S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Holds revs on 1 2 shift ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geesh even the 6mt's have shifting issues:-[
Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have never noticed this. have a 2010 6MT with ~17.5K.

Bruce
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi guys, i have a 2011 MT and i have noticed this as well, didn't think of it as it only happens sometimes and only when driving hard off the line (spirited driving)...
hopefully this thread will lead to some discoveries.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AchatMan
Hey Guys, I knew if I posted this I would get some useful information. I purposefully left out some details in my post, holding them for the follow-up. My experience is exactly the same as "no cell". The car does this when fully warmed up and turning left at the same two intersections on my 2.5 mile daily commute to work. It never does it two times consecutively. Also just like "DrGP" stated it on the 1 -2 and sometimes on the 2 - 3 shift during spirited driving. I cannot make it happen at (WOT) and sometimes the revs will actually increase about 300 RPM while the clutch is fully depressed. This is not only not good for the clutch, but can actually cause the car to "lunge" just enough to upset the balance in the suspension, requiring a correction in mid-turn. NOT GOOD! I also told the SM and SA, on my first visit that I think it's a software issue. You guys have confirmed my findings in your posts without having 100% of the details.

I remember we used to call this power-shifting in the 70's. That style of driving always ended badly for the cars.

Anyway, the dealer still has my car and I am not going to be satisfied until this issue is resolved. I will let you guys know what happens. If anyone would like to communicate directly I can be reached at mverdura@yahoo.com.
I hope you can get to the bottom of this problem so that others affected can pass on the solution to their respective service dept.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ive seen this but only when fully flooring the clutch when shifting in turns and spirited driving. I think it has to do with that anti stall for first gear feature. I try to shift with the clutch just above fully depressed and release it a little differently. Ihope someone learns to Vag com that RPM anti stall surge off
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeeP NYC
Ive seen this but only when fully flooring the clutch when shifting in turns and spirited driving. I think it has to do with that anti stall for first gear feature. I try to shift with the clutch just above fully depressed and release it a little differently. I Hope someone learns www.tovag.com that RPM anti stall surge off
It also happens in the 2/3 shift on my car. But only sporadically. The really weird thing is when the RPMS actually jump 200-300 rpms when upshifting when driving aggressively but not at WOT.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have noticed this on occasion,but it is sporadic and when I press on the clutch,have seen the revs rise a little bit.
IMO with the drag of the supercharger,and the power steering pump the ECU demands a higher throttle opening under certain conditions and maybe the ECU gets "confused" at times due to so many actions at once.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

maybe APR can iron that out
Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Did it again today. But again I was starting out from a stop and making a left turn. Don't ever recall it happenning while making a right turn.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default rpm jump when beginning first gear take-off

Originally Posted by stollen
I have had this happen a couple times as well (always when shifting while turning), just figured it must have been me being lazy and leaving my foot just barely on the gas between shifts (due to wearing different shoes I normally don't or something). Doesn't happen very often at all though.

On a separate note (but possibly related?) anyone else notice that when you let out the clutch (slowly) from a stop in first the revs will actually increase to prevent stalling without even needing to touch the gas? Wonder if whatever causes that is also causing this hang or increase in revs sometimes between shifts.
Well, STOLLEN, I have this rpm issue and have been trying to fix it for a year.
Dealer, of course, knows nothing and has no comments on why it happens. We cannot be alone. I have tried to alter the vaccuum on various modules just enough to diminish the occasional throttle body closing-hiccups. (this is also a nasty business our cars should not put up with!). Anyway, I have discovered this strange connection with the braking and clutch depression when shifting into first ... When I shift into first, I get the dreaded 100 or so RPM jump. If I then tap the brake slightly, the RPM return to "idle" and I can then take off in a better RPM situation. The brake pedal module must be sending a signal by wire or vaccuum to the throttle body (I really want to throttle that body !) I can also hold the brake pedal down a bit, before fully releasing) and then shift into first , to eliminate the RPM jump.

This must be solved as it attacks my sense of control. Hope others have made progress.

Trust this will help you (A4 B8 2012 Quattro)

Marshall

Quick Reply: Holds revs on 1 2 shift ???