S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DSG Rough Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSG Rough Shifts

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed in earlier posts but I scrolled back several pages and did not see it listed. In my 2010 S4/DSG (with 70k miles), I have been having an issue with the transmission shifting very "clunky" for lack of a better word, for several months. When I take it for service I tell the dealer but no one has been able to identify the problem. During my most recent service (for new brakes) I even got the service manager to do a ride along but of course could not get the car to cooperate. There does not seem to be a pattern to the problem. It does it when the car is cold in the morning and sometimes on the highway when it is nice and warmed up. The only time I notice that it seems to be worse is when I am starting to slow down from a slower speed. My car is my company vehicle and the lease company pays for all service so I am not as concerned as if it were my wife's A6, but I was curious if any other owners had experienced this very rough shifting DSG. As always, thank you all in advance for your advice.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NCAudiFan
I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed in earlier posts but I scrolled back several pages and did not see it listed. In my 2010 S4/DSG (with 70k miles), I have been having an issue with the transmission shifting very "clunky" for lack of a better word, for several months. When I take it for service I tell the dealer but no one has been able to identify the problem. During my most recent service (for new brakes) I even got the service manager to do a ride along but of course could not get the car to cooperate. There does not seem to be a pattern to the problem. It does it when the car is cold in the morning and sometimes on the highway when it is nice and warmed up. The only time I notice that it seems to be worse is when I am starting to slow down from a slower speed. My car is my company vehicle and the lease company pays for all service so I am not as concerned as if it were my wife's A6, but I was curious if any other owners had experienced this very rough shifting DSG. As always, thank you all in advance for your advice.

I have a 2011 and recently had software upgrades and a DSG re-adaptation done on mine and it definitely shifts smoother now. Actually shifts smoother when in sport mode now.

Last edited by Christo123; 01-11-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a lot. They claim they have upodated and put that on there already but it is still pretty rough. I will keep complaining until they figure out what is wrong or it quits working altogether.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Christo123
I have a 2011 and recently had software upgrades and a DSG re-adaptation done on mine and it definitely shifts smoother now. Actually shifts smoother when in sport mode now.
Just had my 2011 in for the same rough shift issue. They performed the software upgrade, re-adaptation and told me to come back in 1,000 miles if the problem reoccurs. According to the dealership, Audi claims that the software update corrects the issue in 90% of the vehicles. Not sure how true that statement is, but so far so good.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gwalt3
Just had my 2011 in for the same rough shift issue. They performed the software upgrade, re-adaptation and told me to come back in 1,000 miles if the problem reoccurs. According to the dealership, Audi claims that the software update corrects the issue in 90% of the vehicles. Not sure how true that statement is, but so far so good.
With the updates the car definitely behaves very differently. Feels like the revs go up a bit while the DSG is downshifting coming to a stop and when turning a corner, I used to hit a dead spot where there was no throttle response at all, now the engine seems to rev a bit keeping me in gear
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Christo123
With the updates the car definitely behaves very differently. Feels like the revs go up a bit while the DSG is downshifting coming to a stop and when turning a corner, I used to hit a dead spot where there was no throttle response at all, now the engine seems to rev a bit keeping me in gear
I haven't noticed the higher revs but will keep an eye on it, I do recall having that same sort of dead spot with no throttle response, which seems to have disappeared now. It's only been a few hundred miles since the software update for me, but so far it's still smooth.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2012 S4 and have had similar jerkiness problems. I have owned the car for 1 year and have brought the car in for service about 3-4 times. The first re-adaptation fixed the big issue I had when I got the car. They have done it once or twice more because I had jerkiness when switching between 1st and 2nd gear (DSG)...

Also, I hear there is a TSB out that the deal referenced to fix my last jerkiness issue. They noticed the transmission was leaking oil so they replaced the pan and gasket. I don't have the invoice at my desk but can look later. No re-adpatation when I took my car in last week..