S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

First Bad suprise with S4

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bad suprise with S4

Well we had the first real snow in NY yesterday. Driving back was perfect with the car holding well on the snow (I have the regular all season tires that are supplied by Audi on the 19's).
I got home , shoveled my driveway (very slightly inclined). I backed up the car (there was maybe tops 1/4 inch of snow), put the handbrake on, stepped out, locked the car and was walking away, when............suddenly the whole car starting sliding down the driveway and ended getting stopped by my wife's Q5 parked there........ It was dark and snowing so have not had time to assess damage yet but at this point seems like minor scratches.........so warning to all of you out there, either get snow tires (I thought all season would be sufficient but I was horribly wrong) or leave your S4 on a flat road.....
Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As far as I know in the US, all s4's are high performance summer tires only. I didn't think any s4's came with all seasons? Did you do a swap?

Last edited by no cell; 02-11-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjs1975
Well we had the first real snow in NY yesterday. Driving back was perfect with the car holding well on the snow (I have the regular all season tires that are supplied by Audi on the 19's).
I got home , shoveled my driveway (very slightly inclined). I backed up the car (there was maybe tops 1/4 inch of snow), put the handbrake on, stepped out, locked the car and was walking away, when............suddenly the whole car starting sliding down the driveway and ended getting stopped by my wife's Q5 parked there........ It was dark and snowing so have not had time to assess damage yet but at this point seems like minor scratches.........so warning to all of you out there, either get snow tires (I thought all season would be sufficient but I was horribly wrong) or leave your S4 on a flat road.....
Sorry to hear that but sounds like disaster averted as it could have been a lot worse. Curious about the comment above on the 19's...I was only aware that Audi supplied with Summer performance tires and not all seasons. Either way, hope it's minor.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

No S4 ships with all season tires! You are running Z rated summer tires which means limited to zero traction in temps below 40 degrees!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Really sorry to hear this....but if you'ree still on the stock tires, that could be the cause. As others have pointed out, they are no all-season tires, and are definitely not good in icy or snowy weather.

My car is due here in April or May, and I will definitely be switching tires before next winter.

Regards,

Michael
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Indeed, your tires were hockey pucks given the temps here in the NE and the fact you were driving in snow which probably also packed into the treds. Pickup some snow tires and quick!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by canyoncarver
No S4 ships with all season tires! You are running Z rated summer tires which means limited to zero traction in temps below 40 degrees!
I tried, too. They wouldn't even place the order for any tires (even on the 18s) other than the stock summer tires. While I understand that in warm, dry weather, those tires are great.....the fact that I live in the Northeast (in the hills, no less) should at least give me the option of ordering the car with All-Seasons.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WatchNut
I tried, too. They wouldn't even place the order for any tires (even on the 18s) other than the stock summer tires. While I understand that in warm, dry weather, those tires are great.....the fact that I live in the Northeast (in the hills, no less) should at least give me the option of ordering the car with All-Seasons.
I agree that this should at least be an option as many owners would actually pick a slightly lower performance all season over the stock Z tires.

Audi won't budge an inch on this though, they've been selling their high performance cars in Z only rubber for over a decade.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks to all for your advice...for some reason I was convinced they were all season tires (will double check what they are as they are the stock ones supplied), so that is the reason for sure.....need to get some winter tires quick then as after yesterday's incident I am scared to even go uphill anywhere.........anyway if I can give anyone advice from here on: GET WINTER TIRES
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to all for your advice...for some reason I was convinced they were all season tires (will double check what they are as they are the stock ones supplied), so that is the reason for sure.....need to get some winter tires quick then as after yesterday's incident I am scared to even go uphill anywhere.........anyway if I can give anyone advice from here on: GET WINTER TIRES
Not sure where you are located, but I am surprised that dealer didn't strongly advise you to get winters.
The stock 19's have no place on a wintery road.

Quick Reply: First Bad suprise with S4