S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

dynamic steering RATIO

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dynamic steering RATIO

I am getting the sports diff . It includes steering settings that allow the "heaviness" to be adjusted. It does NOT include the steering ratio adjustment that is included with the ADS package. I would like the ratio adjustment but I do not want the adjustable suspension so am stuck.....

But the ratio package is not an integrated part of the ADS. In the UK you can add it to the car as a stand alone option ($1250)

I bet the software to control the steering ratio is loaded in the car. All we have to do is find a source for the hardware, and off we go.....

Can someone who knows car tech check my logic?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hardware will be missing, see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7huVZANC4

Skip ahead to 1:00 to see how the hardware varies the ratio
Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 282 Likes on 205 Posts

The variable ratio steering uses a different pump & steering assembly. It will cost a lot more to add the variable ratio, than the factory option. Better to just buy ADS.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444
The variable ratio steering uses a different pump & steering assembly. It will cost a lot more to add the variable ratio, than the factory option. Better to just buy ADS.
That's why I asked......

I couldn't test the ADS but decided to pass on it because I don't trust adjustable suspensions to feel "honest". I had a Volvo with that type of set up and all of the settings felt unnatural. Had Audi put in the magnetic adjustment that is in the TT (for g-ds sake) I'd have taken the shot, but that's new tech vs. the damper system available in the S4.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gmermel
That's why I asked......

I couldn't test the ADS but decided to pass on it because I don't trust adjustable suspensions to feel "honest". I had a Volvo with that type of set up and all of the settings felt unnatural. Had Audi put in the magnetic adjustment that is in the TT (for g-ds sake) I'd have taken the shot, but that's new tech vs. the damper system available in the S4.
If money is no object, I'd buy the ADS for the ratio and then replace the dynamic suspension with adjustable coilovers and sell the stock shocks and springs.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreaddontdie
If money is no object, I'd buy the ADS for the ratio and then replace the dynamic suspension with adjustable coilovers and sell the stock shocks and springs.
Ya know, that's not a bad idea. I might have considered it if I had thought of it BEFORE my car was built (last week).

Would have been pricey, though. $4000 for the ADS, $2000 for the new parts and maybe $1000 or less on the sale? I suspect putting together all the ADS parts would be in that ballpark.....
Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya know, that's not a bad idea. I might have considered it if I had thought of it BEFORE my car was built (last week).

Would have been pricey, though. $4000 for the ADS, $2000 for the new parts and maybe $1000 or less on the sale? I suspect putting together all the ADS parts would be in that ballpark.....
doh...forgot it was built already..my bad. well, that's my plan anyway if I start to track the car someday, but for now, ADS should surpass my expectations. I will do some sport springs tho to drop the car.

guess you could try pinging folks on AZ too...but I'm sure you will still love your car either way.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting the sports diff . It includes steering settings that allow the "heaviness" to be adjusted. It does NOT include the steering ratio adjustment that is included with the ADS package. I would like the ratio adjustment but I do not want the adjustable suspension so am stuck.....

But the ratio package is not an integrated part of the ADS. In the UK you can add it to the car as a stand alone option ($1250)

I bet the software to control the steering ratio is loaded in the car. All we have to do is find a source for the hardware, and off we go.....

Can someone who knows car tech check my logic?
I have heard that some people have recorded faster times without the Dynamic steering ratio (set to Auto).
Not sure about the details and I am by far an expert on the matter, but something about steering being too polar and easily upsetting the balance and traction of the car through turns.
Could have been a load of crap.
I'm sure it feels a hell of a lot better than a non ADS car, however it sounded like it wasn't a necessity if you are looking for an advantage performance wise.

I know someone will correct me on this for sure...