S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

getting lots of attention and compliments from strangers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting lots of attention and compliments from strangers

For the price of a well equipped 335i, this car certainly gets a lot of onlookers and unprovoked compliments. I was at a restaurant in Del Mar, CA the other night that is valet only. They parked my car right in front of the door, and on the way out the valet said "really, really nice car man!" He parks $100k cars all day.

Happened again last night also. I think the dark tinted windows on black with the aluminum accents and large spoke wheels really sets off the look of the car, like a batmobile or a limousine. Then when they see the red and carbon fiber upon opening a door, it just oozes style.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I've had all sorts of attention... not exactly what I expected. Even had a guy in a Z4 vert give me a thumbs up the other day.

I think this car is a home run for Audi..
Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
For the price of a well equipped 335i, this car certainly gets a lot of onlookers and unprovoked compliments. I was at a restaurant in Del Mar, CA the other night that is valet only. They parked my car right in front of the door, and on the way out the valet said "really, really nice car man!" He parks $100k cars all day.

Happened again last night also. I think the dark tinted windows on black with the aluminum accents and large spoke wheels really sets off the look of the car, like a batmobile or a limousine. Then when they see the red and carbon fiber upon opening a door, it just oozes style.
Agree. Went out to El Gaucho last night for our anniversary dinner. Spent a few hours over a nice long dinner with the wife to come back outside and the valet had left my S4 upfront instead of putting it in the garage - they have space for 3 cars to be left out in front and apparently they were suitably impressed enough to let it be one of the attention getting rides for the evening
Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right. But I have a problem. I would never valet my car. I have heard too many horror stories to take a chance.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
You're right. But I have a problem. I would never valet my car. I have heard too many horror stories to take a chance.
I'm careful where I do this, not to worry
Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrGP
Same here!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have gotten tons of attention on my car as well which I think is really strange. I don't really like it as one of the reasons I love this car so much is that its subtle understated and a bit of a sleeper. It is not all that different than the current model A4. Do A4s turn that many heads? I don't think so unless you are and audi lover. I usually have to explain to people what the car is, most don't even know so its not like these are "car people" who know a lot.

I guess the writing was on the wall when I went to the gas station for my first fill 5000 miles ago and the gas station attendant and I were talking about the car for 15 minutes
Old 05-23-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got compliments back in 2007 when I got my e92 335 when e92's were still rare and just came out. My S4 however is getting ridiculous looks because you just don't see it as often. I have officially seen 2 other S4 in the last 5 months and only 1 since the the day I got mine a month ago.

I was going out my garage door in the city and let some pedestrians go by and as he looked at my car, he gave me that rad hand sign and nodded. I walk out of a restaurant and I a couple looking inside my car (leaving smudges which pissed me off), but they loved the car so much. On the road you see lots of heads turn and I believe it's because of the LED DRL's. Audi makes the sexiest headlights on the market today! I turn my head more often for an A3 compared to a 3 series because the LED's simply draw my eyes.

Good thing Audi hired an Italian designer to design the S5 and it has transcended down to the entire lineup.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do about the leaners...(long, rambling Sunday night post)

Originally Posted by pharmersteve
I have gotten tons of attention on my car as well which I think is really strange.
I think it's quite strange too! As I've said before, I'm amazed by the wide variety of folks - from all walks of life - who choose to comment on the car's appearance, want to drive or be taken for a drive in the car, etc. They also have questions: What's it like to drive? How fast is it? What's the gas mileage? How much is it? Or my all-time favorite question: Do I like it? LOL

But, what I found really amazing was all the leaners: the countless number of people who want to lean against the car and talk to me through the front passenger window. They'll typically rest their hands on the window sill; leaving finger prints and other splotches. They'll talk about all sorts of things. It really doesn't seem to matter. Some will actually lean inside the car - bracing their elbows on the sill! E gads!!! But, the worst situation is when they're sweating from being at the gym or working outside on a hot day. At this point, I'll typically say something snarky like, "Hey, you're sweating on my car!" Sometimes they'll take a step back. Sometimes not. Regardless, I think the reason they lean is because they want to be connected to the car somehow and perhaps - more importantly - want to be *seen* connecting to the car! What's up with that? LOL

Last edited by drrick89; 05-23-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I saw someone on W. Broadway today in downtown San Diego when I was out for a run. He had a meteor grey (maybe) S4 and I gave him a thumbs up and a gesture that I have that car too (which he probably didn't understand).

I think it was an S4. He had my 19" wheels, but I think he had some other badge where the V6T goes. Do they make an A4-S-line with the 5 spoke 19s?

Quick Reply: getting lots of attention and compliments from strangers