S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Handling/Cornering S4 vs. M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
I'll challenge the statement.

Per wikipedia, the E46 M3 skid-pad is 0.89g.
Per Road and Track, the B8 S4 skid-pad is 0.96g.
As has been covered ad nauseum on the forums - you cannot place empirical numbers on the "butt dyno."
Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I didn't think he'd appreciate it if I discussed his wife's butt
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yup, we got the sport differential

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Perhaps she needs to learn how to drive an AWD car.... tell her to hammer down into the corners... the sport diff will do the rest.

(Just saying, AWD vs RWD is different... trust the AWD a bit more)

Oh.. and assuming you got the sport diff... you got the sport diff, right? I mean, prior M3 owners and all..
We specified that sport diff because of the M3 experience she had.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably has to do with the roll rate of the car. The M3's tighter damping on a lighter car is going to give you a lower roll rate than the heavier S4 with the more compliant damping. That can tend to make a car feel less in control even if there is more grip
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I think she may be talking about the steering feel. The M3 does feel more connected to the road, however it doesn't means it handles better. The only thing that I would criticize on the s4 is the steering feel at higher speeds (120km+). in all other areas it kicks the e46 m3's butt sooo bad.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

probably just not used to the feel of an AWD car vs. RWD...then add that an M3 is well...an M3 and there you have it...the S4 is a 335i killer not an M3 killer.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Probably has to do with the roll rate of the car. The M3's tighter damping on a lighter car is going to give you a lower roll rate than the heavier S4 with the more compliant damping. That can tend to make a car feel less in control even if there is more grip
That's true as well... the S4 tends to roll/lean a bit at least with my stock suspension. (I have the sport diff, but not the full ADS). Slap a set of sways on the car, and that would tighten things up.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
I am not a troll, only an enthusiast. I have been around these forums for a long time though. I have never driven a E46 M3. I have driven a E39 M5 though. I only know that this car corners pretty well in all weather conditions. If she likes her E46 M3 better, than let her stick to it, I do not care.

Bruce
Considering how much you don't care you sure seem to enjoy calling people out with your opinion.

OP I agree with a number of comments here, driving style is very different. The S4 with the sport diff seemed to respond very well to lavish helpings of throttle through a corner. I only test drove the B8 S4 though, the owners here will have more tips from longer term use.

I think that your wife, and presumably you drove her E46 M3 also, are probably in a better position to evaluate the situation than the rest of us once you get a similar level of comfort on how each car behaves.

Cheers
Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
That's true as well... the S4 tends to roll/lean a bit at least with my stock suspension. (I have the sport diff, but not the full ADS). Slap a set of sways on the car, and that would tighten things up.
You wouldn't even necessarily need sways, as that would have the side effect of possibly reducing overall grip or inducing more oversteer or understeer. A set of adjustable dampers with better valving would probably work wonders, especially in the rear.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the helpful comments. They are doing a lot to open her mind to the idea that her sensations in the S4 are just different, not indicative of inferior handling in comparison to her M3.
I can't really judge myself because my Avant was my all time favorite car, and I drove her M3 only rarely. She was very possessive about it, I have to say. I was surprised she was willing to give it up when we sold my Avant and her M3 to buy the S4.

Quick Reply: Handling/Cornering S4 vs. M3