S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DSG Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No,I am a person that has close to 20 years experience working on VW/Audi cars and have experienced/dealt with countless electronic & mechanical issues with VAG cars.
If you rent/lease your car,then you have NO worries,snce you don't even own the car and re essentially paying to borrow it and will return it to Audi with no obligation,so don;t worry,enjoy all the tech you want,but for OWNERS of these cars,such as myself,I would NEVER buy a DSG or any high po Audi with a AT,S or RS cars,whatever...when you own the car afer warranty then a bad trans is a 5K+ liability....I would rather deal with a worn clutch assembly on a MT6 that has NO electronics to crap out on it vs. a robot shifting transmssion.
This new/younger generation,is so enamored in "tech" that they don't realise that it comes with a price..overcomplexity & expense .
I own a S4 but waited until a MT6 was available and NO variable assist steering & adaptive suspension since I see all of these unnecessary in a motor vehicle & problems waiting to happen.
Read this guys thread,DSG ISSUES ON A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!
Open your eyes folks,there are numerous DSG problem threads all over the boards,not to mention CVT/ad regular auto trans issues,MANY on cars with less than 100k miles on them.
We all have our opinions..
Lease/borrow---get anything
Buy/own----manual trans is the way to go!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 78,000 km on my 2010 S4. I drive my car like I stole it with no DSG issues. Good luck let us know how you make out. Later....
Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
No,I am a person that has close to 20 years experience working on VW/Audi cars and have experienced/dealt with countless electronic & mechanical issues with VAG cars.
If you rent/lease your car,then you have NO worries,snce you don't even own the car and re essentially paying to borrow it and will return it to Audi with no obligation,so don;t worry,enjoy all the tech you want,but for OWNERS of these cars,such as myself,I would NEVER buy a DSG or any high po Audi with a AT,S or RS cars,whatever...when you own the car afer warranty then a bad trans is a 5K+ liability....I would rather deal with a worn clutch assembly on a MT6 that has NO electronics to crap out on it vs. a robot shifting transmssion.
This new/younger generation,is so enamored in "tech" that they don't realise that it comes with a price..overcomplexity & expense .
I own a S4 but waited until a MT6 was available and NO variable assist steering & adaptive suspension since I see all of these unnecessary in a motor vehicle & problems waiting to happen.
Read this guys thread,DSG ISSUES ON A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!
Open your eyes folks,there are numerous DSG problem threads all over the boards,not to mention CVT/ad regular auto trans issues,MANY on cars with less than 100k miles on them.
We all have our opinions..
Lease/borrow---get anything
Buy/own----manual trans is the way to go!
My DSG GTI has 208,000 km on it an 07 with zero tranny issues. I change the tranny fluid every 60,000 km. I recommend this tranny.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us informed. I usually drive an MT. In fact all the cars in our stable are MT. I practice and teach martial arts and as a result suffer injuries from time to time. Recently I injured my arm and it was difficult to shift.

Hence, I elected to get the DSG. I am now having second thoughts. A car that is in the shop doesn't matter if it shifts for you.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey,some "get lucky"..
DSG does have its 40K mile service interval and yes,it s col tech,but myself,I saty away from over the top gadgetry,and think a 3rd pedal will suffice and is not that "hard" to deal with.
The hard part I think is all the hours one must work to pay for a bad auto trans..
DSG...lease it!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seinsmeld,
get back to use when you hit 200K on that S4 DSG trans,THAT will be impressive with NO issues.
I live where there is a lot of stop & go traffic,that kills all the auto trans here.
If you are doing long freeway drive,then that is not stressing out the trans at all.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Think I may just call my dealer and switch to an MT. I had an AT 07 X3 that had so much trouble that I did a trade assist to one with MT. Not one issue in 4 years with that. Yup they hadn't totally sold out and made everything AT at that point.

Last thing I want is to get back into a quirky AT that will be in the shop with mechanics scratching their heads or telling me the famous BMW line, "They're supposed to do that".

Again please let me know asap as I am inches away from changing to an MT and getting the meisterwork short shifter before they are all gone.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Think I may just call my dealer and switch to an MT. I had an AT 07 X3 that had so much trouble that I did a trade assist to one with MT. Not one issue in 4 years with that. Yup they hadn't totally sold out and made everything AT at that point.

Last thing I want is to get back into a quirky AT that will be in the shop with mechanics scratching their heads or telling me the famous BMW line, "They're supposed to do that".

Again please let me know asap as I am inches away from changing to an MT and getting the meisterwork short shifter before they are all gone.
Hey I am in the same boat with a DSG on order to buy coming from a 6MT. I live in the capital of stop and go traffic. I struggled hard with this, but you know what, I think I am going to stick with it in light of what has been written in thread. I also have all the gadgetry in ads, adaptive suspension, sports diff, if it causes me grief so be it, life is short and I am tired of shifting in traffic, I will just enjoy it as long as I can. I think any tech is going to have its issues, if I wanted just a driving machine with no tech I would have gotten a BMW 6MT..
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Maybe YOU need to switch to decaf. Stick with the DSG.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Talbot
Maybe YOU need to switch to decaf. Stick with the DSG.
hahahaha no can do I work the night shift, plus as an engineer we are born to dissect things to the minutiae (plus got really burned badly with a BMW AT, they could not fix).

Quick Reply: DSG Problem