S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dynamic Diff. vs. Audi Drive Select

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Diff. vs. Audi Drive Select

Please help me figure something out:

Does the Dynamic Diff option change the suspension setting between the three options: Dynamic, Normal and Comfort? I know it changes the steering input, throttle response but not sure about suspension?

I realize the Audi Drive Select option let's you create a custom combination base on your preferences including the suspension. It just seems that it doesn't really provide that much value compared to just the dynamic diff option.

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the full, expensive ADS system, the buttons that change the mode, change all components.

If you have only the sport diff, they don't change the suspension, because you don't have those (expensive) controllable shocks installed.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That makes sense now.... thank you. The price difference is significant and if it includes and upgraded/adjustable suspension... now it seems like a good idea. I don't think the web-site does it justice in describing the difference.

Thx.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Correct, the site (and sadly many Audi dealers) are not well versed in what you get and what does what.

Depends on what you want. There are definite noticable differences between the 3 modes of suspension when driving. Without full ADS, the stock (unadjustable) suspension feel and response falls somewhere between "Auto" and "Dynamic" on the ADS car.

The huge cost difference you rightly point out only buys you 2 things over what the controls which come with the Sport Diff has:

- Adjustable suspension
- Ability to change the ratio of the steering, making it more precise and less turns lock to lock

If you get the Sport Diff (and full ADS) you can control:

- Steering feedback (the power steering helps less or more to give you more feel)
- Engine/Throttle response (and with the DSG it alters shift points) to provide economy for Comfort mode, power and aggressiveness with Dynamic, or tries to give you some of each in Auto depending on how you drive moment to moment
- Sport Diff aggressivness (if it steps in sooner or later to assist with cornering and torque vectoring)

Things to consider with full ADS is of course the cost, but also if you want to ever make any changes to the suspension, it could either be impossible (depending on what you want to do) or hard and spendy. Likewise if you keep the car for many years, all the fancy active suspension will likely at some point need to be replaced or have problems - making it much more likely to cost more than parts you can more easily get replacements for.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Correct, the site (and sadly many Audi dealers) are not well versed in what you get and what does what.

Things to consider with full ADS is of course the cost, but also if you want to ever make any changes to the suspension, it could either be impossible (depending on what you want to do) or hard and spendy. Likewise if you keep the car for many years, all the fancy active suspension will likely at some point need to be replaced or have problems - making it much more likely to cost more than parts you can more easily get replacements for.
A bit off-topic, but your comments reminded me of an "old-timers" view I have of many new cars, especially hi-tech wonders like the 2010 Audi’s. I am very concerned about long-term repair/maintenance costs when I see all the bells and whistles that many buyers see as "must haves". I am leaning toward an A4 Premium or A5 Premium for the very reason that I would avoid LED lights front and rear and HID headlights, as well as some of the other MMI-type controls that IMHO are likely to cost an outrageous amount of money to erplace or repair five or more years down the pike. I like 'em well constructed and as reliable and simple to repair as possible given the marvelous current state of automobiles, which generally speaking I love. However, it almost seems to me one would want to lease out of fear that something breaks in the out-years when it isn’t under warranty! Well, back to my typewriter now I guess – lol!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll take this as tongue in cheek, and hope it is.

That said, LED's have much lower power use and are not at all that expensive to replace, having a MUCH longer life than incandescent or Halogen bulbs -LED's on average are in the 25,000 to 100,000 hours of use between failure timeframe.

HID's are also very mainstream, in fact I replaced my factory ones with a pair with a higher temperature color for all of 30 minutes of my time and ~$100.

The fact that the Sport diff is ~$1000 and the ADS system entirely costs about ~$3000 more than this, when all it adds is changing steering ratio and active suspension points to the fact that the suspension components are pricey, since all the rest is just enabling the ECU to change what is already installed (without both ADS or Sport Diff, you don't get the button installed, which maps the already adjustable options this gives, so those components are there, just hidden with no way to control them present.

