S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

General question from a possible 1st time Audi owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General question from a possible 1st time Audi owner

I test drove a 2015 S4 today and really loved the experience. It is white, manual shift, premium plus. Also has the tech package. It only has 19k miles, and 33 months or its original warranty left.

My first question...It's being offered through a local For dealer, and they are asking $43k. My first question, is this a good price? KBB says the fair value is $39k-$44k. I was going to try to see if I could get it down to $40k, but it's probably unlikely.

My second question, which is more of a general hesitation. My mechanic, who I trust and have been using for the last 10 years, told me to never buy an Audi. He said they are the most over engineered cars, and that when anything goes wrong, no matter how little, it turns into a huge, expensive project. I've never owned a German before, and am trying to understand what I might be getting in to. I will definitely get a pre-purchase inspection from a 3rd party done on the car before buying it. Am I falling into a money trap? Should I buy an extended warranty from the dealer?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you should fire your mechanic.

Originally Posted by hominamad
I test drove a 2015 S4 today and really loved the experience. It is white, manual shift, premium plus. Also has the tech package. It only has 19k miles, and 33 months or its original warranty left.

My first question...It's being offered through a local For dealer, and they are asking $43k. My first question, is this a good price? KBB says the fair value is $39k-$44k. I was going to try to see if I could get it down to $40k, but it's probably unlikely.

My second question, which is more of a general hesitation. My mechanic, who I trust and have been using for the last 10 years, told me to never buy an Audi. He said they are the most over engineered cars, and that when anything goes wrong, no matter how little, it turns into a huge, expensive project. I've never owned a German before, and am trying to understand what I might be getting in to. I will definitely get a pre-purchase inspection from a 3rd party done on the car before buying it. Am I falling into a money trap? Should I buy an extended warranty from the dealer?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned BMWs. Lexus and am now on my 6th Audi. The reliability of the B8 S4 has been VERY good. Unfortunately, not every mechanic has the training to work on them because they can be different and there are many things that require a vag com diagnostic to repair. I have a great local mechanic, but he as much admitted to me that he doesn't really want to work on my Audi due to the special knowledge and tools required for some repairs. But there are many independent garages that specialize in German car repair that are cheaper than the dealer. Don't buy an extended warranty until you are close to the end of your factory warranty. You never know what can happen. Can't tell you what a used 2015 S4 should cost, but there is really no difference between a 2015 and a 2016 model. Offer $40k and see what happens. FYI , there are less than 40 New 2016 Audi S4s out there with a MT. And they are NOT making any more. So if you like the car, grab it and don't haggle over $1k.

Last edited by DrGP; 01-13-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hominamad

Thanks!
I think owning a German is illegal...
Old 01-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slasher016
I think owning a German is illegal...
Maybe not in every country?