S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

A few rotten apples...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
certainly not for the 4.2 (which I was referencing). Haven't heard a Milltek B8 (videos don't count).
Go listen to one Sak, not bad for a V6 IMO. I have listened to DrVolkl's and mine in person, sounds pretty sweet! Both non-res with downpipes,

I had a full turbo-back Milltek exhaust on my stage 3 B5 S4, was very nice. this guy is louder though!

Bruce
Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zerinS4
If we're going to be realistic... who the hell in their right mind buys an Audi to drag race with in the first place? I could build an old Fox Body 'Stang for 10k all in that could run 4 rings around either the B5 or B8 S4 down the ole 1320. Why the hell isn't anyone arguing handling, comfort, or any of the other reasons that the motoring press and Audi community alike love the B8? Maybe I'm just old and grumpy but I outgrew the Fast and Furious mentality LONG ago.

I understand the appeal of benchmarking a car in the 1/4 mile to see what the car can do. Primetime is really out there testing the limits of what our cars can do and it's a solid indication of what each mod is adding to our platform, and I thank him for what he's done...but even Ron probably knows that ANY Audi is the wrong platform to build a drag car out of.

At the end of the day, you might as well be arguing abortion in that thread. No minds will be changed and both parties will just continue to argue till that thread is ultimately locked. It's pointless.

was catching up on this thread and ran into this.

+1

I diddnt buy my car because I wanted it to rape the track or the 1/4. If I wanted a car to do that Id be rocking a Z06. But that just aint practical.

Audis are practical yet sporty cars..
Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

In reference to what Saki posted about Internals. I am actually curious and have been searching around to see how the internals of the B8 platform are.

I see where you are coming from Saki and understand what you are trying to convey in your post. However it just seems like you are missing a few more key parts before you can solidify your points against the whole B6 vs B8 etc etc discussion.

If anyone here knows about the internals of our car (in great detail) would be amazing to know. And how it compares to older gens of course :P

I honestly think both platforms are amazing. And anyone saying otherwise is a complete idiot. I do not take sides. So I am just feeding off all this general information to learn a thing or two

Also hats off to you primetime for all the track work you have done to get us numbers on how our cars really perform stock, tuned, and so forth.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Proogz
was catching up on this thread and ran into this.

+1

I diddnt buy my car because I wanted it to rape the track or the 1/4. If I wanted a car to do that Id be rocking a Z06. But that just aint practical.

Audis are practical yet sporty cars..
It is just part of the "whole package", strip to road course to snow. Try running your stang or Z06 in the snow.

Bruce
Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I owned a Fox body Stang... in High school. My 2nd car. Sweet ride... ran a 14.69 at 92mph and that car was one of the fastest of the day.... well at least of my group of friends. lol
This of course was 1992.

I kept that car for a few years, modding the crap out of it. Full length headers, exhaust, no cats, etc etc. I could have gone to the moon with that car if I had kept it and kept on modding it... but hey, seriously... I was looking for more than just a 1/4 mile car. I've owned something like 20+ vehicles since.

I think I understand where the B5 crew are coming from.... lots of passion, lots of heart put into those cars.. and they're fast. Very fast. But at some point you want the whole package or your needs change.... or you realize that really no vehicle does everything perfect... and as you evolve, so does what you need in a car. What I needed at 17 is not what I need today, but it's along the same lines.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell is this snow you people keep talking about?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerinS4
What the hell is this snow you people keep talking about?
A place called "Not Houston"
Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I was looking for more than just a 1/4 mile car. I've owned something like 20+ vehicles since.

