S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

guys i need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will tomorrow when i go over there again. This is coming from the website since another condo is for sale over there. I will take a better pic so you can see the actual slope.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lax854
[url]...it would be a pain in the butt to do constantly...
You should be able to just leave it down and not have to remove it. Maybe use some strong double sided tape so it doesn't slide around. You can get it in lots of colors so it doesn't look like your grandmother's screened in porch. If I understand your situation, you should be able to put it right inside the garage door (where the driveway levels off to flat) so it should not have any effect on the outside appearance.

Of course, you could always just install one of these in the S4:
Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MattPec
You should be able to just leave it down and not have to remove it. Maybe use some strong double sided tape so it doesn't slide around. You can get it in lots of colors so it doesn't look like your grandmother's screened in porch. If I understand your situation, you should be able to put it right inside the garage door (where the driveway levels off to flat) so it should not have any effect on the outside appearance.

Of course, you could always just install one of these in the S4:
no matt, to tell you the truth, i couldnt even get all the way down! my car started to scrape on the top portion just as the sidewalk turns into the driveway! i couldnt go any further without scraping up the whole under body. I dont know whats going to happen if i make it to the bottom!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ahhh, so the problem is more about the lenght of the wheelbase than it is about the height of the car. A car with a shorter wheelbase would get the back wheels to the edge before the middle started to scrape.

Here's what I think is happening. Your wheelbase (A) is long. So when you start down the driveway, you hit the point where you've decended an amount below sidewalk level that is equal to your ride height (B), but that point (C) is less than the distance of your wheelbase, and hence you scrape somewhere in between the front and back wheels. I, and I suspect everyone else, was thiking your nose was scraping at the bottom. I think you can solve this by using something similar in concept to the curb bridge linked earlier. You basically need to raise your front wheels a little before they hit point "C" and keep them slightly raised until your back wheel gets closer to the top of the driveway. And whatever you use must be low enough so that you don't have trouble clearing that, too, or hit it with the rear end as you get toward the bottom. See 3rd grade drawing below:
Attached Images  

Last edited by MattPec; 05-02-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MattPec
Ahhh, so the problem is more about the lenght of the wheelbase than it is about the height of the car. A car with a shorter wheelbase would get the back wheels to the edge before the middle started to scrape.

Here's what I think is happening. Your wheelbase (A) is long. So when you start down the driveway, you hit the point where you've decended an amount below sidewalk level that is equal to your ride height (B), but that point (C) is less than the distance of your wheelbase, and hence you scrape somewhere in between the front and back wheels. I, and I suspect everyone else, was thiking your nose was scraping at the bottom. I think you can solve this by using something similar in concept to the curb bridge linked earlier. You basically need to raise your front wheels a little before they hit point "C" and keep them slightly raised until your back wheel gets closer to the top of the driveway. And whatever you use must be low enough so that you don't have trouble clearing that, too, or hit it with the rear end as you get toward the bottom. See 3rd grade drawing below:
looks good in diagrams, problem is, i did scratch up my entire front bumper on the buttom portion where the paint is. So not sure whats going on with the driveway. You may have a good point about the curb bridge though. i will post more pictures today and tell me what you think!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you own the place or is it a rental?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Do you own the place or is it a rental?
i own the place. Its a really nice complex, this one thing is really killing me though. I dont know if anything can be done to fix this driveway though. Im going to post pics in acouple of hours
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

There is nothing you can really do after the purchase unless there are many of you who have the same issue and can go in as a group to request it be fixed.

I seriously doubt that much can be done but it will take a civil engineer to look at the street and the garage and city codes to see if there can be some redesign that will work. I suspect you have a drain by the garage door to handle the rain water to prevent it from entering the garage, - from the picture I saw you may be able to put a new lower curb in and a new ramp that might meet your needs (but that might cause the street water to divert into your ramp and garage). The shortness of the ramp is what makes it difficult.
Paying a engineer to look at it may be worth it
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
There is nothing you can really do after the purchase unless there are many of you who have the same issue and can go in as a group to request it be fixed.

I seriously doubt that much can be done but it will take a civil engineer to look at the street and the garage and city codes to see if there can be some redesign that will work. I suspect you have a drain by the garage door to handle the rain water to prevent it from entering the garage, - from the picture I saw you may be able to put a new lower curb in and a new ramp that might meet your needs (but that might cause the street water to divert into your ramp and garage). The shortness of the ramp is what makes it difficult.
Paying a engineer to look at it may be worth it
reggie i believe you hit it right on. The driveway is too short to not have that steep incline and the drain for the water is at the bottom. At this point, it looks like im just going to have to keep it on the street. Its better then damaging the bottom everytime i go into and out of the garage. Really sucks!