S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

First 1000 miles, some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aj25
Hey guys.

Clocked in my first 1000 miles so far on my S4 delivered 3 weeks ago. Doing about 16.5 MPG driving 80% city. Hoping to click that up by one or two digits for the next 1000 miles.

Three questions for you S4'ers, one is detailing related:

- I've noticed when I go from 0mph then begin slowly accelerating, something seems to briefly click under what feels like the gas pedal around 10 mph. It's a very subtle click you can feel on the pedal and hear. Is that normal?

- Interior rattle: located on the front passenger side, either the door or corner/dash area. Anyone ever had a rattle coming from this area, and if so did you figure out what it was?

- Detailing question: Phantom black is awesome, but after 3 handwashes all those little micromarring scratches are starting to appear in direct sunlight. I'm using all good stuff from DetailersDomain, and washing the car with all good practices (2 bucket grit guard, etc). being that this is a brand new car, is there anything else I should be coating the paint with?

All for now. Thanks!

-aj
1. yes i have the exact same click... apparently its fairly common. not sure what it is.

2. i've got a similar rattle coming out of the corner and i found that mine was coming from the side panel of the dash... if i open the door and tap on the inside/side panel of the dash i hear the exact same buzzing sound. I put one of those little felt pads right in the corner and it helped a little.

3. i also have the phantom black... i've come to realize that the micro swirls are pretty much impossible to absolutely prevent. A good waffle microfiber drying towel will go a long way in preventing the bigger ones. A good polisher and some practice will remove them. I've gone with a collinite 476s wax. it works well for me.

gl
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a metoeo grey car, and I also have the micro scratches, I was super careful but that is not the point.

Pulled out the pinnacle souveran that I used for my now sold off guards red porsche, it sux. Switched to Swissvax Shield, and it is much better. I just ordered the menzerna polish from detailers domain, phil over there was quite helpful....

I have just over 3000 miles (funny i Have only had the car 1 month!), no rattles at all, nothing. Only thing I don't like about the car so far is the fact that one cannot just roll down the driver's window - the buffeting is bad, gotta crack the other windows when I want to drive with the windows down.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got a phantom black as well....I tried cleaning it once myself....failed. So now I take it to a certified audi body shop and they detail my car for about 100 bucks. There washes are around 25 bucks, but definately worth it. No marks.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aj25
- Interior rattle: located on the front passenger side, either the door or corner/dash area. Anyone ever had a rattle coming from this area, and if so did you figure out what it was?
-aj
I do have a rattle or noise on the passenger side, more of a clicking sound than rattle really. It only happens when a passenger is in the seat, wearing the belt and it seems to be coming from the pillar where the shoulder belt is located. I was going to wait until next service to have it looked at, unless anyone has had the same thing and knows the fix.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A common cause of the microscratches is not enough water during hand washing. You should have your sponge (or whatever you use to wash) in one hand and the hose in the other hand pouring warter right where you're washing. Flood it as much as possible.

If you're already doing this, well, I dunno.