It's a fact that shocks wear out - MUCH faster than light bulbs, and are always going to cost orders of magnitude more to replace, labor and all. Adding an even more complex setup to the mix will only exacerbate this.

There is a fine line between cutting edge and bleeding edge - bleeding edge will always pay a lot more for things which can be had cheaper only a year or so down the road. There is also a difference between being cautious of new just because it's different, and being cautious of something new because it's potentially not worth the fiscal cost versus risk.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depends on what you want. There are definite noticable differences between the 3 modes of suspension when driving. Without full ADS, the stock (unadjustable) suspension feel and response falls somewhere between "Auto" and "Dynamic" on the ADS car.

The huge cost difference you rightly point out only buys you 2 things over what the controls which come with the Sport Diff has:

- Adjustable suspension
- Ability to change the ratio of the steering, making it more precise and less turns lock to lock
All correct. As a small addition, some people get a bit confused and think that the only way that the suspension and the steering ratio are adjusted with ADS is by pushing the button/changing the settings. Not quite true; the "Auto" setting on ADS does adjust the suspension and the steering ratio at different speeds and conditions. "Comfort," "Auto," and "Dynamic" are the names for three different software maps of how to change those components.

An ADS car with steering in "Auto" will vary the steering ratio between low speed and high speed driving, even if you never change the ADS setting. A BMW 3-Series with Dynamic Steering works the same way, except that you can't choose between Dynamic, Auto, and Comfort-- there's only one default map for how the steering ratio changes. A non-ADS car, without Active Steering, won't do this, though it will change the amount of power steering boost.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not to be Rude, but ...

I'm not trying to be a jerk but, *another* question about ADS/sport diff? How many times has this question, or some variant of it, about the ADS come up? It seems like there needs to be a little better information available so that people know what they're getting. It's not very clear at all about what you get when you order (or don't order) these options.

I mean, when you see a Crest toothpaste commercial, they put up graphics with two columns that show the "competitor's brand" and Crest. Then, beneath that, all kinds of "features" of toothpaste are listed. Check-marks indicate which features (fresh breath, tarter protection, whitening, etc.) each brand has.

Why can't something like this be created by Audi (or *someone*) that compares: no sport diff/ADS, sport diff only, and ADS? That would clear up a lot of issues once and for all.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll take this as tongue in cheek, and hope it is.

There is a fine line between cutting edge and bleeding edge - bleeding edge will always pay a lot more for things which can be had cheaper only a year or so down the road. There is also a difference between being cautious of new just because it's different, and being cautious of something new because it's potentially not worth the fiscal cost versus risk.
Not fully serious, but not tongue in cheek either. I have read posts here about an A5 owner being told that the part needed to replace the DRL's are $1,000 (probably a pair since the shapes are mirror image opposiites I guess) event though only a few of the lamps are out. I am too old these days to screw around replacing stuff myself (used to rebuild engines, trannies, put in a new water pump, etc. - but those days are over) so I would be at the mercy of a dealer or repair shop. At times, simpler is better. I am amazed that some AW posters report buying a $60G S5 and their first post is about an insufficient number of heated seat settings and the like. No mention of how fast, how great it handles; instead, the MMI adjustments for the heater vents are hard to decipher and issues like that. I still love cars for their "go" and their dynamic capabilites - as well as for style. For my money, Audi would have a winner (at least for guys like me) with a stripped down A5 with a super turboed 2.0 gas engine, no power door locks, seats and such. Maybe save 200-300 lbs; a sort of club racer version with the emphasis on the mechanical components, not electronically adjustable this and that with motors moving things your hand can do. Well - I guess I am old - huh?

Last edited by irenesbob; 01-07-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jalopnik review say:

Thankfully, this model wasn't equipped with the silly Drive Select system, which makes things worse by buggering up the steering with artificial weight instead of feel. Other than that reservation, the chassis complements the responsive, powerful engine with agility and quick steering.
Looks like they don't like the ADS.

http://jalopnik.com/5440875/2010-audi-s4/gallery/

Quick Reply: Dynamic Diff. vs. Audi Drive Select