S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Former Evo owner, now S4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interior of MR feels like a Honda Civic compared to the S4. Only time i got to push the S4 hard was on test drives on other dealer cars, not mine since i'm still breaking it in.

Stock for stock, i'd say the S4 is more powerful. However, Evo is about 400 lbs lighter and the Evo has a more advanced AWD system compared to Audi. Also, Evo is easier and a LOT cheaper to modify for more power.

Only problem with the MR is that the Getrag dual clutch tranny can only handle 320 lbs/torque at the wheels. The clutch discs will slip beyond these torque levels My old MR which was bone stock only ECU tuned to: 313 lbs/torque, 290 WHP. Aftermarket clutch discs are available to handle 500HP, but its a lot of labor hours to install them into the Getrag dual clutch tranny.

So, if you're looking to make some big power on an Evo, get a GSR with the 5 speed manual.

Dyno below of my Old Evo X MR-Touring with bone stock parts, ECU reflash which i gained :
+51 lbs/torque
+36whp

Bone stock baseline run

After ECU reflash:

Just for comparison's sake, i think S4's supercharger is at 11PSI. My Evo was running around 24 PSI on 91 octane...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info.Yes the EVO is a great car for tuners! So then overall, you don't think the Audi is a readheaded step child next to the EVO, that's good to hear. I need to get the SD me thinks.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, had a chance to have some fun with the car in the local canyons on Mulholland Drive. Same place place Tanner Foust drove his Scion Drift car on public roads all over Youtube.

So, impressions i have S4 Vs Evo MR-Touring:

First, S4 only has 150 miles on it and i tried not to push it passed 5500 RPM since i'm still breaking it in

S4 (4000 lbs )is heavier/bigger than Evo (3700 lbs) and is very noticeable. Lots more body roll on S4. Evo X gained a lot of weight compared to prior generation car.

S4 seats are much wider than the Evo's Recaro's seats which seem to be desinged for really skinny japanese people. So, Evo's seats are a lot more supportative.

WIth S4 in Dynamic mode/auto, tranny seems lazy and late in anticipating when to shift when braking/turning/elevation changes. Evo's transmission ECU seems to be more dynamic and responsive. In manual shift mode, Evo shifts faster.

Evo's tranny seems to shift a lot faster. However, Evo's dual clutch shifts kind of rough and abruptly. Makes S4 tranny feel like butter when shifting. Guess the S4's dual clutch programming is slipping the clutches more than the Evo.

On tight/fast turns, Evo rotates easier due to its active yaw control and active center differentials. Evo's active center diff can be adjusted in 3 modes as well (tarmac, gravel, snow) S4 understeers much more.

Power on the straights. Love the S4's instant torque at any RPM due to the supercharger and i'm assuming much flatter torque curve. WHen i had the Evo i didn't notice the turbo lag much since i was used to it. Now after driving the S4 i can more easily notice the turbo lag in the Evo.

Conclusion, if i wanted a car to beat up on the track/canyons and didn't care for the family/wife i'd choose the Evo. However, wife doesn't approve of Evo, so S4 seems like a great replacement.

Yes i said a lot of things above which i feel the Evo is better than the S4. Don't get me wrong, i love my S4, but for a "driver's car" i think Evo is way to go.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for you impressions. They support my assumptions. I need to decide tomorrow if I want a 2010 EVO @ 0% financing. Do you have any pics of your EVO?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure, you can look here. Don't have too many detailed photos though.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1050885220

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...er123/Evo%20X/

video of my auto-xing. Driving with tranny full auto mode, no paddles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExYnx1Ay-iA
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, custom dyno tunes will probably be half of tuning an Audi. Around $600 for tune on the dyno with 2 fuel maps loaded into the ECU. For example, you can make one map for 93 octane pump gas, another for C16 or E85 or whatever race gas is available to you.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah

Stock for stock, i'd say the S4 is more powerful. However, Evo is about 400 lbs lighter and the Evo has a more advanced AWD system compared to Audi.
Really?! Based on what? I always thought Audi made the most advanced all-wheel drive systems.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

er, correction the MR can only do 1 fuel map right now and the GSR 5 speed can support dual fuel maps. Dual fuel maps for the MR should be available within a few months.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clochner
Really?! Based on what? I always thought Audi made the most advanced all-wheel drive systems.
I remember reading this in some of the major car magazines. Here's a description of the Evo's AWD system i just found on google:
http://autoandracingnews.wordpress.c...-evolution-mr/

Supercar Performance from Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC)

Mitsubishi’s Lancer Evolution has always been known for its exceptional handling prowess. But the advanced electronic driver aids on the current generation vehicle – especially the company’s superb Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) system – have taken the Evolution’s road hugging maneuverability to an astonishingly high level.

Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) is not one specific device but a network of technologically-advanced dynamic systems that constantly communicate with each other to provide optimized tractability. These include Active Stability Control (ASC), an Active Center Differential (ACD), an Active Yaw Control (AYC) rear differential, and Sport ABS brakes. Working in concert, Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) modulates torque delivery to each wheel in real-time for maximum control.

The Active Stability Control (ASC) includes the vehicle’s traction control and stability control systems and helps to regulate brake force and engine power distribution at each individual wheel.

The Active Center Differential (ACD) uses an electronically-controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch to split engine torque (up to 50:50) between the front and rear wheels. This routing of engine power between the front and rear of the vehicle is determined by data collected from a variety of sensors including individual wheel speeds, throttle opening, steering wheel angle, and the vehicle’s lateral and longitudinal positioning.

Acting in a similar fashion to a conventional limited-slip differential, the Active Yaw Control (AYC) rear differential utilizes a planetary gear differential, yaw rate sensor and brake force control via the Active Stability Control (ASC) system to control rear wheel torque for improved traction and stability in slippery road conditions and high-speed cornering.

And thanks to advanced brake pressure and yaw rate sensors, the Sport Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) helps the driver to maintain better steering control on slippery surfaces or under very heavy braking.

Quick Reply: Former Evo owner, now S4 owner