S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DSG Tranny is not for me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
When I hit the paddles, the gear changes pretty close to immediately.
I wouldn't say they are instant or immediate. There is more lag then I think is acceptable. I personally can't wait for someone to come out with software for our cars DSG. I had the HPA upgrade in my R32 and it was night and day different. Totally made the car so much better to drive.

I'm actually annoyed that the shifts are as slow as they are, even when in sport mode. I wished they were a tad faster.

The build date on my car is 3/10 so when was this new software released?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My build date is also 3/10
Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone around my area who wants to can come for a ride along and see/feel how a DSG is supposed to behave
Old 06-28-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Anyone around my area who wants to can come for a ride along and see/feel how a DSG is supposed to behave
NWS4Guy - You have often responded to people complaining about the rough shifts on the DSG by stating that they just don't understand how to operate it correctly. If this was just an isolated complaint, I probably wouldn't think much of it. However, both here and at AudiZine this is one of the most common complaints about the S-Tronic. Given the amount of discussion on the topic, I have to believe that those complaining about the transmission have a legitimate issue.

My question to you is, have you EVER felt that the transmission had rough gear shifts? Is this something that goes away with the amount of miles driven?

I am just curious because, thinking back to my test drive of the DSG (in May), I too remember taking my foot off the gas and having a rough down shift. I'm used to a conventional Auto transmission right now, so maybe there is more that I need to know about the DSG.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

My DSG shifts just fine and smooth especially when on the gas and blistering when I put it in Sport mode.I did notice a slight jerkiness in the 1-2 shift in stop and go traffic but I like the feel way better than the torque converters my 2 Lexus's had.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clochner
NWS4Guy - You have often responded to people complaining about the rough shifts on the DSG by stating that they just don't understand how to operate it correctly. If this was just an isolated complaint, I probably wouldn't think much of it. However, both here and at AudiZine this is one of the most common complaints about the S-Tronic. Given the amount of discussion on the topic, I have to believe that those complaining about the transmission have a legitimate issue.

My question to you is, have you EVER felt that the transmission had rough gear shifts? Is this something that goes away with the amount of miles driven?

I am just curious because, thinking back to my test drive of the DSG (in May), I too remember taking my foot off the gas and having a rough down shift. I'm used to a conventional Auto transmission right now, so maybe there is more that I need to know about the DSG.
I don't think I have ever responded to anyone telling them they are not driving it right, or don't know how to. I have said that I must have some rare version of the DSG, as mine has never been anything but smooth, and have given some feedback on how you don't lift during shifts, etc though. I provide my experience, opinion and feedback, and perhaps that is taken in a way other than my intent and comes across as illegitimizing someone's complaint, which is not what I am trying to do.

I have lifted during a shift once or twice when I was cut off in traffic and had a rough shift, but considering I have a 18 mile one way commute in mostly stop and go, I think a realistic number if up and down shifts in "D" mixed with my overridding with paddles at least a dozen times each direction could add up to well over 100 shifts (both up and downshifts) just going to work, plus another 100 back home again. Averaging 200 shifts per 5 day work week (we'll skip weekend driving for the sake of argument) comes to 1,000 shifts a week. I took delivery 12/22/09, and I have taken a week vacation since where I didn't drive it.

So in this time, I have had the car functional 26 weeks, or for 26,000 shifts, and have over 8,300 miles on the car. I can remember 2 total times when I had a rough shift. This comes to .0007% of the shifts have been rough - to me a negligable amount, enough for me to claim it "never" shifts roughly. I can't speak for any other DSG than mine and the tester I drove in on 09/07/09, and neither was any rougher than any automatic I have driven (smoother than many in fact).

3 posters in the past I have heard complain went in and hadn't gotten the Oct 30 software flash, did so, and they said it was a world of difference better, so asking about this isn't an attempt to pooh pooh a complaint, but to offer a proven past solution for some people.

My offer still stands, if anyone is in town (even visiting) and wants a ride along, I'm game. I have no "special" way of shifting or applying my foot to the gas pedal - just offering to show what it *should* feel and behave like so they can talk to their dealer in an informed manner and state "My car is NOT shifting correctly, I have been in a car which does, and know what that feels like, and this is not right."
Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In my best estimation I would say that the shifts are smoother now at 8,000+ miles compared to what they were when brand new. It might be me getting used to them...but I don't think so. I have really critical friends ride in my car all the time and not one of them has said anything to me.

IMO...this tranny does not shift as smoothly as a torque converter auto, but it's not 'rough' by any standard I'm famliar with.

This is just my opinion...the old school "torque converter" automatics are great, reliable, reasonably efficient, less expensive to manufacture,etc...but they are missing the sporty nature of a DSG... and in the S4 it's all about sporty.

That BMW doesn't come with a torque converter auto does it? I thought it was something like a BMW Double Clutch DCT Drivelogic. Huh...Guess BMW thinks the sporty way to go is with a DSG styled tranny also.

I would get yours checked out buddy. If it feels that rough that you want to trade it in, then there must be something wrong with it...unless you are being highly critical and honestly I'm sure you are not...I would think you might want to give the dealer another shot a trying to look into it. I would never describe the shifts as rough in my DSG.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Its not for me either!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Its not for me either!
Next meet, you are doing a ride along with me, and driving mine if you want Bruce
Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok, thanks Neal. Just like manuals better though. No hating on S-tronics...

Bruce

Quick Reply: DSG Tranny is not for me!!