S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DSG Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSG Problem

So I traded my 2010 S4 a few weeks ago and got a 2013 S4. Driving home yesterday I get two alarms flashing on the dash. One for a transmission malfunction and the other is a TPMS malfunction. I could still drive the car but the shifts went from a few milliseconds to a couple seconds. The engine would rev to about 3K RPM then almost a complete loss of power while the RPM dropped to about 2K and the transmission would upshift. It was too late to bring the car to the dealership yesterday so I brought it in this morning. I start the car and get the TPMS malfunction alarm but no transmission alarm. The transmission seems fine on my way to the dealership but the check engine light stays on. The TPMS warning light ends up going off on my way to the dealership. Get a call a couple hours later and am told they don't know what the problem is and have to call the Audi Tech Line on Monday. Who's knows how this will turn out but with only a little over 500 miles on the car, I'm starting to think I should have stayed with the 6MT I had in my 2010. Stay tuned...
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

do you have a VAG (VCDS)? you could check what codes you got.

Bruce
Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't. I'll have to wait to hear what the dealership says.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not to change subject but it looks like we both went from 2010 6sp S4's to 2013 S-tronic! Does your dead pedal have a nice cover on it or did you get shafted like me. Seems like they forget forgot mine. Ice Silver is a great color on 2013! Hope you get your issue resolved.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got shafted like you. Must be the early builds didn't get the nicer one.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EDIT: content removed for thread clean up but post remains for thread continuity. Jusforfun

Last edited by Jusforfun; 08-04-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Das
$hitty
Gearbox
Audi engineering=Dubious trouble prone electronics matched to trouble prone mechanical mechanisms.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to hear your problem. I am moving from a 6MT G35 to the Stronic, I debated over the 6MT, and I Have to say hearing this news has me worried! Keep us posted..
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's the story I'm getting. My dealer's service department sent the computer reports to Audi Tech Line for them to analyze and see if they could figure out the problem. I'm told that Audi doesn't know what the problem is but it's bad enough that they want to put in a new transmission so they can dissect mine to determine what part(s) have failed and see whether then can trace it back to a particular build period or a specific parts supplier. I think they want to make sure this isn't a widespread problem that will affect more vehicles. I'll find out tomorrow if a transmission can be located in the US or if they have to expedite one from Germany. Needless to say I'm not happy with this but if they can fix it and I don't have to worry about it anymore, I'll feel better. I'd rather they replace the whole transmission instead of replacing part by part until they figure out the real problem.

The odd part of this is that the transmission seemed fine the morning I took the car to the dealership. I was hoping it was just a software glitch but apparently not. I'll try to get more details when I speak to the dealer tomorrow about what the car's computer showed.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
Audi engineering=Dubious trouble prone electronics matched to trouble prone mechanical mechanisms.
Well aren't you a bundle of sunshine.

Quick Reply: DSG Problem