S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Head on bird strike on highway thankfully hits grill!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I've always been of the mindset that it's better to hit the animal/bird than try to avoid it. Any attempt to miss usually ends up in disaster.
Ha, this has been my exact philosophy since high school. I was buckled up in the back seat when the (ahem ahem) girl driving swerved to miss road kill (yes it was already dead!) and I woke up in the ER. Thankfully no real bodily harm but it was a great reminder that if its me or them...I choose me every time.

(also a great reminder to wear a seatbelt no matter where you are sitting in the car...)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL You guys are too funny! I doubt that anything got back to the diffuser as I have the vague recollection that the bird's carcass flew off to the left after it hit the grill. But, one small feather - like half an inch long - seems to have adheared itself to the A/C condensor behind the gril, so the head or some body part could have also made it through and may still be down there.

I was going 72-73 mph in the left lane of a 65 mph zone on the elevated 3 lane highway - pretty much with the flow of traffic. That particular stretch of road has concrete walls on each side and there's very little shoulder room. It was toward the end of lunch hour, so there were tons of people on the road - trying to get back to work. So even if I had time to take evasive action - which I didn't (literally tenths of a second), I wouldn't have deviated from my path - for fear I'd cause a mulit-car accident, myself!

I called the dealership this morning and now have an appointment just before noon on Saturday. I specifically requested a free car wash and will make sure they put the anti-dust spray or wax on my precious wheels...

Last edited by drrick89; 06-16-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper to take it to an autobody shop rather than a dealer?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Wouldn't it be cheaper to take it to an autobody shop rather than a dealer?
Dealer is free! I'd kick their *ss if they ever charged me for anything like that! Besides, any damage (which is very doubtful) could be covered by the warranty, I get to BS with a lot of my long-time buddies there, my car gets washed, and a couple of the sales gals are awfully cute! Oh yeah, they have great coffee over there, a big screen TV, a number of lounges, state of the art everything, and I get to look at all those new cars - All in all...a fun place to hang out!! Gotta think positive !!!

Last edited by drrick89; 06-17-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drrick89
Dealer is free! I'd kick their *ss if they ever charged me for anything like that! Besides, any damage (which is very doubtful) could be covered by the warranty, I get to BS with a lot of my long-time buddies there, my car gets washed, and a couple of the sales gals are awfully cute! Oh yeah, they have great coffee over there, a big screen TV, a number of lounges, state of the art everything, and I get to look at all those new cars - All in all...a fun place to hang out!! Gotta think positive !!!
Sounds like we all need to use your dealer...
Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Sounds like we all need to use your dealer...
When I was younger, I'd always be afraid to go to the dealer.

But, as an old geezer, it's one of the most enjoyable things I do these days. I've been with Audi through thick & thin - both before and after my accident near 15 years ago. In fact, I've known some of these guys - like the senior mechanic - close to 20 years @ a different dealership.

Three months ago, after my new baby got dinged in the garage, they tried to charge me $20 bucks to verify the rebalancing of wheels after the bodyshop repair. I teased the h*ll out of them, then went to the dealership manager, who I know pretty well. He waived it. Of course, I know one of the owners - and give him grief whenever I see him. In fact, I'll call him on his mental functioning and give him a clean bill of health when he deserves it!

Back in the early days, Audi was more of an eccentric/off brand. But, I stuck with 'em. Now, they're up in the top tier - if not @ the very top. I'm one of their favorite customers. Gotta tell ya - it's been one heck of a ride!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you want to get a better look at the area behind the grill yourself, the black plastic shroud that you see covering the area when you open the hood is easily removable (four screws - then pull up and out) and then you will have enough room to see down behind the grill (and enough to put your arm down there also).
Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damage caused by driving is never fixed under warranty. I've never heard of a dealer that doesn't charge to fix accident-related items. If this is the case, he's a one of a kind operation and his practices should be on the local news.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by srs
If you want to get a better look at the area behind the grill yourself, the black plastic shroud that you see covering the area when you open the hood is easily removable (four screws - then pull up and out) and then you will have enough room to see down behind the grill (and enough to put your arm down there also).
I don't think that anything's back there behind the grill. I don't wanna risk breaking anything by looking back there, myself. I'm left handed, the left side of my body was semi-paralysed in my old car accident, and while all my feeling is back, my fine motor control is still not great in my left hand. I also want Roger Beasly to look for damage first because I'd trust them more than any bodyshop!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you smell fried chicken, there is still a piece lodged somewhere in your car...

Quick Reply: Head on bird strike on highway thankfully hits grill!