S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Holds revs on 1 2 shift ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holds revs on 1 2 shift ???

Hey Guys, has anyone ever had an issue with B8 S4 6MT holding revs for too long on the 1 - 2 shift? It started happening about a year ago but was very intermittent. Now whenever taking off spiritedly, if I shift at 5200 - 5500 rpm the engine will hold the revs for an extended period. Maybe 3 seconds with the needle pegged at 5300 rpm. Doesn't sound like much but, if I complete the shift with the engine holding the revs the car can lunge just enough to upset the balance in the suspension. It definitely causes me to lose confidence because I cannot count on the car to behave the same way repeatedly.
Took it the local Audi dealer when I first noticed it and they could not duplicate the problem. That was about 9 months ago. The incidents are happening more frequently now so I dropped the car off yesterday and today the tech told me he could not duplicate the problem. So, I took the tech and Service Manager for a ride and was able to demonstrate the problem 3 times with SM riding along. He tried telling me that was normal and nothing wrong. After going round and round with him for about 15 minutes I demanded they get the factory rep involved and he tried to tell me that there are no factory reps to visit the dealer for service issues. I couldn't believe it. This is my 5th Audi and 4th S4. I have been going to the same dealer for service since 2002. If anybody else has had similar issue with B8 S4 please let me know.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AchatMan
This is my 5th Audi and 4th S4.
Sounds like this might also be your last Audi.

Sorry I can't help you. I'm still waiting to order my 2013 S4.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd escalate with a different SM. No way that is "normal"... maybe a re-flash of the ECU?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2011 and this has happened to me as well, maybe 3 or 4 times since july 2010. I just figured when it happened that it was just me, but I am a little concerned now that it may be an issue with the car.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine has done this since new (2010, 22k miles currently)but only when shifting while turning. I dont understand the correlation but I posted of this when I first got the car and others seem to have it as well. Someone suggested turning off the stability control but that did nothing. I am concerned about my clutch life as releasing the clutch with the revs up is not helping it any. I have, of course, mentioned this several times to the dealer but, naturally, "vehicle is functioning as per manufacturers specifications" is all you get. I have pretty much learned to live with it and work around it but it is my only real annoyance with this otherwise fantastic car. Maybe Audi is trying to encourage us to all buy DSG's (not going to happen for me)?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got a 2012 and this happens quite often. I am planning on talking with my dealer when I take it in for the 5k service.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got a 2012 and this happens more than a few times a day. I plan on discussing with my SA when I go in for my 5k service.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been happening to me sporadically since about 14K miles (now at 16K). I have also noted that it does seem to happen frequently at the same location on my 1 mile commute to work when making a left turn from a stop signal. . But I have not yet noticed a correlation between it happening and turning. I'll monitor that situation. But that is not the only time i experience the issue. Weird thing is that it never does it 2 shifts in a row. Mine seems to occur when shifting 1/2 and 2/3(on occasion) between 3.5 K and 4K. I have also noted that ON OCASINION when I am driving SLIGHTLY more spirited(not WOT) , when up shifting the Rpms actually shoot up 200-300 rpms rather than dropping slightly or hanging. At first I thought it was me being lazy and not using the proper clutch/gas pedal coordination or not taking my foot completely off the gas when depressing the clutch pedal. But that is not so. When the rpms hang, I can literally take my foot completely off the gas pedal and the rpms still hang at the same level for a second or so. My friend had been the Service manager at the dealership that I purchased my car(Was, and is now again the GM). I noted this problem at my 15k service. My friend picks my car up at my home, drive it to the dealership about 30 miles away and leaves me his car. He had the tech check it out but said they found nothing. But the issue persists. I have resolved myself to just live with it unless it gets worse. I know that sometimes it can be difficult to diagnose a problem when it is at the initial stage and the symptoms are sporadic. I have posted about this in the past. Someone suggested that it could be the result of a faulty clutch position switch. But this is a somewhat annoying problem. Probably a software issue in the drive by wire?????

Last edited by DrGP; 03-03-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey Guys, I knew if I posted this I would get some useful information. I purposefully left out some details in my post, holding them for the follow-up. My experience is exactly the same as "no cell". The car does this when fully warmed up and turning left at the same two intersections on my 2.5 mile daily commute to work. It never does it two times consecutively. Also just like "DrGP" stated it on the 1 -2 and sometimes on the 2 - 3 shift during spirited driving. I cannot make it happen at (WOT) and sometimes the revs will actually increase about 300 RPM while the clutch is fully depressed. This is not only not good for the clutch, but can actually cause the car to "lunge" just enough to upset the balance in the suspension, requiring a correction in mid-turn. NOT GOOD! I also told the SM and SA, on my first visit that I think it's a software issue. You guys have confirmed my findings in your posts without having 100% of the details.

I remember we used to call this power-shifting in the 70's. That style of driving always ended badly for the cars.

Anyway, the dealer still has my car and I am not going to be satisfied until this issue is resolved. I will let you guys know what happens. If anyone would like to communicate directly I can be reached at mverdura@yahoo.com.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had this happen a couple times as well (always when shifting while turning), just figured it must have been me being lazy and leaving my foot just barely on the gas between shifts (due to wearing different shoes I normally don't or something). Doesn't happen very often at all though.

On a separate note (but possibly related?) anyone else notice that when you let out the clutch (slowly) from a stop in first the revs will actually increase to prevent stalling without even needing to touch the gas? Wonder if whatever causes that is also causing this hang or increase in revs sometimes between shifts.

Quick Reply: Holds revs on 1 2 shift ???