S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

fishtail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fishtail?

so had my first fishtail experience ever in an audi (driving audi 5 years).. must say it caught me by a lot of surprise, really not sure how or why it happened, i was on the way home from work through a fun windy road and going into the first turn, whether it was a combination of some fast driving and perhaps coming in too tight, but i must say i was shocked.. still not sure what exactly went wrong that i turned the car almost sideways before regaining control all within 2-3 seconds.. not sure if there was maybe an oil spot on the road or something, i hit that turn everyday on the way home from work, sometimes harder then others but still was quite taken back.. any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was there audible tire squeal?
Do you have sport diff?

To get a vague idea of the road, what is the posted speed limit in this part of the road, and what would you estimate your speed at? Also, what is the road surface (concrete, asphalt, dirt, etc)

Last edited by EF99; 09-18-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Do you have sport diff?

To get a vague idea of the road, what is the posted speed limit in this part of the road, and what would you estimate your speed at? Also, what is the road surface (concrete, asphalt, dirt, etc)
no sport diff. and i believe there was a slight tire squeal almost sounded like when someone jams on there breaks, and this was a side road, not sure what the posted speed is, i believe its 30, its just some side roads, id say i was doing 60, maybe 70.. definitely going too fast for that road but i love the windy roads, and to give you an idea, theres no caution speed limit signs, so these turns are fun swooping loopy turns, thats why i kinda was shocked when it happened.. as i mentioned i hit these turns everyday coming home from work so i know the turns well..
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Do you have sport diff?

and the road surface was asphalt..
Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by papertrade15
no sport diff. and i believe there was a slight tire squeal almost sounded like when someone jams on there breaks, and this was a side road, not sure what the posted speed is, i believe its 30, its just some side roads, id say i was doing 60, maybe 70.. definitely going too fast for that road but i love the windy roads, and to give you an idea, theres no caution speed limit signs, so these turns are fun swooping loopy turns, thats why i kinda was shocked when it happened.. as i mentioned i hit these turns everyday coming home from work so i know the turns well..
So let me get this straight...

You were doing over double the speed limit into a turn, the car lost traction, and you are wondering how something like this could have happened?

Do I have it right?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you might have suffered "lift off oversteer". Did you come off the throttle just before or in the curve? Would be worse if you tapped the brakes...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

sand, oil, coolant, water, newly painted lines, any of these on the road can drastically alter the coefficient of friction and send you off the way you described and you have no idea what happened on that corner before you go there - once that outside tire loses grip you slide

Also: slow down, I love speed and 70 in a 30 may be exhilarating but it is idiocy. If you're lucky the next time that happens you'll just wrap yourself around a tree. If you're unlucky you'll kill a pedestrian or cyclist that you couldn't react to in time.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

my RS4 likes to get sideways. The T3 and newer cars are very capable of that. The majority of the torque is biased to the rear end of the car, and in a number of situations you can get sliding.

Nothing beats a 4 wheel slide around a corner. You can feel the car getting slightly loose. Get a little more on it if you want to scare yourself a bit. Hold it right there to keep the slide. Ease off but watch your steering if you want to calm down.

Fun stuff.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by StumpJumper
sand, oil, coolant, water, newly painted lines, any of these on the road can drastically alter the coefficient of friction and send you off the way you described and you have no idea what happened on that corner before you go there -
Check your tire pressures. It's getting cold and the pressures decrease. Performance tires don't perform as well in the cold.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by StumpJumper
sand, oil, coolant, water, newly painted lines, any of these on the road can drastically alter the coefficient of friction and send you off the way you described and you have no idea what happened on that corner before you go there - once that outside tire loses grip you slide

Also: slow down, I love speed and 70 in a 30 may be exhilarating but it is idiocy. If you're lucky the next time that happens you'll just wrap yourself around a tree. If you're unlucky you'll kill a pedestrian or cyclist that you couldn't react to in time.
super pet peeve of mine and I am a cyclist as well.

Why do some cyclist insist on going down back windy roads that have no curb and huge blind spots. Sorry you cant do the posted speed limit on a back road you are a danger to yourself and me. No empathy at all on this one.

I was doing under the speed limit coming around a blind turn and one of these die hards was riding. The car behind me rear ended me when I stopped and then hit the bike. No one was hurt fortunately, but the cyclist was also wearing ear buds so never heard it coming..... use common sense guys with bikes. You may have the technical law on your side, but no one supersedes the laws of physics.

Quick Reply: fishtail?