S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

HD Radio Sound Quality Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Radio Sound Quality Sucks!

I have a 2011 B8 and the HD radio sound quality is terrible. Some stations buzz, pop, crack and drop volume up and down. Some channels are ok but others are really bad. They all sound hollow!

The satellite sound quality is better.

This is my 1st HD radio so...Is there a problem with my radio or is that just the way it is.

I did some searching here and found some info, but I thought I would put this out here for you folks to chime in.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Bob-
Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sure you are on the HD band? HD is digital, so much like digital cell phones over the older analogs, it's either on or off, there is no static, you might get some garbling if the signal is spotty, but if there is hiss or pop, that's on the station's end with crappy sound gear or mics.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are three HD Radio stations that I listen to and the biggest issue that I've had with two of them is a slight echo once in a while. The local NPR affiliate's main HD Radio stream sometimes is a bit tinny, but still listenable.

The biggest issue that I have with satellite radio is that the compression artifacts and swishy-ness bothers me. Not all channels are that way and some types of music just makes it worse.

For me, I paid for the satellite radio subscription so that I have something else to listen to than music that I already have on various SD cards, and when I can't get a decent station while traveling (ie: stations that are not under CBS or Clear Channel).
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
You sure you are on the HD band?
I'm not completely sure...but the letters HD show up in the display after the staion ID.

Would that not imply HD radio?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the HD Radio logo appears to the right of the station name, then you would be listening to the HD Radio stream.

The only way, that I've found anyway, to listen to the analog stream for a station that broadcasts both is to actually disable the HD Radio in MMI.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Due u have the B&0 sound system. If so that is were you are getting you tinny sound I bet. I have the B&0 in my s5 took me along time to get it adjusted were it sounds half way decent.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Due u have the B&0 sound system. If so that is were you are getting you tinny sound I bet. I have the B&0 in my s5 took me along time to get it adjusted were it sounds half way decent.
Yes I have the B&O. So what did you do to improve sound quality?

Last edited by boulderbobo; 04-15-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm less than impressed with HD radio as well. Some of it is probably where I live, bouncing in and out of the HD band is annoying. But the sound quality is fine as long as the signal is there. Wife's car is the same, so I don't suspect my radio.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've been able to work out most of the tinny sound with the HD Radio and tweaking the various settings (including the B&O specific ones). Part of it is the B&O default settings, the other part is individual hearing.

My only complaint is that Audi took their time getting it integrated, considering how long it has been available from a competitor somewhere in Bavaria
Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found it sounds much better than Sirius

Quick Reply: HD Radio Sound Quality Sucks!