becomes a freaking giant mp3 player and people probably can adjust the base, treble and surround level of your "exhaust note".
Gotta say, whether I like the idea of it or not, agree with the use of it or not, or bemoan the direction of automotive tech or not, Audi's implementation of this is pretty cool and very well done. In my 3 test drives, it sounded and felt like real engine noise -- both inside the car/beyond the dash and outside the car with windows rolled down (just like rolling the windows down in a car with a loud engine). Your body/brain won't know the difference, and neither will passengers...and I suspect passersby won't know the difference too.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wonder if a) the sound that this speaker puts out can be manipulated, for example to approximate say a 12-cylinder F1 engine from the 90s; b) or to pipe an altogether different sound, like a siren?

Would retrofiting this Soundkator thingymajig to a 2010-2012 model be possible?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slvrro
I wonder if a) the sound that this speaker puts out can be manipulated, for example to approximate say a 12-cylinder F1 engine from the 90s; b) or to pipe an altogether different sound, like a siren?

You'll need to wait for the iCar and its app store.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
Gotta say, whether I like the idea of it or not, agree with the use of it or not, or bemoan the direction of automotive tech or not, Audi's implementation of this is pretty cool and very well done. In my 3 test drives, it sounded and felt like real engine noise -- both inside the car/beyond the dash and outside the car with windows rolled down (just like rolling the windows down in a car with a loud engine). Your body/brain won't know the difference, and neither will passengers...and I suspect passersby won't know the difference too.
I respect your opinion, and at the end of the day most people won't care that much.

But a well-implemented mp3 player is still an mp3 player to me. And instead of "your brain won't know the difference", my brain will always know, and doubt, at the back of my mind that whether the sound is from the real engine / exhaust instead of a 99-cent mp3 clip.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I want my exhaust to play "Hail To The Chief" so people will stand at attention when I drive by.

With this new technology I think it's do-able.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrro

From what I have seen, it supposedly is not just making sounds like a larger engine - according to Audi it is actually creating sound waves aimed at interaction with the stock exhaust sounds and causes the entire sound to change coming out the tailpipe, one reason you can hear it outside the car very well. Of course, it stands to reason if you change the exhaust to aftermarket, and don't disconnect this (assuming it works the way they describe it) you might end up with a very odd sounding car.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
From what I have seen, it supposedly is not just making sounds like a larger engine - according to Audi it is actually creating sound waves aimed at interaction with the stock exhaust sounds and causes the entire sound to change coming out the tailpipe, one reason you can hear it outside the car very well. Of course, it stands to reason if you change the exhaust to aftermarket, and don't disconnect this (assuming it works the way they describe it) you might end up with a very odd sounding car.
What you're describing only applies to the new twin turbo V6 diesel that Audi is rolling out in Europe next year.

The current S4 and S5 cars use a single speaker in the engine compartment and placed next to the firewall.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is the refreshed 2013 S4 supposed to have this "sound actuator"?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

The press release I found -- and referenced in my original post -- offered a possible clue as to how the S4/S5 might be producing the new sounds. Can't say whether the facelifted cars have some version of the sound actuator, or whether they a producing the sounds in another way. I find it a bit odd that Audi would not herald HOW they've pulled this off in the V6T (vs. saying almost NOTHING about it). Odd too that dealers have no idea. :roll eyes:

This article mentions the sound actuator and other tech in the 2013 S6: http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2013-s6/

Last edited by Smith837; 06-07-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Drum roll...so Audi calls it a "sound actuator"