S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Following the money with Audi Care

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Hard to believe, but true - the sale of the Audi Care agreement is not a profit maker for the dealer - the service costs that Audi reimburses to them under the agreement is. That's the hook for the dealer - not the agreement itself.

BTW, you don't have to be what you characterize as a "yuppie" to not be inclined to doing your own service on your car. I'm far from from being one of those and have a reasonable amount of knowledge about cars but have other things I usually prefer to do with my time (I do my own detailing though). I typically don't do my own plumbing and electrical work in my house either. I would bet most Audi owners rely on pros to maintain and repair their cars. And electricians for their house. Not all non-self-servicers can be yuppies.

My rule of thumb on Audi Care:

- If you do your own servicing, it's probably not a good deal.
- If you use an good indy shop, it will be roughly a break-even cost-wise.
- If you use the dealer, it's definitely a good deal that is less expensive than what they charge for the covered service intervals (about 30% savings on average as I recall). I prefer to use the dealer rather than my indy shop when the car is under warranty as a one stop shop and to avoid any possible finger pointing if something goes wrong. After the warranty, I switch over to my indy for just about all repairs and maintenance.
Haha. I hear ya. When I was growing up I always associated the drivers of BMW, Mercedes, and Audi as rich yuppy types probably because that's what my parents were probably saying.

I didn't realize that they weren't making money because it seems inflated by at least 50% when you consider it's really only oil changes and tire rotations with a bunch of other "crap" inspections sprinkled about. Anyway thanks for the info. My SA asked me today if I was going to do the 15k service and of course I said "No ma'am, I'll do it myself." When else am I going to use the DeWalt Electric Impact Wrench I got on my wedding anniversary?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure what the 45K entails on an S4; if plugs and a full tune are included, figure at the dealer about $450. If not, about $280 or so. Ridiculous, I know, but it is what it is and it's what all the dealers charge.
Very interesting. What do you guys figure the total retail value of the 15K/25K/35K services are?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The Audi Care web page states an S4 owner would save about 28%. Based on my math at the time, I saved about 30% on my four 2009 A4 3.2 services over the 4 years based on what my dealer was charging total for each. All depends on what your dealer charges - ask them and assume over 4 tears that prices will go up some.

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...audi_care.html
Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
You can look at it that way. Or you can look at it as if you got something for free if they threw it in w/ the purchase. As long as you're satisfied with the 'out the door price' it's Saul Goodman.

I get those 'coupons' too. They're a joke at best and an insult at worst. If you added up all the services (15/25/35/45) with/without coupons and balanced that against the cost of AC, you're saving $300-$600 depending on your dealer's labor rate. If you have a DSG car it's even more because that individual service is very expensive!

Ultimately, it's up to you. Me, I get my meat hooks dirty and do all the tune ups/fluid changes/nods myself @ a local DIY shop, so I didn't get AC.
Better call Saul !!