S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Experiences trading in lease ahead of time

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences trading in lease ahead of time

Anyone done this? I am wondering how complicated it will be. Based on kbb I should be able to get roughly my current lease buyout amount. I know unfortunately I have to use an audi dealer because audi fs will up charge another brand dealer or carmax... Etc.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xlover
Anyone done this? I am wondering how complicated it will be. Based on kbb I should be able to get roughly my current lease buyout amount. I know unfortunately I have to use an audi dealer because audi fs will up charge another brand dealer or carmax... Etc.
I've heard it's an extremely simple process, even with carmax or another brand. Audi leases also give some wiggle room with the value, so you should be able to break even or make some cash assuming you've had the lease for a bit.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is really no different than trading in a car you financed, other than not getting a sales tax benefit for the trade in value (since lessees pay sales tax as you go). I actually traded in a leased car (A6) last year that was in an accident and still being repaired. I traded it in at the dealer where I originally bought it and was involved in the repair together with an Audi certified body shop.

I think you can also trade in a non-Audi dealer or sell at CarMax pretty easily.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/g...-easy-way.html
Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
It is really no different than trading in a car you financed, other than not getting a sales tax benefit for the trade in value (since lessees pay sales tax as you go). I actually traded in a leased car (A6) last year that was in an accident and still being repaired. I traded it in at the dealer where I originally bought it and was involved in the repair together with an Audi certified body shop.

I think you can also trade in a non-Audi dealer or sell at CarMax pretty easily.
My understanding from talking to audi financial is that instead of using the buyout price for a non audi dealer they come up with a higher "fair market price" in order to discourage what I want to do. I suppose my hope is that an audi dealer in the area will give me a good offer on it even though I will not be buying another vehicle from them.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought the buyout price is set by the lease agreement. If YOU buy out the car (e.g. with cash or financing) that price is set to what you see on the AFS website. I'm not sure how AFS could justify charging a buyout based on some higher value regardless of who buys it out. You should receive FMV from the buyer and pay off the contractual payoff amount, with you receiving any positive or paying any negative difference.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Audi dealers can get a discount from AFS on such buyouts but I don't think that would necessarily benefit you. They would have to pass those savings on to you. Ultimately, I think you need to find the car you want and work with dealers of that brand to find the right deal and then double check with an Audi dealer to see if they want to buy the car. I doubt an Audi dealer will help you much if you aren't buying another Audi.

Edit: Before I had the accident in the A6 I was looking at a few Porsche cars. (Thank God I didn't do it...). They all asked my lease buyout and no one insinuated they would have to pay more than my buyout, so I'm scratching my head about what AFS told you. Interested in outcome, so please keep up posted.

Last edited by RickFLS4; 08-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just did it when I bought my S4 in June. We bought out the lease of our Q5 that my wife wanted to keep. Simply take the residual amount and add every monthly payment until lease end this will give you the buy out amount that you owe to Audi FS!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, an Audi dealer can buy your leased car for less than the current pay off . In my case is is about $400 less than I would pay. I'm trading my 2010 in the next 2 weeks for a 2014 that I ordered on 6/14. Getting $5k plus $1k in incentives plus Audi pays my first lease payment. Lease is over on 9/31. Makes absolutely no sense to give car back to AFS with equity in the car. BTW, I was told by AFS that non Audi dealers can buy the car for the same price as the leasee. That was not the case when I tried to trade my 04 S4 in on a 335i.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shivamerlin
I just did it when I bought my S4 in June. We bought out the lease of our Q5 that my wife wanted to keep. Simply take the residual amount and add every monthly payment until lease end this will give you the buy out amount that you owe to Audi FS!
But then you are giving them a car with less depreciation (newer, fewer miles) on it than the residual value was based on?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Actually, an Audi dealer can buy your leased car for less than the current pay off . In my case is is about $400 less than I would pay. I'm trading my 2010 in the next 2 weeks for a 2014 that I ordered on 6/14. Getting $5k plus $1k in incentives plus Audi pays my first lease payment. Lease is over on 9/31. Makes absolutely no sense to give car back to AFS with equity in the car. BTW, I was told by AFS that non Audi dealers can buy the car for the same price as the leasee. That was not the case when I tried to trade my 04 S4 in on a 335i.
I can understand the Audi dealer getting a discount, but why would another dealer pay more than the lessee? Could the other dealer set it up so the lessee buys it at lessee price and simultaneously trades it in, assuming sales tax is neutral in the trade (I.e. get credit for sales tax on buyout in trade for new car)?

Quick Reply: Experiences trading in lease ahead of time