S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Fuel tank/gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I filled up today and the pump read 17.11 Gallons
I didn't realize I was that low!
This is incredible!
How much did you drive past the 0 miles-to-empty indicator?.
You must have topped it quite a bit!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by forza1976
huh? that's quite a statement, any data or real world examples to prove that?
Well no, no real data to back up. I must admit it's just a theory I have base on a story in the AJC about someone stealing diesel from service pump and wasn't showing up on neither the clerk or the pump screen. Also, I know some people who got rip off from service stations that the pumps wasn't totally accurate. The station had to give back refunds and pay fines! Dept. of Agriculture don't admit this to public, but we actually lose or gain pints or more due to computing errors.. I guess I should say we dont pay for exactly what we get.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vbhightech
Well no, no real data to back up. I must admit it's just a theory I have base on a story in the AJC about someone stealing diesel from service pump and wasn't showing up on neither the clerk or the pump screen. Also, I know some people who got rip off from service stations that the pumps wasn't totally accurate. The station had to give back refunds and pay fines! Dept. of Agriculture don't admit this to public, but we actually lose or gain pints or more due to computing errors.. I guess I should say we dont pay for exactly what we get.
I think that the number of service stations which screw with their metering of fuel are few and far between. I'm sure it happens and I'm sure some of them get away with it for years without being caught, but it's probably exceedingly rare.

What I have heard of is that in order to make up money, they can easily pump fuel from the 87 octane tank to the 91 or 93 tank and take the difference in profit. The state typically only inspects stations once a year and is probably relatively predictable so it's probably easy to get away with this. Again, most stations probably don't engage in shady tactics, but if you get poor performance from a few fillups at a certain location, best to avoid them in the future.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AgisA
This is incredible!
How much did you drive past the 0 miles-to-empty indicator?.
You must have topped it quite a bit!
I should have been paying more attention, but my focus was on the new HFC & exhaust as well as if there was any change in MPGs. I can't tell, cause there was a lot of highway driving over the weekend.

I just know that this is the most I've ever gone after the light, as usually if I make a trip to work and back I'll have to put in 16.2-16.5 Gals.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another fuel gauge related question...........does anyone else experience a quicker drop from Full to 3/4 and then a slower drop from there and if so, is this normal? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fuel gauges (across many manufacturers) are notoriously inaccurate from one quarter to the next - I wouldn't be concerned.

http://autos.aol.com/article/gas-gauge/
Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IvanS4
Fuel gauges (across many manufacturers) are notoriously inaccurate from one quarter to the next - I wouldn't be concerned.

http://autos.aol.com/article/gas-gauge/
So true. The gauge in my GMC is horrible, fuel light came on when I was supposed be on reserve (~3 gal), ended up running another 150 miles on that empty tank till I ran out of diesel.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Goony
Another fuel gauge related question...........does anyone else experience a quicker drop from Full to 3/4 and then a slower drop from there and if so, is this normal? Thanks.
Yes!!! I don't know why but this bothers me more than any other little issue I have with the car. I'll get about 45-50mi the 1/4 and then 60-65mi each of the remaining 3/4.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did a DIY scientific test today since my gas gauge dropped from full to approx 5/8 in a bit over two days......and not a lot of miles. I tanked up again and barely put 4 gallons in to fill it (which is a bit less than 1/4 tank). I'm due for the 5K oil change in a few weeks and will add this to the warranty checklist; along with the startup buzz, and my Alu Kreuz install.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: Dealer checked for codes and didn't find anything; though they referred the issue to the regional tech. According to the SA, there have been instances of this on other S4's but there are usually stored codes indicating bad sending units in the tank......which then get replaced. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank/gauge question