S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Have we reached a consensus on brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any low dust brake pad options when having them replaced at the dealer?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't mean to be a mary but I don't want to do my own pads each time.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Local tuner here in MD wants an hour labor to change all 4 - not too bad from where I sit.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The stock audi pads are about 25% as dusty as a stock BMW 328i. It's really not a big deal if you go to the car wash a couple of times a month. If you aren't, save the money on pads and get a freaking car wash you dirty bastard.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Barry in Utah
There is one wear sensor on the inboard left front pad. The sensor is removable and can then be attached to the replacement pad. Be careful as there is a small spring which holds it in place which can easily be lost when removing the sensor. To disconnect the sensor wire, the connector must be removed from the support bracket. This is done be lifting the tab on the connecter with a small screwdriver and then rotating the connector 90 degrees to allow it to be pulled from the slot in the bracket. Once free it can be disconnected.

By the way, I purchased the rear pads from Tire Rack and the fronts from Hawk Pads Direct. I used two vendors as Hawk Pads Direct had free shipping but no rear pads in stock. The part numbers where:

HB641Z.696 Fronts
HB642Z.658 Rears
does it have sensors?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Damn the BMW pads must actually attract dust from other vehicles for miles around.

(pretty funny though!)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had the stoptech posiquiets on the front and back for about 2 months now. I'm also a local in MD... i paid a heckuva lot more than 1 hour labor for all 4. Please let me know who gave you that quote. where in MD are you?

As for the posiquiets... the front does not a pad sensor (installer tried to reuse the sensor but it broke on reinstallation). sensor now is now ziptied out of the way and isn't a big deal for me.

but the front brake dust gets dusty about a quarter as fast. I can go a whole week without it looking nasty. The back for some reason actually gets more dusty faster than the front. dust is a brownish color.

I wanna try the akebono euro pads. I hear good things about them. and for 1 hour labor i might be tempted to switch out and try.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It was induktion that said the 1 hr. labor. Mohilla or Monilla or whatever her name is that answers the phone. She's supposedly in charge of sales, according to her at least. But since I've been trying to get them to give me prices on some H&R stuff (and they are H&R dealers) for two days now without success, I'm starting to think they may be full of it. Time will tell.

I'm in western MoCo but Induktion is closer to BWI.

Last edited by LeadToRome; 10-07-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
Are there any low dust brake pad options when having them replaced at the dealer?
yes. I think NWS4Guy had the best recommendations for brake upgrades. EBC Red Stuff and some higher end fluids too I think...
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
yes. I think NWS4Guy had the best recommendations for brake upgrades. EBC Red Stuff and some higher end fluids too I think...
To each their own, but the best bang for the buck will be to keep the stock rotors and calipers and spend ~500 buck on something like EBS red stuff, Hawks, or Stop Tech pads, stainless brake lines and the racing stuff fluid flush. This will give a very good step up in stopping power at a fraction what a BBK costs.

Quick Reply: Have we reached a consensus on brake pads?