S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Had to lease a 335ix over an S4

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to lease a 335ix over an S4

I had initially favored the S4, mostly because it "felt" quicker and I wanted this lease to be as fun as possible

With BMW's new chip upgrade on the 335i xDrive, they both are equal at 13.0 in the quarter mile and 4.4 in the 0-60

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_03.html

Oddly enough those two cars in the options I wanted both ended up at $60,000 MSRP. I thought for sure I would get the S4 and it's the same price but just more my flavor.

However, as I went over in my last thread, Audi's lease programs are just awful compared to BMW, especially with those like me who have no interest in keeping the car after the lease or going through the giant hassle of selling it.

Here are offers I had for the models, confirmed by several Audi and BMW dealerships:

Audi S4 $60,000 MSRP: $56,400 price after ACNA discount
.00068 MF
55% residual
7% tax
=
$27,500 for 3 years of lease + registration/lease fees

BMW 335i xDrive $60,000 MSRP: $53,000 after combining incentives
.00078 MF
62% residual
7% tax
=
$19,500 for 3 years of lease + registration/lease fees

An S4 is over 40% more...a whopping $8000 more for another German luxury sport sedan with a $60k MSRP

So I picked a color I loved for the 335i xDrive, and I'm saving so much money I'm quite happy with my choice

I still can't believe I get to drive a $60,000 German luxury sports sedan brand new for 3 years under $20k!

With all the money I'm saving, I can afford an S6 in three years!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think Audi should have given you another $1,000 off for loyalty on top of ACNA, but that would certainly not bridge the gap. Are both cars same model year? Only reason I could see anything close to that difference would be if S4 was a '14 and the BMW was a '13. That seems like a pretty healthy discount for a BMW.

With respect to the S6... Just don't lease it!

Enjoy!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Draxinum
I still can't believe I get to drive a $60,000 German luxury sports sedan brand new for 3 years under $20k!
Whatever makes you happy.........and no need to apologize. You'll make some of that up replacing the RFT's before lease end.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you like the BMW. Had an E92 335i. Really liked it. If I had a choice between the 335i and a B8 S4(and I do) Wound't take the 335i . Taking delivery of my second B8 s4 in 2-3 weeks. Never bothered even to look at the newest BMW.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Draxinum

However, as I went over in my last thread, Audi's lease programs are just awful compared to BMW, especially with those like me who have no interest in keeping the car after the lease or going through the giant hassle of selling it.
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a lease but then decided not to, just because of the additional 3-5k i would pay over buying one.

The other thing you would need to remember about the Audi S4 is that POTENTIALLY, you could buyout your car and then trade it in - with the hopes of getting (+) equity on it. Meanwhile, the chances of getting (+) equity after the 335i lease are slim to none.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the fact you can get $7000 off a 335 let's you know what the market is like. 335s are everywhere and BMW has a lot of cars to move. S4s are tougher to find.

Many audi lease customers are making money on the back end of their cars. The residuals are conservative, indeed. But the chances are your Audi will be worth more than the residual. So you have more options to make money on the Audi.

The BMW won't be worth 62% in 3 years. BMW subsidizes their leases with inflated residuals and has for years.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
Well, the fact you can get $7000 off a 335 let's you know what the market is like. 335s are everywhere and BMW has a lot of cars to move. S4s are tougher to find.

Many audi lease customers are making money on the back end of their cars. The residuals are conservative, indeed. But the chances are your Audi will be worth more than the residual. So you have more options to make money on the Audi.

The BMW won't be worth 62% in 3 years. BMW subsidizes their leases with inflated residuals and has for years.
Like a huge number of people leasing their cars, I don't care what the actual market value of the car is when I turn it in

I'm either just dropping it off and getting another car, or I'll use their loyalty program and get another new BMW

That's kind of the point of a lease...it's not to build equity or make money selling the car afterwards...

I understand your basic point, and I tried to care because at first I wanted the S4. But really, $8000 for the same sticker price? And it's not like the S4 is some vastly superior car, they trade wins in comparisons (the most recent win going to the 335i xDrive)
Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I hope you like the BMW. Had an E92 335i. Really liked it. If I had a choice between the 335i and a B8 S4(and I do) Wound't take the 335i . Taking delivery of my second B8 s4 in 2-3 weeks. Never bothered even to look at the newest BMW.
Now that's what I call Audi loyalty!!! Just like me, I didn't even look at other options...the S4 is what I wanted for over 10 years and I love it every day!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks

This. I'll gladly take the greater car for a few more bucks now. Then when I go to trade it in on my next Audi lease, I'll already have a downpayment plus maybe some extra bucks on top of that (assuming all goes well).

I also didn't even look at the BMWs when I went to get my S4. I had a 2010 A4, I knew I wanted an Audi, and it was just a matter of which dealer would meet the price I needed. I just can't seem to enjoy sitting in a BMW after having been in Audi interiors for a few years now. Also, I was sick of having turbos and lag. You just can't beat the supercharger's powerband, especially with the stronic tranny.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure if you saw my earlier comment... Are these cars the same model year? Also they were both exactly $60K?

Quick Reply: Had to lease a 335ix over an S4