S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Hard to remove wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to remove wheels?

Anyone had problems getting their wheels off? I tried to put my winters on myself last year but could not budge the wheel rim. All the bolts came out easily enough, but the wheel was stuck fast to the hub. As I was just on stands at home after jacking the car manually, I didn't want to apply to much force / hammer on the wheels and risk any damage. I took it into the dealer and they swapped them fine and didn't comment on troubles when I picked up the car (and I forgot to ask).

6 months later it's time to swap the summers back on (stock 18 inchers) but I'm worried I'll run into the same problem. Anyone know if it's likely, how to cure it, and whether to ask the dealer to check / fix anything?

Last thing I want to do is get half way through and then be stuck with a partial change, or worse, a car that I cannot the wheel back on to!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's normal. Easiest way to get them off is to kick them with your heel from the inside hitting towards the outside. Couple of good kicks and they'll come right off, but you may want someone with you to catch them or leave a couple of lugs on half threaded so that it catches the wheel when it comes loose.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Note: To preclude this common dissimilar metal corrosion/adhesion in the future coat the mating surfaces (but of course not the rotors) with copper grease.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Note: To preclude this common dissimilar metal corrosion/adhesion in the future coat the mating surfaces (but of course not the rotors) with copper grease.
Anti-seize on the hub area is OK, but be absolutely sure not to put any on the lug bolts, mating areas of bolt and rim, or get any into the threads for them. A number of sources seem to indicate this will reduce (sometimes significantly) the measured torque on your torque wrench.

This might be wives tale, but I wouldn't bet my rims on it.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys ... I'll try and swift kick this time and stick some anti-sieze on the mating surfaces. Odd that this is the first car I've ever had problems like this on, and several others had alloy wheels, guess there's just less clearnace / tighter fit on the S4...

Thanks again...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Indeed, do not coat the lugs. I figured that was obvious to the casual observer, but never hurts to emphasize.

Originally Posted by Pyro451
Anti-seize on the hub area is OK, but be absolutely sure not to put any on the lug bolts, mating areas of bolt and rim, or get any into the threads for them. A number of sources seem to indicate this will reduce (sometimes significantly) the measured torque on your torque wrench.

This might be wives tale, but I wouldn't bet my rims on it.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Banned

just sit on your garage stool holding the wheel with your left hand and give it a good palm strike on the right side of the face of the wheel with the heel of your right hand. You'll be fine.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've used a rubber mallet when that happens - worst case I've had to use a 15lb sledge (don't ever do this under the car, it's very dangerous)

clean the hub rings up with a stainless steel wire brush - one on a drill is quick - and then put a very thin layer of anti-seize on it, think a hair's width, enough that it's there but you can see through it
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StumpJumper
I've used a rubber mallet when that happens - worst case I've had to use a 15lb sledge (don't ever do this under the car, it's very dangerous)

clean the hub rings up with a stainless steel wire brush - one on a drill is quick - and then put a very thin layer of anti-seize on it, think a hair's width, enough that it's there but you can see through it
Had the same problem with a 2001 A6 repeatedly. Got a flat, couldn't get the tire off, broke off two lug bolts and had to call a tow truck to tow me to the shop to get the tire off. I actually put a sledgehammer in the trunk of that car if I ever got another flat, that is all that would work. So far, haven't taken a tire of the S4 (had winter wheels put on by tire guy), so don't know if I'll have the same problem with this car or not. They are a BITCH to get off.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seablues4
Thanks guys ... I'll try and swift kick this time and stick some anti-sieze on the mating surfaces. Odd that this is the first car I've ever had problems like this on, and several others had alloy wheels, guess there's just less clearnace / tighter fit on the S4...

Thanks again...
If you don't have any anti seize some grease works fine too.

If they are stuck, I have used a block of wood and a small sledge hammer. The wood protects the wheel, a couple of whacks on the inside of the rim.

Quick Reply: Hard to remove wheels?