S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

DSG fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red1bw
Sportbiker / others;
Where in literature / writing did you find that ATF G 052 529 A2 is the correct fluid for the 7 speed DSG OB5A(MNL)?
Time has come again to do this service and I just noticed that this question wasn't answered. I just called the dealer and asked what fluid spec I was required to use. So I didn't get it from literature or documentation but took my dealer's word for it.

FWIW, the change went great and as I noted, the car shifted super smoothly for quite some time. Our rough shifting is returning just as it had before my first change so it seems the Bulletin's spec for changes is generally correct.

EDIT: I have noticed lots of those parts vendors saying you have to replace the DSG filter and from my past this makes sense. HOWEVER, Audi pretty clearly doesn't think that's needed as can be seen in their own service maintenance guide. As a result at my 75k miles I will again not be taking off the DSG pan or replacing the filter.

Last edited by SportBiker; 08-18-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks SportBiker for taking the time to post and update this DIY.How critical is it to have the VagCom to perform this service? Is the whole process of bringing the trans up to a certain temp so critical in attaining correct fluid level? Would a cc or two of fluid more or less than optimal be detrimental? Best wishes.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes. Thanks Sportbiker. I went ahead and used that fluid as it is advertised on many sites as the correct fluid and many folks such as yourself had success with it. I did not change the filter, but plan to next time. What I don't like about Audi is they really don't make known in any of their official manuals fluid specs.
My S4 now has about 100K miles on it, and for whatever reason, I think it is just good practice to change the transmission gear oil at this time. What fluid should I use...I cannot find anything anywhere concerning the gear oil portion of the transmission.
Vtsquid - Vagcom is not important for transmission fluid change. Knowing the transmission fluid temperature is. A $10-$20 IR temperature gun ordered online is all that is needed. Personally I think the gun is better in the aspect of keeping oil off the laptop, Vagcom, and from inside the car. This is what I have used for this type of transmission fluid changes.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes. Thanks Sportbiker. I went ahead and used that fluid as it is advertised on many sites as the correct fluid and many folks such as yourself had success with it. I did not change the filter, but plan to next time. What I don't like about Audi is they really don't make known in any of their official manuals fluid specs.
My S4 now has about 100K miles on it, and for whatever reason, I think it is just good practice to change the transmission gear oil at this time. What fluid should I use...I cannot find anything anywhere concerning the gear oil portion of the transmission.
Vtsquid - Vagcom is not important for transmission fluid change. Knowing the transmission fluid temperature is. A $10-$20 IR temperature gun ordered online is all that is needed. Personally I think the gun is better in the aspect of keeping oil off the laptop, Vagcom, and from inside the car. This is what I have used for this type of transmission fluid changes.
As said, the temp is the important part as I'm sure you know by now. Fluid density changes with temp and satisfies the volume requirements assuming you have a level car.

No advice on gear oil since I haven't done the research. I can say I do not plan to ever change it. Germans are known for being precise so if it isn't spec'd I won't bother. Were not at 100k yet bit closing quick.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When using the IR gun to check the fluid temp can I just point it at the side of the Transmission or do I have to poke it in the fill hole so the IR actually hits the Trans fluid? Also, when changing the fluid are you guys putting the car on jack stands to access the fill hole?

Thanks.

Last edited by kdfwagen; 09-22-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You want the fluid temperature... so either the fluid dripping out of the transmission (which it will as it warms up) or inside the hole. In my case the the temperature of the fluid was the same in both spots. If I recall, the temp gun had a half a degree or less of accuracy, and the Audi specs gave a 10 degree range to put the fill plug back in. If you aim for the middle temperature you should easily be within the desired range regardless of how quickly the temperature continues to increase or how long it takes you to get the fill plug in.

I used ramps in the rear (backing it up the ramps and using the emergency brake), and jacks in the front after jacking the front up with a wheeled jack; as I thought that would be quicker than using 4 jack stands safely. The parking pad I did this on was level from left to right, so ramps were fine to level.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You want the fluid temperature... so either the fluid dripping out of the transmission (which it will as it warms up) or inside the hole. In my case the the temperature of the fluid was the same in both spots. If I recall, the temp gun had a half a degree or less of accuracy, and the Audi specs gave a 10 degree range to put the fill plug back in. If you aim for the middle temperature you should easily be within the desired range regardless of how quickly the temperature continues to increase or how long it takes you to get the fill plug in.

I used ramps in the rear (backing it up the ramps and using the emergency brake), and jacks in the front after jacking the front up with a wheeled jack; as I thought that would be quicker than using 4 jack stands safely. The parking pad I did this on was level from left to right, so ramps were fine to level.

Im curious how many miles you have on your s4 and how reliable it has been for you?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

112K miles and relatively reliable. If lights come on, I take care of the issue. It has never stranded anyone or broke down. I do all maintenance / repairs myself. The only repairs that come to mind over the last 50K were some subframe stretch bolts (to get rid of a clunking that appeared around 75K miles), and another thermostat at around 105K (it got a recalled Thermostat & Water Pump early in its life). I am starting to get a sporadic CEL for low flow / clogged secondary air ports (both banks). Fortunately, Audi has extended the warranty on this exact issue for 10 years and 120K as it is an emissions issue. So I will likely let Audi take car of that - although that will be the first time this Audi has ever been to a dealer / mechanic since I owned it.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for an informative thread!

I'm about to change oil and external filter on the 0B5 gearbox in my Euro 2012 A6 3.0TDi.

Is 0B5 a code for one specific gearbox or are there many versions of this gearbox? Can I be sure that fluid sold as compatible with 0B5 will be the right type for my car?

Do you know if the drain plug "crush ring" is the same as used on the engine oil drain plug? Or do you have the inner and outer diameter?

I'm a bit confused that this post does not mention an external filter. According to ElsaWin my car has an external cylindrical filter that is supposed to be changed with the ATF oil. It could be that the S4 does not have this filter.

There is also a nice post here with pictures and repair guide screenshots regarding fluid and filter change on an S5:
0B5 DSG, S-tronic, 7-speed 35000 mile service, fluid and filter B8 A4, A4, A5,

Last edited by jonet; 11-07-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have examined my S4 for the external filter but not found one. Some models have it, mine does not appear to be one of them. But you are referencing an A6 diesel in an S4 gasoline thread so perhaps that is the cause.

Just did my 110k ATF change with no filter changes FYI. I will be more seriously considering the filter change next go-round since I found a very small amount of superfine grit in the dumped fluid.

Originally Posted by jonet
Thank you for an informative thread!

I'm about to change oil and external filter on the 0B5 gearbox in my Euro 2012 A6 3.0TDi.

Is 0B5 a code for one specific gearbox or are there many versions of this gearbox? Can I be sure that fluid sold as compatible with 0B5 will be the right type for my car?

Do you know if the drain plug "crush ring" is the same as used on the engine oil drain plug? Or do you have the inner and outer diameter?

I'm a bit confused that this post does not mention an external filter. According to ElsaWin my car has an external cylindrical filter that is supposed to be changed with the ATF oil. It could be that the S4 does not have this filter.

There is also a nice post here with pictures and repair guide screenshots regarding fluid and filter change on an S5:
0B5 DSG, S-tronic, 7-speed 35000 mile service, fluid and filter B8 A4, A4, A5,