S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Help please! Cannot import to Jukebox....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! Cannot import to Jukebox....

2010 S4 with MMI/Bose/Nav, etc. The owners manual states that commercial purchased audio CD's cannot be imported into the Jukebox. (I tried and of course found this true)

However, what really confuses me is the fact that all of my compiled CD's from my computer, etc. also are not recognized and hence cannot be imported into the Jukebox. What use is the Jukebox??
What can be imported? How?
Any help out there?
john.behrle@comcast.net
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

You need to find someone with the VAG-COM cable and they can set it so you can import CDs to the Jukebox.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Try importing from the SD card instead of CD's.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pyro451
You need to find someone with the VAG-COM cable and they can set it so you can import CDs to the Jukebox.
Hey Pyro! Hope all is well. Did we ever set the CD ripping on your MMI with the cable? I set mine and tried it with dismal results--20+ min to rip a CD I think. Another driver had issues with importing too after enabling this feature.

HyperS4--agreed. SD cards are the way to go. I have successfully dragged and dropped iTunes folders under My Music/iTunes... to the SD card and then imported to the jukebox, retaining all track, artist, and album info. Warning: I'm pretty sure MMI will upload duplicates if you just select everything on the SD card. I ended up getting a second SD card dedicated to uploading to the jukebox so I could avoid drilling down into each artist and selecting the tracks to upload. It is much easier to just select 'all' on the SD card and upload.

OP--hope this helps. Post away with more questions or PM me if you'd like. The SD cards are SDHC and I think the limit is 32GB per card (2 slots). I picked up a 16GB and an 8GB later for transferring for pretty cheap at Best Buy.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! I was wondering if there was any other way to import. I have both slots filled with SD cards and they both show available to import into Jukebox.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
Hey Pyro! Hope all is well. Did we ever set the CD ripping on your MMI with the cable? I set mine and tried it with dismal results--20+ min to rip a CD I think. Another driver had issues with importing too after enabling this feature.
It's "dismal" because MMI accepts MP3, AAC and WMA files, and CD's are in .cda format. You are asking the MMI to rip and convert the CD audio files into some other format.

You are far better off using a computer to do the conversion, dump them onto SD and then upload (besides being able to surf AW while converting rather than sitting in your car )
Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajack
Thanks! I was wondering if there was any other way to import. I have both slots filled with SD cards and they both show available to import into Jukebox.
If you burn your CD with MP3 files rather than as a CD, those files should be available to import into the Jukebox
Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leo--Makes sense. A PC has much more power available to convert file formats. I tried a factory CD by the way, but again asking MMI to convert the file format is a lot to ask!

Werth--good point. Burning to MP3 would likely help since the conversions are now done, but the ripping feature from CD would still need to be enabled with VAGCOM, yes? After all that, SD cards are easier and you don't waste CDs (unless you are burning MP3 CDs to archive anyway).
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Leo--Makes sense. A PC has much more power available to convert file formats. I tried a factory CD by the way, but again asking MMI to convert the file format is a lot to ask!

Werth--good point. Burning to MP3 would likely help since the conversions are now done, but the ripping feature from CD would still need to be enabled with VAGCOM, yes? After all that, SD cards are easier and you don't waste CDs (unless you are burning MP3 CDs to archive anyway).
The only issue I have had with uploading from SD is that the Jukebox sometimes doesn't recognize and ignore duplicates. If I am uploading say 7gb of files and it gets interrupted, when I restart it says there is not enough room even thought the total upload is less than 10gb. It thinks you have uploaded 5gb and now want to add another 7gb. Have to wipe the hard drive and start over. Not a big deal, just an annoying quirk.

Also use SD2 to backup all my phone contacts and associated NAV destinations. Many have addresses in a format that NAV doesn't properly recognize so have been edited with MMI and I don't want to lose all those edits (happened once ).
Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi there Zulujams! We did not enable CD Ripping, but I have done so since then. Admittedly, I have not tried it yet since I have a 32GB and and 8GB SD card installed in my dash.