S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

GIAC B8 S4 91 tune 1/4 mile data - HWUT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
So you're not disappointed that GIAC advertised the 91 tune + catback (meaningless) + intake (nominal gains) at 400+ whp? Ethically, I find that a bit disappointing. They led with the dyno, and provided zero performance for the 91 file to back it up...and instead showed what the race fuel tune can do at Sacramento Raceway Park, 400 miles from where 1fastgiacsalesman lives, because it's known as a quick track (sea level, great DA).

That's a bit odd. Now we know why they didn't show any actual performance testing for the 91 file.

The 91 file marketing was basically directed at the California market where 91 is all they can get. Much of the west is limited and can't run the 93 file. So, the 91 file was held up as this worldbeating 400+whp monster...when we now know have some performance that shows otherwise.
I mean... I'm not surprised that any tuner shows the absolute best conditions, absolute best test cases, absolute best numbers they can prove. I picked GIAC because at the time, it seemed to be showing better numbers than APR. After getting tuned, I love the extra power so I can't complain. I've never bought or used 91 octane on my car so I have no comment on that file.

Anyway, I signed up for some track time at Lime Rock this summer... can't wait!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned

no offense my man...but this is the GIAC 91 thread lol.

I'm sure the 93 tune is excellent. I'm sure the 91 tune is excellent for a 91 tune, frankly. I just think the disconnect between the 91 file's performance in the real world...vs. the 400+ whp dyno sheet that everyone went bonkers over, is kind of funny.

Notice that the guy asking this question drives an RS4 of all ****ing things? Why is that? Why aren't the B8 guys saying 'hey GIAC...WTF?'

Anyway, get your car out to the strip with that 93 file on, as well as the road course. We have seen so few GIAC times. audirevolution.net is compiling a master quarter mile list for all platforms (b5/6/7/8 S4/RS4 etc.) and one thing they noticed was that there are hardly any GIAC B8 times.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have just had the GIAC 93 file for about two weeks. I don't race so I cannot give anyone a true before and after however I will say that the transformation is quite significant.
The stock tuning seemed to taper off at higher rpms pretty significantly. The GIAC tuning allows a real rush to 7K. I in fact tripped into the rev limiter a few times before I learned the new power curve. I do notice an improvement in torque around 3K with a real surge from around 3500 up to 7K.

Count me fully satisfied!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ninjajack
I have just had the GIAC 93 file for about two weeks. I don't race so I cannot give anyone a true before and after however I will say that the transformation is quite significant.
The stock tuning seemed to taper off at higher rpms pretty significantly. The GIAC tuning allows a real rush to 7K. I in fact tripped into the rev limiter a few times before I learned the new power curve. I do notice an improvement in torque around 3K with a real surge from around 3500 up to 7K.

Count me fully satisfied!

Ditto here...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sakimano, did you happen to read the current issue of European Car? There is an article on a 2011 S4 with a GIAC 91 tune and the AWE exhaust with downpipes as well as an AWE S-flow intake.This is how I will be set up when my AWE exhaust arrives. According to this article with this set up and the GIAC 91 tune my car at all four wheels will be showing 386 HP and 337 lb-ft which is a gain of 76 hp and 32 lb-ft. The stock car is 333 hp therefore with this set up I will be at 409 hp and 357 lb-ft of torque.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

that magazine is too expensive lol

but no I haven't read it.

Is that wheel hp or crank? I think the numbers sound weird. I think the car makes more like 350-360 crank hp (and torque) STOCK...so I don't know.

dynos are just weird...i mean GIAC's dyno showed us 402 whp (maybe 460 crank hp?) with just the 91 tune (and someone said it also had intake and exhaust).

I'm a bit more performance focused...timed acceleration data is far more valuable.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no offense my man...but this is the GIAC 91 thread lol....Notice that the guy asking this question drives an RS4 of all ****ing things? Why is that? Why aren't the B8 guys saying 'hey GIAC...WTF?'...
You know, Sak, you seem unnaturally interested in proving that 91 tunes (GIAC or otherwise) don't provide an adequate performance boost. The thing is that nobody who has the tune(s) seems to care very much. They all report a significant difference in power delivery and top-end poke, and their feelings have been backed up with dyno runs and 1/4 mile times. Argue all you want about marketing claims (which are just claims after all, presumably sent under perfect conditions) - the proof is in the measured performance. No stock DSG car has run 12.7xxx @ 109+ like I have, so what else is there to prove?

Just sayin'....
Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Banned

Z I guess you're taking this personally, since you're 91 stasis tuned. Not sure you really should.

I'm not unnaturally interested. I'm just really hoping for an explanation from Giac on this issue.

On Audirevolution I started a thread suggesting that with TD1, I really don't think I'd get 91 tuned if I lived in an area that has 93 octane, and that I'd like to see a race between a 91 tuned car (any tune) vs a stock car on 93. That was to identify the delta to then see if its worth a voided warranty. This thread was started to discuss some potentially shady marketing. Not sure how they're at all related?

If you really want to talk about your 12.7 I'd be happy to. Same goes for the 91 guys and not really caring. When there's a dealer offering free stasis 91 tunes with new 2012 stock S4s...and when we know that will earn you a TD1 flag...I think it would be interesting to identify the true delta a 91 file offers (besides the delta of full warranty vs. Voided powertrain warranty)

Make your same post (above) in the audirevolution thread and I'll address it there.

Last edited by sakimano; 04-20-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Z I guess you're taking this personally, ...I'm not unnaturally interested. I'm just really hoping for an explanation from Giac on this issue....
Nah, not taking it personally - I just don't understand your seeming obsession with the topic.

It would be like me constantly pointing out that RS4s seem never to dyno anywhere close to their rated HP. I don't have one, so it isn't anything I worry/think about. RS4 owners can decide whether Audi's marketing was unrealistic, and I have no reason to add to that discussion.

As for hoping for an explanation from GIAC, good luck on that.

It's pretty clear to me that the reason no tuners (except ironically STaSIS in the case of 0-60 times) claim before and after measured acceleration performance improvement is that the gains wouldn't sound impressive.

It's much flashier to advertise 50-100 HP gains (remember MTM's 430HP claim for their "Cantronic" piggyback?) than it it to claim a 2-3 tenths improvement in 1/4 mile time...
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Banned

'Obsession'???

I started one thread about Giac advertising 404 whp for a 91 tune, and one thread asking to see the delta between stock and 91.

That's hardly obsessive.

P.S. My rs4 (stock) ran 12.75. Kinda like your tuned car. Let's obsess over that instead of dyno numbers.

Quick Reply: GIAC B8 S4 91 tune 1/4 mile data - HWUT?