I think I understand where the B5 crew are coming from.... lots of passion, lots of heart put into those cars.. and they're fast. Very fast. But at some point you want the whole package or your needs change.... or you realize that really no vehicle does everything perfect... and as you evolve, so does what you need in a car. What I needed at 17 is not what I need today, but it's along the same lines.
Originally Posted by Proogz
I think people misunderstand the point of the 1/4 mile with our cars. The reason the B5/6/7 guys look to the quarter mile so prominently is as a measure of power and performance. That's really it. Other than guruman and a couple of others, there are hardly any real drag racers among us. Drag racers know this is an insane car to drag race. It weighs too much, it's too expensive to mod. No, we're not aiming to get the best ET and MPH we can on a timeslip...we're aiming to measure our Audi S4 and compare it to other Audi S4s with various modlists etc. I mean what else are you going to look at? Here are the 4 things I hear guys talk about all the time as a 'true test' of power and performance.

dynos - stock, APR's B8 showed 322whp. stock, nws4guy's b8 showed 275 whp. Both parties had their cars dyno'd properly, and both parties are full of integrity and guys we trust. YET the numbers were off by 47whp..APR dyno'd nearly 20% higher than NWS4guy. Why? Dynos are all different and there is so much variation even pull to pull that the numbers are really hard to hang your hat on. That example alone speaks to why dyno numbers alone are disregarded by many who are looking for proof of performance. Here's another great one for a supercharged application: VF engineering and PES sell a supercharger for the B6/7 S4. They routinely dyno 380-400 WHP...yet run the quarter mile in 12.7-13.0 seconds...but more importantly they trap 110-111mph. Do you guys really believe that 400whp dyno? I sure don't. Problem is a couple of the dynos were full independant, uncorrected and done by guys I trust. Those cars are performing like they are making around 320whp...not 400...yet the dyno says 400. They weren't broken cars once they hit the dragstrip. They weren't bad drivers. They were just driving cars that show the dyno isn't always accurate.

60-130 times - well, this is full of flaws for many reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that almost nobody has a pbox. Measuring with a stop watch while driving is useless (speedo is wrong...reaction of stopwatch will skew results). Most important though is the road...if it's on any sort of an incline or decline, that will throw the numbers WAY off. This test is frankly a joke that gets abused so often its laughable. Further it was developed for RWD power monsters who spin the tires till well into 3rd gear, thus 1/4 mile is a tough test for them. Our cars are 4000lb AWD sedans. Not a problem.

FATS times - FATS was invented by a couple of tuners who were comparing logs of their cars and their customers cars, but always on the exact same stretch of road. Soon everyone was using it on their own roads...etc. etc. This became the most abused test in the b5 world by tuners and fanboys alike trying to claim great FATS times to inflate their e-dicks and sell parts. The influx of bad data ruined the integrity of what good data there was. Again, like 60-130, the road you test on is going to skew the results incredibly. There's also no proof required...guys would just say 'oh...I ran X.XX'. WTF?

lap times at a proper track - I can't even begin to talk abou tthe variance that different drivers in the exact same car will deliver on a track. All you need to do is look at the Top Gear Hot Laps board. There are about 50 timed laps in the Suzuki and another 50 in the Chevy...yet the times are all over the planet. Range is 1:44 to 2:00...and those are ALL THE SAME CAR! Needless to say there are way too many variables on a race course to be able to compare car to car, modlist to modlist when talking about a race track, not the least of which is the different drivers. Nevermind that we enthusiasts are all over the country and can't test on the same track.

Now lets look at the 1/4 mile
while the 1/4 mile requires some driving skill, as long as you launch REASONABLY well and shift like you know how to drive, your TRAP SPEED will show us the power your car is making. If you improve your ET (time) but not your trap speed, we'll know that you launched/shifted/drove better, but didn't make any more power than last time. You can't cheat at the dragstrip. You can't say what you ran, then never produce a timeslip or video to back it up. It's standardized with a standard set of timing and MPH measuring devices along the track (60 foot, 330foot, 1/8mile, 1000 foot, 1/4 mile, including mph at the last few distance markers). The data is standardized...the track is standardized...and the integrity is unquestioned.

Last edited by sakimano; 10-14-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

where is this 400whp dyno you are talking about?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by riegerman
where is this 400whp dyno you are talking about?
which one...the supercharged B6/7 S4s with PES or VF Eaton M90 superchargers in the kit?

There are half a dozen.

members include

jbImolaS4
ngng
todeshandler
b6guy42
VF in house

You can google VF S4 dyno or PES S4 dyno

PES is now selling the same kit to S5 owners and they're eating it up with a giant spoon. Sad.

Quick Reply: A few rotten apples...