S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Hard Drive Size?....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
Would neither have been hard nor expensive to put in a larger drive. They are incredibly cheap now. You can get terabyte sized hard drives for under $60.
Except for the fact that the system is setup to only know and use 40G most likely. I have heard of people in other cars trying to clone the drive and upsize theirs, only to find out the car won't recognize any larger partition size than what it comes with (very narrow sighted IMO).
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by questionlp
In part, the hard drive used needs to be able to handle the bumps and vibrations and probably have to deal with higher temperatures than ones found in desktops or laptops. I think the drive used by Audi is either a 1.8" or a 2.5" hard drive. My guess is that the next generation MMI will use a higher capacity drive. I'm not saying that it doesn't make Audi cheap, but it's a consideration.
...which is why I mentioned solid state drives in my previous post.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Except for the fact that the system is setup to only know and use 40G most likely. I have heard of people in other cars trying to clone the drive and upsize theirs, only to find out the car won't recognize any larger partition size than what it comes with (very narrow sighted IMO).
Agreed on the narrow sighted. If the system was coded to only recognize a 40GB drive, then it's an absolutely ridiculous move on Audi's part, since even 5 years ago, commonly found drive sizes were significantly larger. I'm surprised you can even buy a 40GB capacity drive anymore.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use a class 10 32gb SDCard for my 20gb music collection. Much easier to copy the music to the card and leave it. Loads quickly, will never "crash", can be updated in the house in seconds, serves as another backup... All for $50. And there is a 2nd SD card slot. I haven't tried, but I guess the potential is there for 64gb in dash! If that doesn't cut it, you can get a bluetooth adapter for the glovebox connector, and stream a compatible device with it's native storage. I think the Audi engineers did a pretty decent job on this one. Don't fret over the measely 10gb HD space.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Everything fits on my iPod and I never even used the SD slots for anything.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use a jailbroken iPhone that was my primary phone before and I can wirelessly sync the music to it when my car is in the garage. I absolutely love being able to do that and I have 32GB of storage. iPod Touches and the new Nanos would work with this too.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I prefer using x2 32GB SD cards since the ipod can't do digital audio and sounds distorted if you really turn up the B&O.

I still want to know if you can get one of the USB AMI cables and plug in an external HD.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafa12
I use a class 10 32gb SDCard for my 20gb music collection. Much easier to copy the music to the card and leave it. Loads quickly, will never "crash", can be updated in the house in seconds, serves as another backup... All for $50. And there is a 2nd SD card slot. I haven't tried, but I guess the potential is there for 64gb in dash! If that doesn't cut it, you can get a bluetooth adapter for the glovebox connector, and stream a compatible device with it's native storage. I think the Audi engineers did a pretty decent job on this one. Don't fret over the measely 10gb HD space.
Could have saved some cash and gotten a low end class 4 card. Class only affects data transfer speeds, so playing right from the card will not benefit from a class 10 over a 4.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Could have saved some cash and gotten a low end class 4 card. Class only affects data transfer speeds, so playing right from the card will not benefit from a class 10 over a 4.
Well, I think your partially right. Song play is unaffected. However, the MMI system queries the card for the folders/ artist/ song information at every startup. That query takes just a few seconds on my class 10 card. I suspect a lower class card might take longer. I know, splitting hairs, but that is why I went with a higher class card. Besides, check Amzn and you'll see the prices are almost the same.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lose Categories with SD Card only

Originally Posted by rktskicar
you could just run a 32G HDSC card.

Bruce
Maybe I haven't figured MMI out completely. But from what I can see you get the Album, Artist, etc. categories with music on the hard drive, but not on SD cards. I copied one for one from a card, and all the cataloging appears in the screen after opening the Jukebox, but not the SD card.

+1 on iPod sound quality. Very noticeable difference in sound quality between iPod output and 192kbps files on an SD card.

Quick Reply: Hard Drive Size?....