S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Exhaust dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr bryan
Welcome to the ibis club and get used to it I second the clay, seal, wax. Do your rims as well and it should all rinse/wipe off easily.
hmm, does anyone know if the step two mothers' sealant is abrasive? I have clearbra which can't have abrasive material on it, so i was wondering (I have the step 1-3 mothers)
Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's definitely not exhaust. As NWS4GUY explained, this is a natural occurance for any moving vehicle on the road. One of the best examples is the back doors of semi trailers. They are coated with all kinds of roadgrime that gets kicked up and trapped behind the structure. As a car ages, the bumper and decklid takes the most abuse with contaminants. Clay all the way.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Clay all the way.
huh, I was thinking along similar lines just last night. I have a pretty long (~800') gravel driveway and it has been quite dry this summer and very dry over the past few weeks. All it takes to get the car dusty is one trip up or down the driveway. The car is Deep Sea Blue so the light brownish/grey dust is really noticeable but I obviously can't wash the car every time I use the driveway, especially since we're in conservation mode with our well - we don't have a problem now and want to keep it that way.

so, can you dust a car? If I had a compressor I'd try using air but since I don't does anyone know of something soft enough and "dust-magnetic" enough to get the dust off without dragging it across the paint and leaving tiny scratches everywhere? I suppose I could hose it down real quick but there's the water issue and I'm not sure it would even work in the first place.

Little help?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would not recommend dusting. You may try a pressure washer, it will use much less water than just a hose and the dust will come right off as long as you have a wax or sealant on there.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sunstealer
A lot of it is probably brake dust. My Alpine White 335i was the same way.
+1
It is not exhaust dust it is brake dust that most of you see.
Up here in Canada it is even worst in the winter time.
The Brake dust combined with the road salt and water makes little specs of rust spots all over the car.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i'm not pro detailer, so i could be wrong, but i think a pressure washer, depending on how high the pressure, can wear off wax (assuming you wax your car) and unless you dry it, the water will also harm the finish.

aassuming you've already protected your paint somehow (wax), a california duster (look it up on amazon or something) followed up with a quick detail spray might be a better bet.

but it all depends on how bad the dirt is, how often you wash your car already, etc etc
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

+1.

simple aerodynamic principles at play. ALL cars do this, some moreseo than others due to car design...
Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, AcBc, thanks for the heads up, I had never heard of a California Car Duster, but they exist:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-C...sim_dbs_auto_8

And they seem to be a really good product, if you are willing to believe a bunch of guys on a Miata forum:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-97424.htm

I'm gonna order one right now. According to the Miata guys you have to let the thing sit out for a few days on newspaper, unwrapped to let the excess wax get absorbed by the paper.

If this thing works I will be stoked.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Hey, AcBc, thanks for the heads up, I had never heard of a California Car Duster, but they exist:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-C...sim_dbs_auto_8

And they seem to be a really good product, if you are willing to believe a bunch of guys on a Miata forum:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-97424.htm

I'm gonna order one right now. According to the Miata guys you have to let the thing sit out for a few days on newspaper, unwrapped to let the excess wax get absorbed by the paper.

If this thing works I will be stoked.
Speaking from experience, it will mar your paint over time. Just not enough to be noticeable after a few uses. Even if the duster itself is waxed, you're dragging dirt and dust across dry paint.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Speaking from experience, it will mar your paint over time. Just not enough to be noticeable after a few uses. Even if the duster itself is waxed, you're dragging dirt and dust across dry paint.
Yes, that is a valid concern. which is why i suggest making sure the car is well waxed when using it to prevent any kind of scratching. but even any scratching that occurs with the california duster, if used lightly (ie just lightly drag it around), should be extremely minimal. nothing that a quick hand polish couldn't handle.

the other option is leaving the dust there till the next full wash (which some ppl might not care to do) or just do full washes more often (which some ppl don't have the time for).

pick your poison. it sucks being OCD about keeping cars clean sometimes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust dust