S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

HELP! Windows scratched from inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Windows scratched from inside.

I had to remove the tint from front side windows (thanks to our law here in Finland). I was using a steam cleaner to heat up the film (as a lot of people have done succesfully) and the film came off nicely. I was using the following pad to wipe off the left over glue:

Today when I first looked trough the glasses in the sun light I noticed that they are covered with fine scratches! See pic below:

The pad I used should really be safe for all surfaces so I don't know how the hell such scratches came from. Can these be removed with some sort of glass scratch removal wax etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You used a scrub pad on GLASS?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle
You used a scrub pad on GLASS?

Well, I might have been the dumbest thing ever but this was used just to wipe off the left over glue. I did not use any pressure on it and I THOUGHT glass should be hard enough for that. What is done is done and I'm just trying to figure it out if it can be buffed off without replacing the whole glass.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Look into an orbital buffer and specific glass polish and pads. Probably your only chance of cleaning some of it up.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used a scratch pad on my old Mustang's rims before I knew anything about car washing. At least I got the dirt out...along with paint. Live and learn I guess.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

water under the bridge but, most installers will use a razor to remove the old glue.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FINA4
I had to remove the tint from front side windows (thanks to our law here in Finland). I was using a steam cleaner to heat up the film (as a lot of people have done succesfully) and the film came off nicely. I was using the following pad to wipe off the left over glue:

Today when I first looked trough the glasses in the sun light I noticed that they are covered with fine scratches! See pic below:

The pad I used should really be safe for all surfaces so I don't know how the hell such scratches came from. Can these be removed with some sort of glass scratch removal wax etc?

Thanks in advance.
Yes that looks like a steel wool or artificial steel pad which is used for fine buffing after sandpaper . I used that on the chrome bezel of my grille while painting it after wet sanding to buff out any grooves or scratches but it still makes very fine scratches which you have first hand experienced.
I Followed it by scrubbing with wet paper towels, then dry paper towels, then swirl and haze remover, then some polish, with a final detail spray microfiber cloth wipe down.

I'm not sure if the process above would help with glass, or even if you have those at your disposal but you can try it if you do.

I'm surprised you didn't get the chills scrubbing that steel on glass. You must have surely heard some squeaking while wiping with that.

Last edited by FatalBert; 09-12-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A family member (no it wasn't me; I have no problem admitting when I screw up) used something similar on the outside of the windshield to remove bugs and other stuff. I think he used a 'dobie' pad which doesn't look all that harsh. He had the same problem once the sun hit it. The glass company didn't even try to fix it I don't think--they replaced the windshield. That's easier to do than replace door windows though. Good luck.